some programs I would like to see in react os

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadowblitz16

some programs I would like to see in react os

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

here is a list of programs I would like to see in react os package manager..
- visual studio (oldest version)
- visual basic 6
- chips challenge classic
- the galaxy of games series
- zelda classic (possibility the most recent version)
dizt3mp3r

Re: some programs I would like to see in react os

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Commercial apps like VB6 will not make their way into RAPPS as they need to be purchased before their media is obtained and installed. If you feel like writing an alternative to VB6 then you could ask that it be included into RAPPs but until then such commercially restricted apps will not appear in RAPPS.

Anything you need to purchase in advance will face the same restriction. ReactOS cannot act as a source of software piracy.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Shadowblitz16

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

@dizt3mp3r ah ok
is chips challenge classic still doable?
it was packaged with windows but I think the game was freely downloadable in the xp era.

I just don't know where to get it now since the website is down
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

According to the page here: https://chipschallenge.fandom.com/wiki/Tile_World There may be some issues related to copyright with the original game.

If you just want to grab it yourself, you can check here: http://www.scuzzstuff.org/chipschallenge/

But for packaging within RApps, I think you'd need to look at the open source clone called Tile World: https://tw2.bitbusters.club/

But first it must be shown to work in the latest release of ROS.
Shadowblitz16

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

@karlexceed ya react os already has tile world I believe.
I just like the win32 look of the original
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Shadowblitz16 mentioned VisualStudio. It is open source afaik. How about adding that?

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Assuming all versions of Visual Studio have the same or similar licenses, they likely have this in there (this was taken from the Visual Studio Community 2019 license):
you may not:
· share, publish, rent or lease the software
Shadowblitz16

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

I don't think we should add newer visual studio's to react os as they are written in wpf instead of win32.

I think we should write our own ide and thats actually what I am trying to learn win32 for right now
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The developers don't currently develop using ReactOS as the OS is not mature enough yet to be usable for this task and others. They generally develop using more up-to-date versions of Windows, this allows them to use the latest build technologies to speed up development. It isn't really the IDE that matters but the whole development environment including the latest compilers and build tools giving them the ability to bring later language features into play. The IDE is just one element and whether it is WPF or not is not really that important.

Reading between the lines on all your recent posts re: "A ReactOS IDE" - I believe what you are really saying is that you want ReactOS to be able to build itself. This is an admirable goal but one that the main devs seem to be currently moving away from. There is some discussion as of now, as to whether the build environment should allow the use of VS2010, the last version of Visual Studio that could feasibly be used to build ReactOS on ReactOS itself. That discussion is underway but I think the outcome will be that the use of the newer tools will prevail.

You should not expect the devs to build ReactOS on ReactOS for some time yet as there is simply so much work to do to make this a realistic prospect.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Shadowblitz16

Post by Shadowblitz16 »

The point was to provide a development environment for users to use on react os to attract developers.
The more and easier programs being written on react the more bugs are found which in turn makes react os more stable.

However I don't see the point in using windows at all for react os development once react os is stable.

Although I agree and think that react os is not mature enough as of yet but its nice to hope
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Shadowblitz16 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:46 pm I don't think we should add newer visual studio's to react os as they are written in wpf instead of win32.
And how WPF itself is written, then?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Shadowblitz16 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:18 am The point was to provide a development environment for users to use on react os to attract developers.
The points that you are missing are multiple. I'm not sure you 'get' it yet. Final attempt.

What you seem to think of as IDE is a working space, an editor that produces non WPF apps by default. We have loads of those, they are everywhere. That is NOT what is required. ReactOS is developed with a full set of language tools that provide what is necessary for operating system development. They are best-of-breed tools used throughout the industry. The first test of a ReactOS dev is whether you are competent enough to use the tools. If they are too complicated for you then you aren't the sort of programmer required.

In any case, to create something as large as VisualStudio would take all resources away from ReactOS. Visual Studio as a development project is probably bigger than ReactOS itself. In any case, why compete badly with the those already producing the best?

ReactOS has a build environment and the developer users the tool chain that he finds easiest to use. The compiler choice is down to the dev but the majority use Microsoft tools as it makes sense to do so. Making an 'ide' specifically for developers would be the very last thing competent developers would use. Why would they want to use yet another interface when the one they are already productive in, is used by the whole developer world? Experience and productive use of industry standard tools is everything in development.

Lastly, you create IDEs for languages and not operating systems, that's like making a trowel for building a house rather than for laying bricks.