Kernel progress?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ImperialSpectre

Kernel progress?

Post by ImperialSpectre »

Since I don't think there's a way to track the kernel development progress like at what percent is the kernel completion etc. I'm asking here, I heard somewhere that the kernel for ReactOS was nearly complete is this true and if so at what percentage would you say it is at also once the kernel is completed does that mean the direction for the project would be drivers and getting certain components to work like the modern USB keyboards/mouse and also other stuff?

learn_more
Developer

Re: Kernel progress?

Post by learn_more »

ImperialSpectre wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm
Since I don't think there's a way to track the kernel development progress like at what percent is the kernel completion etc. I'm asking here, I heard somewhere that the kernel for ReactOS was nearly complete is this true and if so at what percentage would you say it is at also once the kernel is completed does that mean the direction for the project would be drivers and getting certain components to work like the modern USB keyboards/mouse and also other stuff?
It's not possible to track the progress, so what's the progress?
Or?

ImperialSpectre

If that's the case then how would those users that said it a long time ago on this forum know when its "nearly" completed? That implies they've been looking at the Windows kernel which is proprietary I thought that the ReactOS kernel was suppose to be open source and not the same as the Windows kernel aka the coding etc. overwise wouldn't Microsoft's legal team get wind of this project and complain and also if they had the chance shut down this project if it is using "dirty" coding that's Microsoft-based.

binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

ImperialSpectre wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 pm
If that's the case then how would those users that said it a long time ago on this forum know when its "nearly" completed?
The real state of kernel is known only by core team kernel developers, I'd not trust random users saying this.

Do you have a reference or link to quotation?

ImperialSpectre

binarymaster wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:33 pm
ImperialSpectre wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 pm
If that's the case then how would those users that said it a long time ago on this forum know when its "nearly" completed?
The real state of kernel is known only by core team kernel developers, I'd not trust random users saying this.

Do you have a reference or link to quotation?
It was this thread that said it: viewtopic.php?t=18682

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Nobody knows the true state of the kernel except those that test and come up with bugs or those that contribute to kernel code. You can test it yourself and find out by raising bugs as you discover them.

Status of the kernel might be expressed in obvious terms - ie. Alpha but there is no discrete % complete metric which is what you may be looking for.

Note that chat on the forums is just that, chat between those that have registered to do so and as such it implies nothing.

It would be wise not to impune ReactOS with any baseless accusations that you may casually throw around as if they are fact. Time here might be cut short if anyone intends to troll with inaccurate statements designed to flame or incite.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

ImperialSpectre

dizt3mp3r wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:06 pm
Nobody knows the true state of the kernel except those that test and come up with bugs or those that contribute to kernel code. You can test it yourself and find out by raising bugs as you discover them.

Status of the kernel might be expressed in obvious terms - ie. Alpha but there is no discrete % complete metric which is what you may be looking for.

Note that chat on the forums is just that, chat between those that have registered to do so and as such it implies nothing.

It would be wise not to impune ReactOS with any baseless accusations that you may casually throw around as if they are fact. Time here might be cut short if anyone intends to troll with inaccurate statements designed to flame or incite.
I was just curious as to whether or not was there a percentage on the kernel completion etc. its not my intention to cause a fume with other users. What I would like though from the team is lets say more news coverage about the teams progress on the main ReactOS website I do find it is a bit slow and sometimes too quiet in giving some of us an update though that's how I feel at the moment with the news updates.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You may want it - but in truth, the devs are busy developing, so you'll have to make do with what you can pick up.

To help you do that - What you need to do is to install virtualbox, run the latest daily build of ReactOS and test it to see how it goes with you and your own preferred apps. View the epic win thread on this forum and see which apps are working, noting that these will mostly be NT5/server 2003 era apps. The release testing list will show you which major apps do NOT work.

Join Mattermost and watch the development and town square threads. Watch these for a few weeks and these together will give you an idea of the progress of ReactOS in general.

From my point of view, I have gleaned that the ReactOS kernel exists (obviously) but is in need of improvement and so Alpha is a good description of it. It works but not in all circumstances. A complete guess might 50% complete but that's just it, a complete, uninformed guess from someone who has just observed ReactOS in the manner described above.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

The release announcements alone take weeks of work to write and polish, nevermind also writing regular blog post updates about what's going on at an acceptable level of quality. If there were a dedicated ReactOS PR person who knew enough about the technical stuff going on, maybe that would be viable, but right now not so much.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thread closed by OP's demand.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.