ReactOS NTldr compatibility

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Do you think ntldr compatibility is important?

Yes
38%
No
29%
Don't care
32%

Total votes: 34

geertvdijk

ReactOS NTldr compatibility

Post by geertvdijk » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:05 am

Although I haven't seen it @ the roadmap, I think it is important for reactOS to be compatible with the MS ntldr... Currently (for as far as I've tried) it isn't... Will it be? Or is it already, but did I make a mistake?
:) I think it is important because it's a part of Windows, and lots of people prefer it.
-graey-

linuxgx

Post by linuxgx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:27 pm

I like the idea but what would we set as options?

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:57 pm

linuxgx wrote:I like the idea but what would we set as options?
All reasonable options MS has set as well, plus some good extra ROS things the devs and ppl will know... I just think it's important because there always will be people that don't trust ros with their MBR but maybe they will trust ROS with boot.ini...
-graey-

linuxgx

Post by linuxgx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:11 pm

:( This would require us to create a low resorce boot for the os.
How long would it take to code that.

a week mabby?

Also i want a comand prompt with full dos support, not the way MS is slowly droping support.

Also i want a fdisk like app that supports a NTFS drive.

But now im just getting gready

Yes its a good idea, go for it

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:27 pm

ive found this:

http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

How to create the bootsector file? Some smarter peeps then me probably can... Or should I use a 'ripped' MBR and save it into a file? Right now I'm testing an extracted version of the livecd and ill check if i can rip the bootsect from the .iso... but then ill get a redir to the reactos loader, not ntldr that loads ROS, right?
-graey-

frik85
Developer

Re: ReactOS NTldr compatibility

Post by frik85 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:39 pm

geertvdijk wrote:[...]is important for reactOS to be compatible with the MS ntldr [...]
Why?

We have already our FreeLoader. There is no need to be compatible here.
You can use Grub to create a multiboot setup and (or similar) to boot ReactOS (with FreeLoader see wiki) and any other operating system.

:arrow: Boot FreeLoader from Grub

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:41 pm

frik85 wrote:
geertvdijk wrote:[...]is important for reactOS to be compatible with the MS ntldr [...]
Why?

We have already our FreeLoader. There is no need to be compatible here.
You can use Grub to create a multiboot setup and (or similar) to boot ReactOS (with FreeLoader see wiki) and any other operating system.

:arrow: Boot FreeLoader from Grub
yes i know, but some people dislike grub, and dont like to install apps that change the MBR and stuff, risking the entire big thing. Something that changes NTLDR won't adjust the mbr, and keep the same look... I think it's a good thing...
-graey-

vperez69

Post by vperez69 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:43 pm

linuxgx wrote::( This would require us to create a low resorce boot for the os.
How long would it take to code that.

a week mabby?

Also i want a comand prompt with full dos support, not the way MS is slowly droping support.

Also i want a fdisk like app that supports a NTFS drive.

But now im just getting gready

Yes its a good idea, go for it
I totally agree: ntldr compat and full dos support would be fantastic. in fact - it would be great to be able to boot ROS into a SAFE MODE with COMMAND prompt. NTFS support would be nice, but the more I learn about it, the more discouraging it is. What with the different versions of for EACH version of windows.

P.S. - Someone said to me Doxygen could make me a flowchart, to see what files are run by what files. How does one do that.

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:45 pm

geertvdijk wrote:yes i know, but some people dislike grub, and dont like to install apps that change the MBR and stuff, risking the entire big thing. Something that changes NTLDR won't adjust the mbr, and keep the same look... I think it's a good thing...
Grub is stored in the MBR and FreeLoader in the primary partition (file) :wink:

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:52 pm

frik85 wrote:
geertvdijk wrote:yes i know, but some people dislike grub, and dont like to install apps that change the MBR and stuff, risking the entire big thing. Something that changes NTLDR won't adjust the mbr, and keep the same look... I think it's a good thing...
Grub is stored in the MBR and FreeLoader in the primary partition (file) :wink:
i ment to say: Some ppl dislike GRUB looks and feels, some people dislike to install apps (GRUB) that change the mbr and stuff... :D
-graey-

Stead

Post by Stead » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:21 am

i personally would like to see an option of reactos installing and adding itself to the boot.ini instead of using freeloader, well giving the option to anyway, well, however it is done if possible and someone is willing, the option to add it to the boot.ini! that way installing windows won't mess up the boot either just carry on.

linuxgx

Post by linuxgx » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:10 am

geertvdijk looks like the majorty support on the idea, if you have time code it, souldnt take long if you can find some thing to work from.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:50 am

linuxgx wrote:geertvdijk looks like the majorty support on the idea, if you have time code it, souldnt take long if you can find some thing to work from.
The problem is: Knowing C, C++ very good isn't enough to write a compatible bootloader. I have few knowledge about C and some knowledge about Windows API and asm and I can write some little patches even for kernel code, but I wouldn't try to work on anything that involves bootloader code, because I have no knowledge about how it works. So it would be up to somebody with good knowledge about how XP and ROS bootloader work. I would agree that it might be a good idea to let people load ROS from their Windows boot menu, especially at this point of development. I have recently corrupted my XP bootloader: Normally ROS boots from my hdd1 and ROS from hdd0. I change it in BIOS. But Last time I reinstalled ROS, my boot drive was still set to hdd1, so ROS has overwritten my XP bootloader. Only using XP recovery console fixed the problem. So an additional question "There's already a Windows bootloader present! Do you want to overwrite it, press X, or if you want to add ROS to your Windows start menu press A" would be nice! It might be impossible, if XP/2k is installed on a NTFS drive, but then the command could be written to a file in the ROS system folder

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:33 am

Personally, (I mean these r only my thoughts ...) like frik85 said i'd stick to GRUB cos i do have lin installed ...... then there is always wingrub which can get itself into the boot.ini and not have to be written on the MBR, if done correctly that is .... read the documentation if u plan on using it ...
:wink:
Last edited by GreyGhost on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:38 am

geertvdijk wrote:ive found this:

http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

How to create the bootsector file? Some smarter peeps then me probably can... Or should I use a 'ripped' MBR and save it into a file? Right now I'm testing an extracted version of the livecd and ill check if i can rip the bootsect from the .iso... but then ill get a redir to the reactos loader, not ntldr that loads ROS, right?
sorry i missed this earlier ... yes it can be done .... but be warned "dd" is a dangerous tool when misused ... u may end up not being able to boot your harddisk or even rewrite each and every byte of data on the hd with zeros , that is when u use it incorrectly ... :wink: just a warning before messing with it .....