RAPPS pre & post installation scripting

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qbancoffee

RAPPS pre & post installation scripting

Post by qbancoffee »

I've searched through the forum for something like this but I can't find anything.

I've spent some time this week searching for applications I would like to see included in the applications manager which means lots of downloading
and testing. I specifically look for applications that are open source, have an installer and that have been or will be archived.
I use these criteria in order to reduce the chances that the download link will break in the future.

Limiting myself to applications with an installer also means that I have to ignore some software that work because there are too many steps to get the software to run. Some programs have to be downloaded, unzipped, and then executed from the command line.

One example of a program that works is DrJava, which is a lightweight Java IDE. Although it works, it's a stand alone executable, meaning the user would have to know where the executable is because it doesn't have an entry in Start->Programs.

So my question is:
Does RAPPS have pre & post installation scripting capabilities to handle some of these situations?

If not, what is the best way to include a piece of software that doesn't have an installer?

Should I package a piece of software and host it myself? Does RAPPS have a software repository where I could include a program I've packaged?

learn_more
Developer

Re: RAPPS pre & post installation scripting

Post by learn_more »

1: No it does not include something like that.
2: The best way is to create your own installer (or add a scripting like that to rapps, but that involves writing code which most people don't seem to want to spend time on)
3: https://reactos.org/wiki/RAPPS

qbancoffee

Re: RAPPS pre & post installation scripting

Post by qbancoffee »

That's what I figured but I had to ask before I started packaging stuff myself.
Thanks