0.4.13 in Real Steel doing real work.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kevin Castro

0.4.13 in Real Steel doing real work.

Post by Kevin Castro »

I decided to put KATRELL (my ReactOS pc) through some real paces—real jobs that people really do.
****My experience: In ReactOS with multiple windows open, never use Alt+Tab to switch between windows. Press [Windows]+D (go to desktop) then click on the tab you wish to switch to. I’m also able to Alt and Tab, Tab, Tab through the windows in the little pop-up box. Even if you wish to open a new program from the Start Menu, do a [Windows]+D first.

Here I am beginning a SketchUp of a chunky office-style single-monitor workstation. Material would be 25mm melamine board, edged with 0.5mm laminate. The audio shelf (top) has ended up being 50mm lower than it should be (i.e. the station should be 1250mm high instead of 1200mm).
Attachments
pic 621.png
pic 621.png (100.75 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
0.4.13: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2 [mobo], AMD A4 7300 [APU], TP-Link TG-3269 PCI network card (XP Beta driver online), Corsair (DRAMless) 120GB SSD

Kevin Castro

Re: 0.4.13 in Real Steel doing real work.

Post by Kevin Castro »

The real work would include typing up all the captions in Word 2000.
****My experience: When opening Word 2000, there may be an initial slowing as the program realises that the Office Assistant can’t load (that’s also why I can’t opt out of it).
****My experience: In Word 2000, never try to use the three buttons in the top right corner. To exit, use File/Exit.
****My experience: In Word 2000, Alt+[num pad] special symbols won’t work. And the Symbols menu box will cause you grief. Avoid.
****My experience: Ctrl+S is fine for saving. Ctrl+[backspace] does whole words, as does Ctrl+[delete].
In this screencap, you can see in the Toolbar the Printer icon is pressed in. The button is actually “Align Left”.
Attachments
Pic 626.png
Pic 626.png (199.2 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
0.4.13: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2 [mobo], AMD A4 7300 [APU], TP-Link TG-3269 PCI network card (XP Beta driver online), Corsair (DRAMless) 120GB SSD

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

The real work would include screencaps.
****My experience: In 0.4.7, I found Paint easier than Irfanview for saving screencaps. It has become habit.
****My experience: Open Paint but there is no need to maximize. Ctrl+V to paste the image. File/Save As. Select png and then change the name (be sure to leave the .png suffix in the name otherwise it may save as a bmp even though you selected png), and choose an output folder.

This is the finished station (minus a sound system). In View/Edge Style, I unchecked Display Edges.
I created the computer tower years ago by downloading some images and pasting them onto a correctly-sized rectangular prism. The BenQ monitor is one that I downloaded years ago. Here, I have pasted my ReactOS desktop onto it (you can see this desktop screencap in “0.4.13 Testing”). The image is not my creation; I downloaded the 1920x1080 wallpaper from somewhere in General>Design (years ago).
Attachments
pic 622.png
pic 622.png (197.77 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

My main goal was to give SketchUp 7 a good workout. Getting started includes making the usual adjustments:
View/Edge Style (uncheck Profile, uncheck Extension). Window/Styles/Edit (uncheck Endpoints).

Extra for ReactOS: Window/Preferences/General (uncheck Create backup, uncheck Auto-save).

I did not create these beautiful peripherals, I downloaded them years ago.
Attachments
pic 631.png
pic 631.png (465.15 KiB) Viewed 1148 times

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

With 0.4.13, I’m typically unable to type in fields online. If I have pasted text in, I can subsequently curse up/down, left/right, but no characters. Backspace becomes back, and delete does nothing. I didn’t have this problem with 0.4.12, but this maybe a glitch with this particular install. Consequently, I have submitted these posts from KARETTA (Win 7-64).
****Edit: I appear to have solved the typing. In Firefox options, I unchecked the hardware acceleration; and I posted this edit from KATRELL.

Here, I’ve checked Display Edges in View/Edge Style.
Attachments
Pic 635.png
Pic 635.png (80.48 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Last edited by Kevin Castro on Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

OK. I'm impressed. Probably the only real life online proof that ReactOS 'can' be used.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

And the best news is that, until I start using lots of images and textures, the program runs almost as fast in ReactOS and it does in XP, Vista, and 7. Apparently, the old free versions of SketchUp only utilize one core of any processor. With mine being 3.8GHz, I'm sure my bottlenecks are in the graphics. It's onboard Radeon and I haven't installed a driver.

Years ago, dizt3mp3r, you told me that if I lower my expectations, I wouldn't be disappointed. You were so right. The few hiccups with Firefox 48 are largely unimportant (ebay, with the tracking blocker disabled, is barely browsable), but Google News is usable, and the USB plugging/unplugging is rock-solid.
Attachments
Pic 637.png
Pic 637.png (68.56 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Kevin Castro wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:26 am
Years ago, dizt3mp3r, you told me that if I lower my expectations, I wouldn't be disappointed. You were so right.
Yes, that's the thing with ReactOS, don't expect too much, wait a year or two and you will always be pleasantly surprised. The same happened to me.

