Summer of Code 2006

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cristan
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Summer of Code

Post by Cristan »

Dr. Fred wrote:Keep in mind that not everyone has the skills to write such code. Btw the ideas come from our Project Coordinator Fireball. But you can express your objections in the discussion page.
Done. See the talk page of the article at the wiki.
Dr. Fred wrote:Afaik, this is not enough work for a project.
Maybe, but I think it would very much help ReactOS to be actually usefull. Besides: I'm sure we can expand the assignment if we want to. For example: add full OpenGL support, hardware accelerate every 2D thing also accelerated in Windows XP or ensure that driver installers from other types of hardware also work.

bratao
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:23 pm

Post by bratao »

I see some Ideias like , Clone a windows aplication, and some others stuff not relatead direct to Reactos Evolution!
At our actual stage, we need something that Really help Reactos development ! Like directX, audio support, and on....

Cristan
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Cristan »

Another idea which I've also posted on the discussion page on the wiki:

NTFS support
Linux has already an NTFS driver which enables safe reading and editing of files. Other things like creating files isn't safe yet. However, especially NTFS read support would be very handy, so at least the users would be allowed to view their files or copy them to their ReactOS partition. For this, the linux driver has to be ported. If this would be the case, it would be very handy if it would be made easy to make a new port at a later time, when more functionality can be done safely.

bratao
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:23 pm

Post by bratao »

Cristan,
I thank that is too specific , to ask the studants to port the linux driver..
The ideia shold be , Add NTFS basic Read and Write support to Reactos.
If the studants think that is better port from linux than white a new one, let´s then choice !

My prefered ideas :
DirectX support- We will enter in a new wolrd, of hardware acceleration !
NTFS Read and Write: We will start to substitute or co-extist with Windows..

reactux
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:12 pm

Post by reactux »

ideas:
*Unix subsystem with:
**unix subsystem(not as broken as the microsoft's one)
**journaling filesytem(need for the unix subsystem)

*Security with:
**a firewall integrated inside the kernel
**integrated clamav anti-virus(also with a lot of compression format support)
**other security thing such as adress randomisation similar to XP sp2,services and port manager...(less important)
*something such as selinux that can control the aplication's right(because of non trusted binaries that could become important to limit or know the things that the aplication does,for example you could want to prevent a computer game acessing your work documents)

i think that we must summit essential or hard work(filesystem support) because the developers can easely handle the rest
i think that both are very important
you need security and unix in order to be usable
by unix support i mean a real unix subsystem,similar to microsoft's SFU,not similar to colinux that already run

dark
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:40 pm

Post by dark »

reactux wrote:ideas:
*Unix subsystem with:
**unix subsystem(not as broken as the microsoft's one)
**journaling filesytem(need for the unix subsystem)

*Security with:
**a firewall integrated inside the kernel
**integrated clamav anti-virus(also with a lot of compression format support)
**other security thing such as adress randomisation similar to XP sp2,services and port manager...(less important)
*something such as selinux that can control the aplication's right(because of non trusted binaries that could become important to limit or know the things that the aplication does,for example you could want to prevent a computer game acessing your work documents)

i think that we must summit essential or hard work(filesystem support) because the developers can easely handle the rest
i think that both are very important
you need security and unix in order to be usable
by unix support i mean a real unix subsystem,similar to microsoft's SFU,not similar to colinux that already run
I have to disagree with clamWin and a unix subsystem. ClamWin simply isn't ready yet, (to slow, new versions only come out every 6 months and it's very feature lacking, until recently it relied on a unix compatability layer.) and makes it the download a lot larger. It would probably put it at 20MB making it a lot more difficult to get over a phone line.

Clamwin and a unix subsystem simply don't seem to do any work toward compatability with windows. (where the work probably should be going.)

reactux
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:12 pm

Post by reactux »

in fact it is not
it is only a way to have an usable system a lot quiker...

but as the person developing the unix subsysten is gone...we have to wait a lot before having one...

colinux normaly works but such thing isn't perfect because it's not well integrated with the OS (use a fixed amount of ram,use it's own mmu,is in userspace...)

for clamwin i wan't talking about clamwin(by the way they now use a native port with minigw and pthreads(i think))

i think you know well windows's security,that is a nightmare specialy if you can easely bypass a firewall or have anti-virus that are badly implemented

i was thinking about an architecture like vista for the anti-virus

but i think that's not the developer's priority

by the way
-i have not tested 3.0 svn(only 2.9)
-i do not know well how works an antivirus on acess scanner on windows

so mabe we sould ask for a very difficult task such as...NTFS
that would be good for:
-Reactos
-A lot of others Os such as linux,openBSD ...

