Two decades later...what's the point?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: Two decades later...what's the point?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

gorblimey wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:37 am
Having read -- and understood -- all that, yeah, but when is v0.5 arriving? Surely a Beta can't be too far away?
You might think that but that would indicate a lack of understanding as to how utterly massive the task is. You could imagine that beta could be 5 years easily and not be wrong. Like the availability of nuclear Fusion, reactOS beta is always 'n' years in the future and it always stays that way. For fusion n = 50 and for ReactOS, n is always a constant 5.

To get a idea of the above complexity, try coding your own tool that does something similar to just one of Windows' embedded tools and see how many people it takes, how complex it is to implement just one small utility. Then weep at the magnitude of the whole task.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

I trust in Reactos and i trust of the lots of new young guys, that are keen on Reactos !

Fine, that the website got a modern "style", yes this update was great !

Think of that: the more skilled guys come, the faster Reactos will be "ready" !

5 years is a good guess for beta, but let it be 10, so what ?

ROS will be like a bomb, even in 10 years. There is nothing new anymore, smartphones are at the end, nothing more to come.

ROS will come slowly, but very strong ! It's a "world projekt" and more and more guys will join...
xpert

Post by xpert »

Linux is a world project and it's growing strong and fast. BTW Microsoft thinks, IOS and Android are OSes of future.
gorblimey

Post by gorblimey »

xpert wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 pm ... Microsoft thinks, IOS and Android are OSes of future.
God help us all. No one else can. Android? I'd rather resurrect my C64.
themrsbusta

Post by themrsbusta »

Well, Windows XP is dead, the last thing you can do for retro gaming that isn't use a old system or try Linux, is use ReactOS.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

Well, Windows XP is dead, the last thing you can do for retro gaming that isn't use a old system or try Linux, is use ReactOS.
I presently have two PCs running online—a 7-64 websurfer, and the XP quad-core (2015-2016 hardware) I'm typing this on. On this same XP PC, I'm presently streaming MSNBC cable news from the U.S. and I also have my gmail open. Avast (with its real-time watch) is up to date, my highly-regarded adblocker does its job, and, for what it's worth, Microsoft's 2019 BlueKeep security patch for XP/Server 2003 is in there as well.

Admittedly, since August 2020, the Microsoft 'machinery' won't respond to XP calling home for updates; but the updates are available if you have the patience to download and install each one individually. I installed this XP PC before Microsoft did this so I was lucky.

The most recent XP install I did was in an old work PC in September. I installed Pro straight off the disk, recycled the old COA license, and then discovered I couldn't install my SP3 until I had first installed SP1 and SP2. Whoops—I didn't realise my Pro disk didn't have any service packs, so I had to download SP1 and SP2 (one from Microsoft and one from a third-party site). In they went, one after the other, and then no other updates except BlueKeep. Then the graphics driver, and then MiniTool Partition Wizard to align the partition.

After that, I have my faves:
Avast Free, Firefox 52esr, Flash Player 32 offline setup (to later be updated), Office 2000, VLC 2.2.1 (2015), Irfanview 4.10 (2007), Adobe Reader XI (2012), CCleaner 3.00 (2010), SSDLife Free (2.5.82 from 2012 will read the Samsung 860 EVO series). Firefox have switched off the Add-ons but if you google Adblocker Ultimate, it will open up ready for install.

Yes, XP is dying the death from a thousand cuts, but I'm still using it daily at home and daily at work. Obviously for proper surfing (ebay, YouTube, News, etc...) it's hard to beat Firefox Quantum in 7-64.

I'm hoping (possibly in vain) that ReactOS will one day contain that vital whatever-it-is that says to Firefox Quantum, "Yes, in you come". In that regard, ReactOS will have eclipsed XP and Vista. Because I don't understand how computers do what they do, I don't know if it is possible for ReactOS to become a little bit '7'. I don't know what I'll do when 10 becomes the only Windows option.
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
Tyco72

Post by Tyco72 »

wildschwein wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am I trust in Reactos and i trust of the lots of new young guys, that are keen on Reactos !

Fine, that the website got a modern "style", yes this update was great !

Think of that: the more skilled guys come, the faster Reactos will be "ready" !

5 years is a good guess for beta, but let it be 10, so what ?

ROS will be like a bomb, even in 10 years. There is nothing new anymore, smartphones are at the end, nothing more to come.

ROS will come slowly, but very strong ! It's a "world projekt" and more and more guys will join...
If I would win the new year's lottery or lotto, I would spend some billions$ in the development of ReactOS, and in 1-2 years Windows will be passed history, forever. Linux as desktop OS was already born dead, and it will never be binary compatible with windows' software and drivers.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

We look forward to your win. I imagine it might take merely a few million to get ReactOS to match Win 2003. Good luck!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
messy

Post by messy »

wildschwein wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am ROS will be like a bomb, even in 10 years. There is nothing new anymore, smartphones are at the end, nothing more to come.

So in 2030 what use would you have for windows 2003 clone?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

Could you please closed this thread. The people who doesn't read the answers and repeat always the same things it's really boring.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hmmmm, right you are....

As some people are so ignorant or naive to not understand what Alpha state means and what it means to code a F*CKING operating system from stratch which HAS TO BE compatible to a closed source one... This thread is locked!

You got your answers, read them or do not. Understand them or do not. I don't care. I only care about the forum being clean. If you can check a few commits and UNDERSTAND what the changes in code do, then I can accept your opinion. If not, sorry. *points to the door*

It started with a legit question and opinion of the OP and was abused to just show that ppl don't understand what a mammoth task ReactOS tries to accomplish with a handful of skilled coders. We tried to explain in good terms and failed, we activated sarcasm and failed. So.... CLOSED.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...