Summer of Code 2006

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Wierd wrote:Apparently, Google REALLY REALLY wants that clipboard. :P
Well, they just got a notepad.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

The first entry (mentored by Alex Ionescu) is now gone. Apparently, the mentoring changed to Thomas Weidenmueller, and Google forgot to delete the old entry.
idcarlos

Post by idcarlos »

Hi.

I'm not a Developer, only a power user... but one idea...
¿Can be used sw-shader to suport Direct-X 8 in React-OS.

The SWShader project is closed (a company buy the project or the developer) but source code are in the SourceForge Server.

Un saludo
Carlos Garcés
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

swShader is a software version of DirectX. Certain parts I think would be useful and may help having a software rendered part of DirectX, but I don't think it does the links to the hardware.
Bmwboy

Post by Bmwboy »

Crap,
You have to be 18 :(
Ah well, maybe in 4 years....
idcarlos

Post by idcarlos »

Phalanx wrote:swShader is a software version of DirectX. Certain parts I think would be useful and may help having a software rendered part of DirectX, but I don't think it does the links to the hardware.
Yes. swShader don't use hardware acelerators, but DirectX aplicacions should work with swShader + ReactOS, better than now.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

Matthias wrote:
MadWolf wrote:no i disagree i know what i can do and cannot do using fat32 i have never used NTFS and i dot plan to use NTFS and i do not trust NTFS
You seem to have _no_ clue about these things. NTFS is much more stable (journaling) and secure (rights management) than FAT32. But writing an NTFS driver is a tough job, and there's a bunch of other file systems around, in fact ext2 will work with ReactOS 0.3.0.

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]
if u defragment your hard drive every day
-I-

Post by -I- »

if im correct ext2 isn't a journaling FS either. for that youd nead something like ReyserFS or XFS

im not sure about ext3 though, -
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

ext3 has better journaling support than most other file systems. Unlike other FS's it supports Data journaling, most others only support meta jounaling.
-I-

Post by -I- »

but with less spead and some other limitations.
wonder what ext4 (now in draft) wil be like.

even though i myself would like XFS or ReyserFS-4 better than EXT3

this would still be WAY better than FAT or even NTFS ...
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Another serious problem I find with Linux filesystems is that they are case sensitive. With a Linux FS, "CMD" would not open command prompt, only "cmd" would. This would be a serious annoyance for former Windows users, who are used to Windows being case-insensitive. I think that FAT and NTFS are the only viable FS solutions.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Coviti wrote:Another serious problem I find with Linux filesystems is that they are case sensitive.
NTFS can also store case sensitive filenames. Just a matter of one registry key change and the filesystem driver (in WinNT).

MacOS X is case insensitive by default too; HFSX has case sensitive support since 2003.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Coviti wrote:
Another serious problem I find with Linux filesystems is that they are case sensitive.
This is not a largish problem at all. A few unkown points. There are a few ways to snap windows due to its handling of this. Number one the spec of vfat does not say that case insentive spliting is not allowed.

Linux drivers these days forbid the follow on vfat due to the problems it can cause windows.
Something like:
testxx~1 testxxxxy
testxx~2 testxxxxY
Poor poor windows this data can be entered on the filesystem and It does not know what to do with it at times. At least the first name let you sort it out from windows on fat filesystems.

NTFS has the option of disabling 8.3 filesystem so also supports case sensitive to fix the same kind of stuff up two the same filenames with one char a different case that should not have been created.

On linux I use a lib call caselow it home site is now gone. It handles the mess. If you enter CmD and CmD does not exist it will find anything case insentive that matches ie cmd CMD cMD.... Yet it still allows case sentivitve stuff as well.

MacOS X filesystem by default is case sentitive there is a filter in between user and the filesystem. The same applys to NTFS.

Basicly not supporting case sentitive access is a flaw of the fat filesystem not really a problem.

You can turn a case sentitive filesystem to case insentitive. But turning a case insentitive filesystem case sentitive cannot be done.

I really should do up a list of myths about filesystem from windows users. They have all appeared here.
  • That NTFS is need for permissions.
    That NTFS is the only filesystem that could do these permissions.
    That Case insentitive has to exist in a filesystem.
samwise52

READ ME

Post by samwise52 »

READ THIS POST TO GET ANWSERS TO YOUR QUESTION

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2487
MarOrt

Post by MarOrt »

Does someone knows the status of the Google SOC 2006 ReactOS projects?