NTFS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

leoedin

NTFS

Post by leoedin »

I know that it is still a very early devlopment, but would it be possible to attempt to build NTFS read support into the OS. Write support is not going to be easy, but surely read support would work.

Another question is, could you include more applications on the live CD, as then you might have a chance of using it for something (saying that, the live CD is still a better OS than Windows XP
Leo
REACTOS - RULES
Gasmann

Re: NTFS

Post by Gasmann »

leoedin wrote:I know that it is still a very early devlopment, but would it be possible to attempt to build NTFS read support into the OS. Write support is not going to be easy, but surely read support would work.

Another question is, could you include more applications on the live CD, as then you might have a chance of using it for something (saying that, the live CD is still a better OS than Windows XP
Leo
I think it would be possible, but someone has to write a working ntfs driver for ReactOS which I think is not easy and has not much priority for now.
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

I also think NTFS support has low priority. Because most of the win32 applications doesn't work anyway. So I dont't need NTFS the next time with ReactOS.
forart

Uhm...

Post by forart »

...bit old discussion. Here are some interesting links:

Linux-NTFS Project
NTFSDOS
ehm...

Anyway, i think OpenBeFS would be better for ReactOS:

OpenBFS Team Page

HaPpY CoDiNg !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
ea
Developer

NTFS

Post by ea »

An unstable NTFS IFS driver is already in the ReactOS source three.
DocPheniX

Post by DocPheniX »

Anyway, i think OpenBeFS would be better for ReactOS:
i must dissagree here if you want a 64 bit journaling file system, the best out there is xfs by sgi, they have been doing 64 bit journaled file systems since most script kiddies were in diapers. i think that if you compare the specs of Sgi XFS and openBFS or reiser, etc. you will see that XFS is far superior to all other journaled file systems.

and yes read/write NTFS support is holding this project from calling itself win32 compatible imoho.
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

If you implent OpenBFS, you can maybe implent SkyFS too, if Robert releases the changed to OpenBFS, that is what he started with make SkyFS.
And NTFS support is nice too, but first, get more apps working,
supporting more file systems is not important for now.
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
LordMicr0n

Post by LordMicr0n »

why don't you use windows nt's own ntfs drivers, librarys ?
don't buy "windows Longhorn" !
http://www.againsttcpa.com/
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

becasue in order to use microsofts drivers, you have to own windows first. So, reactos cant distribute it, since its isnt GPL compatible / leagle.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

meklort wrote:becasue in order to use microsofts drivers, you have to own windows first. So, reactos cant distribute it, since its isnt GPL compatible / leagle.
legaly seen, you need Windows, yes. But if you don't care about that just download a service pack for winxp, manually extract the files, pick out the ntfs.sys and install it in ros. I know it's not fully legal, but with captive you can do the same. :)
Viod

Post by Viod »

blah just downlad warez winxp from torrents .
:D
Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

vioD wrote:blah just downlad warez winxp from torrents .
Please do not post messages like this in the ReactOS forums. Such messages can be damaging to ReactOS' purpose and credibility. Downloading warez is illegal and as such should never be brought up in a public forum. It is especially innappropriate when the forum is for an open source alternative to the copyrighted product you refer to for downloading as warez.

Do not take this message personally. I am just looking out for the interest of the project. I don't want it to come off looking like ROS supports copyright infringement. That sort of thing can get a project shutdown in a hurry.
Viod

Post by Viod »

Why me ? That guy above me started posting stupid things about ignoring law . BTW if u dont know a word "irony" look into dictionary . No offence bro .
:D
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

@vioD, since your post didn't really express any point and wasn't particularly humourous, it was hard to recognise as irony.
You have a point though; the poster before you was suggesting basically the same idea. A general rule of thumb is, be wary of anyone who spells Windows with a dollar sign.

I'm sure there are a lot of people here who legally own a copy of Windows NT. Is it legal for them to use Microsoft NTFS drivers in ReactOS? If it is, I'd be interested to know how easy/possible it is to do it.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

counting_pine wrote:I'm sure there are a lot of people here who legally own a copy of Windows NT. Is it legal for them to use Microsoft NTFS drivers in ReactOS? If it is, I'd be interested to know how easy/possible it is to do it.
Windows XP Home EULA wrote: 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
Too me, its just says you can use only with one proccessor at a time (no dual cores / multiple instilations and such). It looks like you can, but dont take my word on it.