Windows XP & Win2003 Full Source-Code Leaked. ReactOS Godsend?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zensin

Windows XP & Win2003 Full Source-Code Leaked. ReactOS Godsend?

Post by zensin »

Hello ReactOS,

I'm a software engineer much as many of you probably are. I've never looked at or written a single line of ReactOS code but this new source-code leak has peaked my interest. The kernel (And everything else) has presumably just been handed to you. Will you use it to get ReactOS stable? I'm genuinely curious. There will undoubtedly be Win32 forks coming. With the experience of the ReactOS developers, I hope you'll be first across the finish-line.

They way I see it, this leak has changed the prospect of a market-viable windows fork from a pipe-dream to 100% possible + an obvious path. What do you all think?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Windows XP & Win2003 Full Source-Code Leaked. ReactOS Godsend?

Post by EmuandCo »

Sure... a bunch of 4chan idiots steal MS code and we happily use the loot as we want. Sounds like the best idea ever! </sarcasm>

Nope, I am no software developer, but an IT guy with at least some skills in understanding what is right and what is wrong! Nothing was handed at us as we remove any traces to that leak off our forums, chat and Wiki immediately and if ppl dare to repost it, they are perma banned for being a threat to our project.
This code is the pure evil incarnated for WineHQ and our project. It causes even more possible developer candidates to be of zero use as you are tainted by our definition if you looked at leaked or not MS code or worked for MS. This code is completely ILLEGAL to use for ANYTHING as it's MS' intellectual property under their license and we are VERY likely not allowed by MS to relicense it to a GPL compatible license which we could use.
Using it anyways will be the best way to completely destroy both projects. MS will happily shoot a volley of lawyers at both projects and wipe them off existence.
Resulting of that leak we have to be even more careful what pull requests we accept and what we don't.

And now the mod part. Next time THINK before post. I only accepted this one as I can make it a sticky post for the next intelligent ideas regarding that crap code. More of these ideas will not help your account to survive very long.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

zensin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:46 am They way I see it, this leak has changed the prospect of a market-viable windows fork from a pipe-dream to 100% possible + an obvious path. What do you all think?
Read the ReactOS FAQ or the Forum code of conduct before engaging muscles that control hand and mouth movement here.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Sbal

Post by Sbal »

Sure... a bunch of 4chan idiots steal MS code and we happily use the loot as we want. Sounds like the best idea ever! </sarcasm>
That's a pretty militant response, dude

I don't think anyone is saying "Hey let's go grabb the leaked source code and just copy and paste it into ReactOS and we're done!" I've done enough software development to know that wouldn't work anyway

However, using the source code as a reference to see how things are done, how functions work, what the design process behind a particular functionality is, so you can use that as a reference when creating your own new software is absolutely a tried and true software development process. Every OS clone in the history of computing started with reverse engineering the existing OS and using that as a guide to create something new. That is how innovation works: you are learning how something was done before and usingem that information to drive the creation of something better.

That's how pretty much all science, including computer science, works. This is no different.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Question. Why do you create several accounts? In theory I must ban both now! I am close to do that already!

My reply was not militant. It was a FACT. That facts are not your strength is confirmed by the rest of your post.
We are NOT allowed to use the code in ANY way. If you don't believe me then check the law.
Not even that is needed though. We have a rule here at ReactOS as already posted. You look at the code? You worked for MS? No dev for us! It's that easy.
Regarding your very questionable definition of reversing... Only legal reversing is clean room reversing. Looking at stolen code is no reversing, it's called stealing!

And as last fact. Stealing != Science. Stealing is a crime and I am very happy that it is. If you wanna steal, then do so, but. Not. HERE!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...