Why is ReactOS based on a 17-year-old version of Windows?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

irony

Re: Why is ReactOS based on a 17-year-old version of Windows?

Post by irony »

But the Kernel doesn't change a lot since decades
are you really sure? or it's just how you think it is, based on...? it has changed a lot, even on the exposed API level. that's why it's infeasible now to retarget ROS to, say, Vista, let alone Win 10.
Albercik

Post by Albercik »

Hello Everyone!

I'm totally new here, an I haven't even tried ROS yet, but for few years now I'm looking for a Windows-like OS that will allow me to work my day job (IT administrator) using a system like W98/WME. Current Windows versions (8, 10) are just a piece of junk and maybe they are good for todays' kids, but not for someone, who started using W3.11 and then switched do W95 for very long years. The graphics are awful, navigation on system settings is a pain in the a**. And the resources needed and consumed by the system itself have totally unacceptable values.

I need a system that will allow me to run applications written for MS Windows and will also be small, fast and free of bloatware/adware/all this piece of junk that's bundled in modern versions of OS from Redmond.

I'll definitely give a shot to ROS (maybe even today) and if the project will be what I think it is - I'll try to give you some support :)

Keep it up!

Best regards
Tom
irony

Post by irony »

you know, if you decided, that shitting modern versions of Windows is a cool way to introduce yourself over here and look as a "homie", you definitely haven't hit. there are people, that might be on the same page, but as well, there definitely are ones, that won't appreciate this shitstorm tone. it's about tastes. and everyone has their own. but when one comes up and goes "I haven't even tried ROS yet", combined with throwing feces on the fan towards "Redmond", this makes not a good impression. basically what did you want to say? that you don't like Win10 GUI? well, who cares? it's not a club of anonymous Win10 haters. maybe you'd better off to try ReactOS first and then, if having something to ask, share or just say thanks, - come up and write? ReactOS is not going to be a Windows 3.11 clone. Its goals are modern Windows versions and the fact, the current target version is NT5.2, instead of something newer is not the dislike of Windows 10 GUI, as you may wrongly think. it's the lack of developers to lift the task this high.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Does his negative views of modern Windows negatively affect anyone. If not, then why continue on making drama about it.
timekeeper

Post by timekeeper »

If ReactOS gets good enough to be an alternative to Windows, it will no longer have to worry about implementing apis from more modern windows versions, because then software (and hardware) companies will adapt and Microsoft will not be a monopoly anymore :)
crackez

Post by crackez »

Well windows evolution goes like this and correct me if I remember wrongly(doubt it, I grow up with MS-DOS)

Windows 95 -> Windows 98 -> Windows 98SE -> Windows ME -> Windows 2000(proper OS with NT kernel based on Windows NT - NT stands for New Technology fyi) -> Windows XP -> Windows Vista -> Windows 7 -> Windows 8 -> Windows 8.1 -> Windows 10

What all these have in common? well after windows 2000 we just have adds and mods and nothing more

So yes many things in windows 2000 might work on windows 10, why? well due to compatibility, windows 10 is not something new, it's base is still on NT kernel, just an updated one

So if ReactOS becomes beta(hopefully soon), it should be able to run quite a few stuff, it still can be further developed to run almost everything that windows 10 runs
irony

Post by irony »

Win9x family is just as a proper OS as NT.
What all these have in common? well after windows 2000 we just have adds and mods and nothing more

So yes many things in windows 2000 might work on windows 10, why? well due to compatibility, windows 10 is not something new, it's base is still on NT kernel, just an updated one
:D you sound either as one, having ZERO idea and knowledge of NT internals and its evolvement through the history (what actually has changed, how much has changed etc). Or, as one of the Windows kernel team. what is more realistic? ;)

I like this tone: "well. that's not proper OS, cause I grow up with DOS. ... well, it's the same, just adds and mods, nothing more, cause, ya know, NT stands for "New Technology", see, Ima expurt, you suckers." :mrgreen:
So if ReactOS becomes beta(hopefully soon), it should be able to run quite a few stuff, it still can be further developed to run almost everything that windows 10 runs
suuuure, after all, 10 is just an ugly GUI and UWP, "nothing more". you just clone NT 3.1, then for a night, add some "adds and mods" (<-magic night here) and bang, it runs everything 10 runs. why? "well, cause, it's only adds and mods". :lol:
KOOLLAYDTAC

Post by KOOLLAYDTAC »

I gotta be honest as a gamer I been debating on looking at this project for a long time now and if it were modeled after Windows Bloatware 10 I'd totally not be interested in it at all what so ever. Windows XP was IMO the ultimate gaming OS out of all of the Windows versions out there and had they updated it to run on newer systems and still only require 128 megs of ram to operate the OS then you would be able to maximize the entirety of your ram purely for online gaming. As it stands now most people run either Windows 7 which requires 2 gigs of ram to operate or Windows 10 which requires 4 gigs to operate and if your on a rig that has 32 gigs of ram sure you might be fine with that, but if you run an older rig or a fresh off the shelf stock rig then your more in the ball park of 8 gigs then usually and half your ram is devoted to the OS alone. If they actually complete this project and do it up properly people with lower end hardware would be able to get more out of their hardware and even be able to go so far as to rival newer systems out there. That's just my opinion mates. ;)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Wall of words.

Could you please distill your opinion so it is clear what you meant.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
KOOLLAYDTAC

Post by KOOLLAYDTAC »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm Wall of words.

Who are you directing that to? The OP, me, or who mate? lol Might want to be a bit more clear and distill the direction of your query since the term wall of words if a phrase generally used on someone who has written a book and does not know what the space key is for. lol That doesn't apply to any of the replies on this thread here. If it was directed towards me being the last to respond on the thread then I would inquire as to which part of my statement was exactly unclear my friend. I'll do my best to clarify if need be. Take care mate. :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm Wall of words.

He is new here, so please be reasonable.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I just didn't understand what he was trying to say... Was he positive or not? After all I am only a poor English speaker by birth and found his sentiment hard to divine. A bit of clarity is not a hard thing to ask.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Jah-On

Post by Jah-On »

All he's saying is he believes Windows 10 is the best for gaming, but respects the devotion to make a lightweight Windows compatible OS that gives life to old hardware and is stable. 😀
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Jah-On wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:36 pm All he's saying is he believes Windows 10 is the best for gaming, but respects the devotion to make a lightweight Windows compatible OS that gives life to old hardware and is stable. 😀
Perfect - thanks. I'd agree with him.
erkinalp

Why is ReactOS based on a 17-year-old version of Windows?

Post by erkinalp »

Simple. Because we have the fraction of manpower Microsoft has.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2