HW Test: Dell Inspiron 2200

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

leppy232

HW Test: Dell Inspiron 2200

Post by leppy232 »

ReactOS v. 0.4.13 release

Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Pentium M @ 1.5ghz
  • RAM: 1280MB
  • Graphics: Intel 915GM, using basic VESA driver
  • Hard drive: 40gb
General:
It functions, but slowly. Takes approximately one second (as approximated by a ticking clock to my left) to open a right-click menu on the desktop, and another two to open the Desktop Properties pane. Some programs run, some don't, but the ones that don't are ones I didn't expect not to. Dragging a window on the desktop produces visible stutter. Closing a window on top of another one leads to the portion of the window which was formerly there to remain on the portion of the second window it overlapped. ReactOS reports that it is running at 1.0ghz. Compared to the previous dual-boot of Windows NT 3.51 and 2000, the laptop is much slower on ROS than either OS. VESA driver runs at 1024x768x32, which matches the display's resolution.

Hardware working: display, keyboard, trackpad; not working was the audio and graphics acceleration.

Restarting from the start menu eventually freezes, with no hard drive activity reported. A hard reset from this state does not harm the install. Full shutdown has no issues. On 06/06/2020, 20:35 PDT I experienced the error 0xC0000218 (0x00060014, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0). This error persists. However, reinstalling solved the issue.

Programs that ran:
  • Royale Remixed theme installer
  • Watercolor theme installer
  • Microsoft Solitaire (Windows NT 3.51)
  • The Sims Deluxe menu and installer (has issues; the main menu has many images that don't load in and InstallShield fails to copy; more seriously, the installer refuses to accept the last digit of any segment of the serial number I have on the back of the jewel case so I can't verify that the actual game itself runs.)
  • GB Cart Flasher 1.1 (installs just fine and functions, but can't open USB communications; may be a lack of a driver. I'll test it out more later.)
  • Code::Blocks 17.12 (very slow)
  • gcc
  • 7-Zip 16.04
  • WinDirStat 1.1.2 Unicode
  • BGB 1.5.8 (though it doesn't have sound). Furthermore, attempting to close it with the X button leads to an access violation. Exiting from the menu works. It runs at (more or less) full speed, but with graphical errors.
  • Metroid Cubed v995c, slow and with graphical errors, though how much of that is ROS's fault and how much of it is the lack of video drivers' fault is up in the air.
Programs that didn't run:
  • Microsoft Office 97 (uses 16-bit installer)
  • Netscape Navigator 4.04 (same as above)
  • Metrowerks Codewarrior/Nintendo 64 SDK (same as above)
  • Microsoft Office XP (detects ReactOS as beta Windows 2000, refuses to install)
  • Intel GM chipset driver installer (uses majority of the PC's resources, must be quit via task manager)
  • Intel wireless internet driver installer (same as above)
  • Intel mobile chipset driver installer (same as above)
  • SeaMonkey 2.49.5 (installs just fine, and clicking on the icon does lead to it starting the process, but it doesn't open any windows and hangs at 9 seconds of CPU time)
  • Half-Life 1.1.1.0 (process starts, but uses 0 seconds of CPU time)
Next to try:
  • Microsoft Office 2003
  • gbdk
  • WinQuake
  • Diablo 2
  • The GIMP
  • Notepad++
  • Project64 1.6
  • Mozilla Firefox 3.6.8