Two decades later...what's the point?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Two decades later...what's the point?

Post by EmuandCo »

What do we promise? Sources please
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

larson9999 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:44 pm React OS now PROMISES the same as Linux OFFERS.
Any FOSS OS would seem like that.

I think s/he meant to say Linux is an OS by the geeks for the geeks of the geeks.
So normal people does not use it and the way ROS is progressing it may become like Linux and only geeks would use it.
I mean that's what I understood.

But if ROS is complete we would get to play all those games in a FOSS OS. :)
KOOLLAYDTAC

Post by KOOLLAYDTAC »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 am
KOOLLAYDTAC wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:13 am if you really want people actually using your OS then...
That's where you are wrong. We do NOT want users.
Well if I am indeed wrong which wouldn't surprise me with judging by the amount of years this project has been in the Alpha stage then it probably should not be advertised as the Windows alternative if that was in fact the case. It implies a functioning OS which really is a hit or miss in terms of this project and hardware it is installed on. ;)
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

You seem to be under the assumption that ReactOS has called itself a viable alternative in it's present form.

From the very top of the front page of the website:
Imagine running your favorite Windows applications and drivers in an open-source environment you can trust.
That's the mission of ReactOS!
From the download button:
Download ReactOS 0.4.13
It's not even achieved it's 1.0 release!

And from the FAQ:
ReactOS is still an on-going project and not all the apps and drivers runs perfect on it. The best way to check the compatibility is to install ReactOS inside a virtual machine
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It isn't being advertised as 'the' Windows alternative.

It is being explained as having Windows application and driver compatibility with an accurate and familiar recreation of the classic GUI. I suggest you read the FAQ from top to bottom. It will enlighten you. A little research goes a long way and prevents you being on the receiving end of correction after correction.

Avoid getting all your information from one source, a little bit of digging is really helpful. If you need the link to the FAQ we can provide but an internet search will suffice.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
KOOLLAYDTAC

Post by KOOLLAYDTAC »

My internet search was how I found out about this project in the first place mate. lol If you Google Windows alternative this OS is labeled at the top of the list. There are videos on it and everything labeling it as such. It is advertised on many web sites as such.

You referenced the FAQ well let's look at that then. The very first question in fact.

What is ReactOS?

ReactOS is a free and open source operating system written from scratch. Its design is based on Windows in the same way Linux is based on Unix, however ReactOS is not Linux. ReactOS looks and feels like Windows, is able to your run Windows software and your Windows drivers, and is familiar to Windows users.

That definition alone implies a functioning OS. You don't actually have an idea of exactly how functioning it really is and/or is not until you actually read the forums and do much deeper research beyond just the surface mate. So ya it is absolutely advertised as that because that is exactly how I found out about it mate. lol :D
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK, the text still says the truth. It IS able to run what it claims. To the extent a 0.X verision in ALPHA state can guarantee it. We have dozens of stories who ppl really use ROS, even in commercial environments. But if you expect a full fleged OS here, sorry. The 0. at the version already should have told you that is NOT THE CASE. lol
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MyReactOSWorld

Post by MyReactOSWorld »

ReactOS is based on Windows Server 2003 and I have been impressed with the progress made so far. Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are a close second to Windows 2000 as far as my favorite versions of Windows. Windows XP is much more lightweight than modern versions of Windows and I could say it's the pinnacle of Microsoft Windows. An open source "Windows XP" that can run on modern hardware and run modern software would be highly useful to me even if it's not 100% true. Open source also means highly customizable as well. I definitely wouldn't try to dissuade the developers from the Windows Server 2003 goal.
MyReactOSWorld

Post by MyReactOSWorld »

I'm not sure whether it has been other people's experience but the newest builds tend to be more stable for me than the builds from years past.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

MyReactOSWorld wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:19 pm I'm not sure whether it has been other people's experience but the newest builds tend to be more stable for me than the builds from years past.
Oh yes, you'd be right in that assumption. ReactOS is making great strides recently. Development speed is increasing as interest gathers and that grows as ReactOS starts to appear usable. Hopefully, the snowball effect will tend to gather more speed and momentum for ReactOS growth.

The daily builds by their nature will fix more and more but they will also introduce regressions. Bear that in mind. A release is coming when the number of regressions are handled. No point in the next release appearing worse than the last.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
black soul choir

Post by black soul choir »

During cia.vc era I could easily trace commits, but where do I find them now? I would like to see these speed increase
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

black soul choir wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:40 pm During cia.vc era I could easily trace commits, but where do I find them now? I would like to see these speed increase
There is an activity stream channel in mattermost,
there is git/github where you can subscribe,
there is the mailing list https://reactos.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-diffs

how many ways do you need?
gorblimey

Post by gorblimey »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:59 pm ...
The daily builds by their nature will fix more and more but they will also introduce regressions. Bear that in mind. A release is coming when the number of regressions are handled. No point in the next release appearing worse than the last.
Having read -- and understood -- all that, yeah, but when is v0.5 arriving? Surely a Beta can't be too far away?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

My personal glass sphere is in dry cleaning, so.... Dunno.