0.4.13 Testing

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shevegen

Re: 0.4.13 Testing

Post by shevegen »

Hmm. While I think timekeeper distracts a bit from the core topic, it should be pointed
out that he is not entirely incorrect in the sense that mouse support is very important.

I think the larger issue to consider is one that I could see e. g. in HaikuOS too. Linux
moved forward (if we ignore the systemd infiltration, which clearly is a regression); things
tend to work out of the box, for the most part (to some extent). Recently I got a scanner
to work out of the box; yep it depends on the company and support of the SANE* parts,
I get it. I also got a netgear wlan USB stick to work, although I struggle with another one.

With ReactOS, we kind of struggle more in general though. This is something I have
noticed in wineHQ too by the way - in the old 32 bit days it was much simpler to
get it to work. Now with 64 bit, I gave up with wine. It's too complicated - and that
is coming from someone who literally wrote a "package" manager and compiles
almost everything from source. I think the more general thing is that people don't
want to tinker as much as they once may have used to do. In 2005 I was tinkering
a LOT. I still tinker, but I focus on getting work done first. And I think this is a state
that ReactOS, HaikuOS etc... all should try to attain first and foremost.

I don't have the same opinion as timekeeper has, but he has a point - either you want
feedback, or you don't. And locking notes because you get angry rather than looking
and evaluating the content, is not a good idea.

Last year I did a hd-install of ReactOS on an old laptop and it worked fine. But then
it asked me for inserting CDs for installing drivers ... and I gave up on that point,
also because I could not access the www and google to resolve problems. With
Linux, the same hardware works out of the box. I don't have to do anything.

I understand that lack of time, manpower and resources is a problem, but I think
you also need to look at whether other operating systems are better in some areas.
And hardware support in Linux at this point is really quite good. On that note, it
may be useful to try to find some way to install drivers more easily, perhaps with
a wiki-curated www where more users could help maintain it. (For this to work,
evidently, accessing the www should also be a primary goal, but this is a separate
issue.)

By the way, I would also highly recommend to enable github issue trackers. I have
become very lazy; I don't even bother with bugzilla, sourceforge, trac etc... anymore,
it is just way too much a hassle. I contribute on github issue trackers and perhaps
also gitlab issue trackers, but other than that, I don't even provide any feedback to
"oldschool" anymore simply because it is too much of a hassle these days. I can
not say how many others are like that, but if you want to get more feedback then
it may be better to expand on how people could contribute. I don't mind to give
more feedback, but the higher the barrier for doing so, the less likely I can warrant
the time investment for this compared to other things to do - that has nothing to
do with my personal like or dislike of ReactOS. I think the project is great. But
time is a limited resource for everyone, including contributors and casual users
too.

So TL;DR: hardware support should ideally work out of the box, or have simple
means to install it via the www, with more users being able to contribute e. g.
downloadable URLs (evidently still has to be checked that these are from
official sites; and perhaps some GUI widget where people can correct this
"live").
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes, OF COURSE!

but ReactOS is NOT FINISHED YET!!!!!

So, there is no comparison. You don't seem to understand, you should NOT be using it or complaining that you can't use a mouse as it is UNUSABLE
as it is UNFINISHED. Why is that so COMPLICATED?

The CAPSLOCK business is the shouting just so you understand.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

Firstly, to anyone who can’t seem to get a USB mouse (in real steel):
1. Complete the install. You don’t need a mouse yet. Use Tab and spacebar to fill in the fields.
2. If you have no mouse after the install, restart and curse down to “debug” boot (every time).

It worked for me in twelve (0.4.12); and nobody had to tell me about it—I simply tried it because it was there. Obviously, there is no guarantee it will work on every machine, but I was never going to give up until I had explored everything my simple mind could think of.

In thirteen, I no longer need to do it—the USB mouse works perfectly in a ‘hands-free’ boot. This is a clear indication that the ReactOS team is fixing more issues with each version and that ReactOS is becoming a friendlier animal with each release.

Secondly, it is disappointing that some people seem unable to exercise any serious level of self-constraint in the forums. Yes, frustration with an alpha-stage Operating System is perfectly understandable—does anyone imagine that I haven’t yelled myself hoarse cursing ReactOS? On two consecutive nights (with 0.4.9) I woke the babies on Mars. But my temper erupts only at my ReactOS pc—never at the ReactOS team.

Thirdly, there is no prize for attempting to ridicule the effort.

