ReactOS for Industrial Automation

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Giebels2609

ReactOS for Industrial Automation

Post by Giebels2609 »

Hello everyone,

wanted to hear your opinion(s) on using ReactOS for Industrial Automation purposes.

What that means is: You connect a lot of sensors and control equipment to the PC and hope it doesn't go nagasaki.

Do you think it's in a state where it'll work for that? If so, hwo well and further: Can it replace win95?

Greetings from cloudy belgium,

Giebels2609
Walt

Re: ReactOS for Industrial Automation

Post by Walt »

Giebels2609 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:11 am ... using ReactOS for Industrial Automation purposes.

What that means is: You connect a lot of sensors and control equipment to the PC and hope it doesn't go nagasaki.

Do you think it's in a state where it'll work for that?

Giebels2609
First, this is ALPHA code -- SOME of the final function is there, quite a bit of what's there works most of the time. But what works today may break tomorrow when you install a new version. And -- though what I use every day is USABLE for what I'm doing -- it does freeze or crash every 40 hours or so when I get off the beaten path.

I run a recent version every day for browsing the 'net using Firefox. Couple days ago I decided to install a newer version but that version says something about it doesn't recognize one of my devices (or the HDD? I forget) and refuses to install. That is TO BE EXPECTED at this (ALPHA) stage.

Whether you could use what's there that usually works or not I can't say. As far as I can tell the USB support does not work, though you can find reports here and there of people getting it to work on their machines. Maybe that's specific to your hardware configuration? Or maybe it was working in some prior version of ROS but got re-broken more recently? There is no support for 16-bit code. The serial (RS-232) interface works I think; I haven't used it any time recently.

My first thought if looking for a replacement for Win '95 would be a fully updated version of Win '98. People have done a lot to make that work, the USB was back-ported from Win ME and a number of other glitches fixed. AFAIK it doesn't have a browser that will work properly on even MOST modern web sites but you might not need that for an industrial application.

One man's opinion ...
dizt3mp3r

Re: ReactOS for Industrial Automation

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No sensible organisation would ever use an untried and untested o/s for such a mission-critical task. The only reason any company would attempt such a thing is if they were desperate, ie. they could not make their software operate on any other platform.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.