Don't make the UI like Windows 10

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

OgreVorbis

Don't make the UI like Windows 10

Post by OgreVorbis »

Hello,

I've been a follower of the ReactOS project for years, but I just registered here. It looks like ReactOS is getting closer to the point where I could actually use it as a real OS on one of my XP retro machines.

This is just my opinion, but I really hope that ROS doesn't try to emulate the UI of Windows 10. I see a 10-like theme going on now, but I hope there is no plan to make the whole UI itself like Windows 10. My dream is an OS like XP/2000 that has most of the compatibility of Windows 10, but retains the Windows XP UI. Personally, I think getting the core of ROS to be compatible with Win 10 should be the main priority. Don't bother messing with the UI; it's fine as it is.

I think if you guys are able to get the Windows 10 API emulated, this project will get a ton more attention. Given that 10 is going to be the last version of windows, this might be the chance for ROS to catch up with windows and become more popular. No one really likes the Win 10 UI, so I'd just leave it as is or at least offer the original theme as an option.

dizt3mp3r

Re: Don't make the UI like Windows 10

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ReactOS is based upon Windows 2003.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

OgreVorbis wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:50 pm
Hello,

I've been a follower of the ReactOS project for years, but I just registered here. It looks like ReactOS is getting closer to the point where I could actually use it as a real OS on one of my XP retro machines.

This is just my opinion, but I really hope that ROS doesn't try to emulate the UI of Windows 10. I see a 10-like theme going on now, but I hope there is no plan to make the whole UI itself like Windows 10. My dream is an OS like XP/2000 that has most of the compatibility of Windows 10, but retains the Windows XP UI. Personally, I think getting the core of ROS to be compatible with Win 10 should be the main priority. Don't bother messing with the UI; it's fine as it is.
Indeed, this is your opinion :)
OgreVorbis wrote:
I think if you guys are able to get the Windows 10 API emulated, this project will get a ton more attention. Given that 10 is going to be the last version of windows, this might be the chance for ROS to catch up with windows and become more popular.
Windows 10 is still developing, they just stopped incrementing the OS version number.
The only way we will every catch on is if they stop developing,
or more people start contributing.
OgreVorbis wrote:
No one really likes the Win 10 UI, so I'd just leave it as is or at least offer the original theme as an option.
Your opinion :)
I quite like it.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

His opinion/your opinion. All rather irrelevant at this point.
ReactOS UI is based upon that which shipped with 2003 and the ReactOS UI will resemble that for the next 10 years - I suggest that's a good guess and is the most likely outcome unless someone creates a theme or two or an alternative shell in that time. Even then the default UI will still be similar to that shipped with Server 2003, I'm stretching my neck out here, probably forever.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Did I miss the reason to get aggressive here? If so, please tell me, otherwise I will cool the situation down!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No-one's aggressive I think.

kolle_hond

Post by kolle_hond »

The nice thing about ReactOS, is that it is scalable from server 2003 upward. So it might get included at some stage, but you should still be able to turn it off and revert to basic server 2003 UI, at least for the foreseeable future.