And finally; yes, I posted this from KATRELL (my ReactOS pc). I copied and pasted the text from a Word doc.
Attachments
pic 803a.png
pic 803a.png (732.05 KiB) Viewed 9223 times
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

I would just like to clarify (before I am misunderstood); dizt3mp3r, you were not the target of anything I wrote in my previous post. I was worried about having followed behind your post in which you seemed quite annoyed at some of the negativity. By the way, when are you going to give your hardware another go? I suppose I should think about gambling with a sound card.
Attachments
pic 804.png
pic 804.png (431.64 KiB) Viewed 9216 times
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK, and now we all cool down a lil bit...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Kevin Castro wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am frustration with an alpha-stage Operating System is perfectly understandable—does anyone imagine that I haven’t yelled myself hoarse cursing ReactOS? On two consecutive nights (with 0.4.9) I woke the babies on Mars. But my temper erupts only at my ReactOS pc—never at the ReactOS team.
Oh, gosh yes. ReactOS frustrates me too. I only ever test it in a VM as I can be sure there at least I'll have something like an o/s to look at during the test. With hardware you can be fairly sure that a lot of work will be undertaken only to prove that ReactOS still doesn't work - and you knew that anyway.

I'm still unconvinced by the idea of running ReactOS on real h/w. The slow speed of ReactOS development and the ever quicker emergence of multicore systems that can run more than one o/s well in a VM, makes me feel that ReactOS has a home as a guest o/s. Catching up with newer and potentially more divergent hardware when the o/s has yet to even approach beta gives me an indication that besides older laptops, ReactOS' niche will be in a VM.

In a VM I do get quite excited at how much of ReactOS does actually work. Some more testing coming soon.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
menuhin

Post by menuhin »

timekeeper wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:42 pm I tested ReactOS more than 5 years ago, and discovered it was quite useless for me, it didn't support my usb-mouse.
I am testing 0.4.14 and there usb mouse working properly.
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

timekeeper wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:42 pm I tested ReactOS more than 5 years ago, and discovered it was quite useless for me, it didn't support my usb-mouse.
Better options exist to run Windows code without violating copyright via Linux. ReactOS likely will never support a basic USB mouse on real hardware. The target for ReactOS was 8086, but is now more or less limited to running inside a VM.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Ancient wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:15 am
Better options exist to run Windows code without violating copyright via Linux. ReactOS likely will never support a basic USB mouse on real hardware. The target for ReactOS was 8086, but is now more or less limited to running inside a VM.
What are you talking about? If this pile of b*sh*t is meant as trolling, I might still understand the meaning, otherwise NOT.
- We are not violating copyright. If you claim that I wanna see a proof! No proof or big sorry today means I ban you tomorrow for trying to harm the project!
- ReactOS supports USB mice quite nice in nightly. If you have no clue, maybe you should STFU?
- The target is what?? Intel's 8086 is from 1978 and can't even run Windows 3.1 and of course NO NT based OS. We target Intel 686+ and amd64 cpus for the 32 and 64 bit versions!

O.M.G. I never ever saw so much false claims and b*sh*t in 3 sentences before!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am
What are you talking about? If this pile of b*sh*t is meant as trolling, I might still understand the meaning, otherwise NOT.
- We are not violating copyright. If you claim that I wanna see a proof! No proof or big sorry today means I ban you tomorrow for trying to harm the project!
- ReactOS supports USB mice quite nice in nightly. If you have no clue, maybe you should STFU?
- The target is what?? Intel's 8086 is from 1978 and can't even run Windows 3.1 and of course NO NT based OS. We target Intel 686+ and amd64 cpus for the 32 and 64 bit versions!

O.M.G. I never ever saw so much false claims and b*sh*t in 3 sentences before!
Like said by EmuandCo, the target is NT 5.1 (Windows 2003 Server/XP), and the forward compatibility is possible with Win7 and W10. Why said is b*sh*t, if you don't understand the goal of the project, pass your way and don't disturb the others.
Xgemone

Post by Xgemone »

EmuandCo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:22 pm We have another release coming up! Please support us in testing for regressions.

https://reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.13

Thanks!
Without problems, tomorrow I will try
wait feedback
gljukonaft

Post by gljukonaft »

I burn disk and try install 0.4.13. but after installation ReactOS not booting. Had to return 0.4.12.

And I found bug in 0.4.12 when use my GALAXY ORGANIZER. When system shutdown ReactOS don't message to GALAXY ORGANIZER about system termination and data loss occur.

GALAXY ORGANIZER handle messages: WM_QUERYENDSESSION, WM_ENDSESSION

http://soft.self-made-free.ru/gorg_public_a_1.0001.7z
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Try the daily build, 0.4.13 is rather old now.
gljukonaft

Post by gljukonaft »

I try https://iso.reactos.org/bootcd/reactos- ... lin-dbg.7z
1. FAT32 only. When I try install on BTRFS error when create dir /ReactOS .
2. On FAT32 installed and run succesfully.
3. Error when system shutdown stay up.
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 am
I think that he was maybe saying that there are ways to run Windows code in Linux without a pirated version of Windows (in a VM). But regardless he should have chosen more careful words, indeed.