Two images on same disk!!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jason.b.c

Two images on same disk!!

Post by jason.b.c » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:25 am

Ok so here's what i would like to do,

I've downloaded both the live and install react os.

I would like to put both of them on one disk yet still be able to have the option at the start of the disk ( the boot screen ) to choose either live or install, like this>

Press enter to live boot.
or
Type install at the prompt, then press enter.

The reason why i want to do it this way is well 50mb on one disk?
isn't that kind of a waste of good extra space??

50mbx2=100mb not 700mb !!!

Is there any way to do this? and still make everything work out right?

Is there any way to make a boot option menu for these two images?

Please help me!!

I know this has already been done with ubuntu warty warthog and hoary hedgehog.... not breezy though!

Blazkowicz

Post by Blazkowicz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:35 am

check the Ultimate Boot CD.
it's a handy tool which includes a lot of 1.44MB boot images, DOS or linux for the most part, with partition tools, RAM and stability testing, HDD tools and other. there seems to be a way to add another images to it.

another option, simply use two CD-RW. will be optimal for testing SVN builds or later releases ;)

jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:36 am

there seems to be a way to add another images to it!
To the ultimate boot cd?

Or the disk i wanna create??
Last edited by jason.b.c on Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blazkowicz

Post by Blazkowicz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:39 pm

I mean to the ultimate boot cd, yes.
I looked a bit on their site and found this tutorial on how to add a windows XP live CD to it but that might be troublesome and only for one version, or not at all. so if you don't want to bother, forget it.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=710
and http://users.pcnet.ro/sadyc//anyCDintoUBCD.html

now I remember that UBCD is primarily used to integrate a lot of IMG files (floppy disk images), support for ISO seems more complicated. seems to really support "ISOLINUX" kind of boot CD, I don't know if reactos can do that. (I guess no, this is not linux but a windows clone using ntldr..)

it sucks that I not have the bandwith anymore to download all these things, including reactos ISO's and qemu image.. (I am in more rural area now due to housing crisis and 56K only till some planned mesh wifi network reaches the house :))

for a simple way to put your two ISOs on the same CD, I have no other idea at all.
would be nice is developers made a CD that both function as Live CD and install CD (knoppix can do it). maybe for some ongoing release ? ;)
a floppy boot image would be nice as well.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:25 pm

Klemens Friedl posted some ideas about that on the mailing list: Make the install from a livecd. Like booting ReactOS livecd, then being directly in 2nd stage setup, configure everything (or load config from floppy/usb stick) and then install.
I hope this will come. It will make ReactOS a lor more user friendly (non GUI setup may be a little frightening to rookies). You can see and work with ReactOS, before installing it. And it would be great to have only one stage of installation, go away for 30 minutes or so and after reboot, everything is ready and configured!
And you could get rid of the recovery console: Just boot your installcd, logon to your installation and do whatever is neccessary with the integrated GUI tools (explorer, regedit, cpls,...) instead of only console.

jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:46 am

Blazkowicz wrote:I mean to the ultimate boot cd, yes.
I looked a bit on their site and found this tutorial on how to add a windows XP live CD to it but that might be troublesome and only for one version, or not at all. so if you don't want to bother, forget it.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=710
and http://users.pcnet.ro/sadyc//anyCDintoUBCD.html

now I remember that UBCD is primarily used to integrate a lot of IMG files (floppy disk images), support for ISO seems more complicated. seems to really support "ISOLINUX" kind of boot CD, I don't know if reactos can do that. (I guess no, this is not linux but a windows clone using ntldr..)

it sucks that I not have the bandwith anymore to download all these things, including reactos ISO's and qemu image.. (I am in more rural area now due to housing crisis and 56K only till some planned mesh wifi network reaches the house :))

for a simple way to put your two ISOs on the same CD, I have no other idea at all.
would be nice is developers made a CD that both function as Live CD and install CD (knoppix can do it). maybe for some ongoing release ? ;)
a floppy boot image would be nice as well.
You said that you don't have the band width to download the react os images because you only have dialup, Well i've got dialup and i did it!
The download size is only 14-15mb, but burnt to a cd it's more like 50mb or so! , Because it unzips and expands to the cd!

And as for what you said about the U,B,CD i wish that i could download it too! I found it here awile back now and thought "wow cool"
this is not linux but a windows clone using ntldr..)
I thought it was linux?? A linux and windows hybrid?! With freeldr.exe?
Last edited by jason.b.c on Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:51 am

jason.b.c wrote: I thought it was linux?? A linux and windows hybrid?! With freeldr.exe?
No, this is nothing to do with Linux.
ReactOS is open source Windows.

We have our own kernel, based on the NT5 kernel and our whole arcitecture from drivers up to user interface simulates the Windows architecture.

jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:13 am

Ged wrote:
jason.b.c wrote: I thought it was linux?? A linux and windows hybrid?! With freeldr.exe?
No, this is nothing to do with Linux.
ReactOS is open source Windows.

We have our own kernel, based on the NT5 kernel and our whole arcitecture from drivers up to user interface simulates the Windows architecture.
Hey Ged, just wanted to say then good job making react os..!

Now when i booted up the live image i noticed that alot of things weren't working, like the desktop properties, where you change your wallpaper and things?

Everything works in the install image., right?

How much stuff ( if any )needs to be added to this OS to make it like windows?? like ,network and dialup connections? defragmenter?
etc etc..

I also noticed it didn't pick up my floppy drive?!!
And also i couldn't drag icons around.

but other than that great job!!

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:22 am

It's still very much work in progress. Our version number is approaching 0.3, which is still quite a way off 1.0
It's taken 8 years to reach 0.3, but it won't take as long to reach 1.0. Our development rate is increasing.

Most of what you mentioned doesn't work correctly yet.
Networking works with certain network cards, but you have to config the address via the registry at the moment.

jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:59 am

Ged wrote:It's still very much work in progress. Our version number is approaching 0.3, which is still quite a way off 1.0
It's taken 8 years to reach 0.3, but it won't take as long to reach 1.0. Our development rate is increasing.

Most of what you mentioned doesn't work correctly yet.
Networking works with certain network cards, but you have to config the address via the registry at the moment.
Well then might you be able to answer my question above????

I'm kinda curious to know if it's even possible!??

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:55 am

Well, for me, the ReactOS networking works perfectly, well IP config that is... I dont know if there is DHCP implemented, but it works as if there is DHCP...