MadWolf
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:19 am
Contact:

Post by MadWolf »

hi all
so mabe we sould ask for a very difficult task such as...NTFS
that would be good for:
-Reactos
no i disagree i know what i can do and cannot do using fat32 i have never used NTFS and i dot plan to use NTFS and i do not trust NTFS

GreyGhost
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:16 pm

Post by GreyGhost »

These r my personal opinions ... so i dont intend to oppose any one ...
I think posix can wait cos more important things come first ...... till then colinux aint bad ....
And considering SOC goes on only for 3 months ... NTFS is quite a difficult and large project .....

Matthias
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:43 am

Post by Matthias »

MadWolf wrote:no i disagree i know what i can do and cannot do using fat32 i have never used NTFS and i dot plan to use NTFS and i do not trust NTFS
You seem to have _no_ clue about these things. NTFS is much more stable (journaling) and secure (rights management) than FAT32. But writing an NTFS driver is a tough job, and there's a bunch of other file systems around, in fact ext2 will work with ReactOS 0.3.0.

shunt010
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:30 pm

Post by shunt010 »

Does Ext2 support permissions?


If you've chosen React as your OS of choice, then it doesn't really matter what filesystem you use, as long as it's got at the minimum permissions, although auditing and stuff that NTFS has is nice.


Maybe a NTFS to EXT2 filesystem converter would be more worthwhile?

But NTFS, I agree, is better than FAT by a long long long way. I would not trust FAT very far, but NTFS, dare I say it, I would happily trust a lot. A lot of work and effort has gone into NTFS. It's very complicated, but it is probably the filesystem I would trust the most.

It's one of the few that is compatible with RAID, which is why lots of big companies use it. I don't see any companies with IT departments that know what they're doing using FAT!!!

Maybe it's just me though.

Cristan
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Cristan »

NTFS support with all the features like permissions simply isn't going to happen. People have been trying to reverse engineer NTFS (the legal way) for years, and it still isn't even possible to safely create a folder. Let alone making usage of permissions and all kinds of stuff like that.

However, I still think that an NTFS driver should be made. Simply, because of the fact that let's say 75% of all home users have their files on an NTFS partition. Even if a driver would be read-only, it would be nice because ReactOS users would be allowed to at least read their files. This also openes the opportunity for a convert script.

Also the safe editing of existing files would be nice. With this posibility, boot.ini can be edited, and ReactOS could be easily one of the options at the windows boot loader.

Getting an NTFS driver with safe read and edit support can be done, because the linux NTFS-driver already has these features. I believe this driver can be ported to ReactOS in one summer of code.

-edit: added link to the Linux NTFS project
Last edited by Cristan on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stead
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:00 pm

Post by Stead »

personally, i do'nt see a problem with using a read only driver, then if windows is installed, copy or use the windows ntfs driver to modify the boot.ini so we can dual boot easily?

i'm assuming a safe read only driver has been created? which is also open source

Cristan
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Cristan »

Well, it's the first of May now, so the applications are open :D.

I am curious, is there actually a dev willing to spend his summer to ReactOS? (and 4500 bucks ;))

Coviti
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:26 am

Post by Coviti »

Matthias wrote:
MadWolf wrote: no i disagree i know what i can do and cannot do using fat32 i have never used NTFS and i dot plan to use NTFS and i do not trust NTFS
You seem to have _no_ clue about these things. NTFS is much more stable (journaling) and secure (rights management) than FAT32. But writing an NTFS driver is a tough job, and there's a bunch of other file systems around, in fact ext2 will work with ReactOS 0.3.0.
Well, the reason I don't use NTFS is simply because there isn't a stable driver for any OS other than Windows. I use FAT32 because it is compatible with everything, and I can read and write to FAT32 partitions from Linux.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yandex [Bot] and 2 guests