I am currently in a waiting period as my last test impressed me so much. You can see the epic win thread at about #82 .
I am worried that if I keep trying various apps on ReactOS I may be disappointed so I won't be trying again for another six months or so. Then I will give it a go. Real life experience using ReactOS may give you more user level knowledge of the o/s than some of the devs busy developing.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

Since unchecking the Hardware Acceleration in Firefox, I can submit all my posts from KATRELL.
Lately, I've been unable to get my Vista-64 pc to update to the latest Flash Player; so it was with great pessimism that I gave it a go with ReactOS. To my surprise (and much delight), Flash Player updated perfectly. Since the Avast Online Security Add-on seems to do nothing, I wasn't sure if an ad-blocker would work. But lo and behold, Adblock installed (it took nearly two minutes!) and appears to be doing its job.

Google streetview in ReactOS/Firefox 48 works about as well as it does in XP (or Vista)/Firefox 52esr. I can walk about half a kilometre and then I get the dreaded black bits. I then need to stand still for about thirty seconds, tickle the view slightly left or right, and they disappear for a while. It is more than enough to allow you to check shop-front parking if you are planning to visit a shop/supplier you've never been to before.
Attachments
Pic maps a.jpg
Pic maps a.jpg (953.23 KiB) Viewed 965 times

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

I may have celebrated too soon. The ability to type online comes and goes. I've just had to log out and in again.
Anyway, ebay remains problematic. ReactOS seems happy to allow browsing of ebay (in Firefox and Wine), but I can't select different images of the items, and the overall experience is unpleasant in either browser.
In Firefox, Google news is slow but reliable with or without an adblocker.
Attachments
Pic Wine.png
Pic Wine.png (339.52 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Last edited by Kevin Castro on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

Using Excel 2000 is a total breeze and I was able to whip this up without any grief at all.
The cursor makes the entire cell blink black (as you can see top-left). Often, when I curse around the sheet, there is a trail of black cells left behind. I simply press Page Down once or twice (until the affected cells are off-screen), then I page back up, and the black cells are white again. It has become reflex and quick.
In the Toolbar, you can see the 'open-a-file' icon is pressed in. The button is actually "Center". Either side of it, obviously, is "Align Left" and "Align Right". The two buttons on the extreme right are "Fill Color" (set to "Light Turquoise") and "Font Color" (set to "Red"). This jumbled sequence is the same in Word, so going straight to the desired button soon becomes second nature.
Attachments
Excel.png
Excel.png (79.41 KiB) Viewed 945 times

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think you need to contribute this to the Epic Win thread

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

I think it pales compared to your armaments program. That looks insane. You must have been heartbroken at the thought that those modules of yours might never see the light of day. Can those modules become applications within ReactOS so we can download and install them? Could some sort of PayPal donation thing apply?

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Kevin Castro wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:10 pm
I think it pales compared to your armaments program. That looks insane. You must have been heartbroken at the thought that those modules of yours might never see the light of day. Can those modules become applications within ReactOS so we can download and install them? Could some sort of PayPal donation thing apply?
I may finish them. Unsure as of now but more enthusiastic than I used to be. I am just finishing my first significant VB6 project, my Rocketdock replacement. Note I have plenty of VB6 experience, I have just never finished a VB6 project as the task is always bigger than the man doing it, ie. me.

When that is done and converted to VB.NET and then I consider how I build my C++ skills, I may then pick up that suite of military apps and run with them, building the final component in C++ that will pull them all together.

Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

No, I didn’t create this doc in KATRELL—it would have been too frustrating. Here’s why: in ReactOS/Word 2000, I can draw. But the line I’m drawing is invisible until I let go of it. So, it ends up slightly crooked. So, I grab one end (it goes invisible again) and adjust it—now it’s crooked the other way. It’s like a pair of undertakers carrying a coffin—“Up your end”, “Down a bit”, “Up your end”, “Down a bit”.
So, I created this in KARETTA. In KATRELL, however, I was able to copy-and-paste the TV; but I couldn’t ‘mouse’ it into position (you guessed—it went invisible). Instead, I was able to curse it into position.
Another oddity is that in KATRELL, the lines lost their “weight”—the network lines should be much thicker than they appear. I was able to change the monitor ‘cables’ from single-line to double-line (using the Draw Toolbar) and I was also able to change the lines to dashed. But I couldn’t change or correct their weight.
If this turns out to be the Achilles heel of Word 2000 in ReactOs, I don’t believe that too many people will shed tears—I’m probably the only person in the world using Word 2000 to draw schematic diagrams.

I’ve also discovered that the intermittent ability to type online is not limited to Firefox—Wine IE does the same thing. So, I had to submit this post from KARETTA.

On the subject of Wine IE, it does not let me access the forums from the home page. So, I have copied a URL into a notepad file and I paste it into Wine IE each time (as you can see in the taskbar).
Attachments
network.png
network.png (82.07 KiB) Viewed 732 times