WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem
Posts: 628
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:59 pm
Location: New Hampshire of United States of America
Contact:

WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Post by tomleem » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:28 pm

:?: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wi ... gle+Search
If they can install WinXP on on a MAC, why not ReactOS? :?:

8) (the above link using Google and 'winxp mac'
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

geertvdijk
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 am

Post by geertvdijk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:56 am

on an intel-based mac they probably can (at least with less porting)
-graey-

cmoibenlepro
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by cmoibenlepro » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:12 pm

Does someone on the team have a mac?

Matthias
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:43 am

Re: WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Post by Matthias » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 pm

tomleem wrote::?: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wi ... gle+Search
If they can install WinXP on on a MAC, why not ReactOS? :?:

8) (the above link using Google and 'winxp mac'
Intel Macs don't use the BIOS, they use EFI. Porting ReactOS would be quite a bit of work. Plus, i don't see the point yet.

ThePhysicist
Developer
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Re: WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Post by ThePhysicist » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:11 am

Matthias wrote:Plus, i don't see the point yet.
:idea: Because most people using a mac defenitely hate mac os and really love windows, but they don't have any money to buy a license. What they want is a free, WinXP compatible and lookalike OS running on their mac! :wink: :roll:
:twisted:

jgombos
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:05 am

Re: WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Post by jgombos » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:44 pm

Matthias wrote: Intel Macs don't use the BIOS, they use EFI. Porting ReactOS would be quite a bit of work. Plus, i don't see the point yet.
I don't believe ReactOS will have to know about EFI, for the same reason people can run XP on Macs. Boot Camp probably emulates the PC BIOS, so I would expect ROS to run without any mods in that environment.

As far as how practical it is, I think it's very practical. Mac users who want to run Windows as a guest operating system are likely to only run a few simple but obscure Windows-only apps, while doing the brunt of their work in OS/X. These users do not want to have buy a retail version of XP in addition to Boot Camp. Nor do they want all that bloat that comes with XP when ROS can fit the bill, at no cost.

Now to counter myself, I actually feel that ReactOS should consider supporting EFI - but that's another matter. I'll start a thread on that next.

FORCE
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:09 pm

Post by FORCE » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:24 pm

FIRST reactos should reach to stable for x86 then let developers think about porting.

jgombos
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:05 am

Post by jgombos » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 pm

FORCE wrote:FIRST reactos should reach to stable for x86 then let developers think about porting.
Perhaps, but then there's a risk associated with making the ports an afterthought. Design decisions that target a single architecture may be critically different from design decisions that account for all target platforms.

elektrik
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:20 am

Post by elektrik » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:06 am

jgombos wrote:
FORCE wrote:FIRST reactos should reach to stable for x86 then let developers think about porting.
Perhaps, but then there's a risk associated with making the ports an afterthought. Design decisions that target a single architecture may be critically different from design decisions that account for all target platforms.
In this particular case, I doubt that there would be much of an issue, since XP itself wasn't designed for the Mac and yet it runs well enough....

samwise52
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:14 pm

x86 Macs and bootcamp

Post by samwise52 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:17 pm

I see no reason why it wouldnt work, even tho (as i understand it) bootcamp installs driver for the mac hardware, if windows can do it, we probably can....

We need someone to test! Anyone got a Intel x86 Mac??
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4

Matthias
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:43 am

Re: WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Post by Matthias » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:23 pm

jgombos wrote:
Matthias wrote: Intel Macs don't use the BIOS, they use EFI. Porting ReactOS would be quite a bit of work. Plus, i don't see the point yet.
I don't believe ReactOS will have to know about EFI, for the same reason people can run XP on Macs. Boot Camp probably emulates the PC BIOS, so I would expect ROS to run without any mods in that environment.
True, but when i posted that, Boot Camp didn't even exist.

maconly
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 11:27 pm

reactos complement of osX

Post by maconly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi,

Mac user, like me, hate window. Unfortunately, some programs because of market share, are limited to windows only.

For us having the hability to run window is not a choice of taste, just a pratical necessity. I have now a mac an for work a pc. When I change my mac next year I will drop my pc and work only with my mac and the pc software on that mac.

To do so I have now many choise. Since paying for a window license just to be able to run windows only program is verry, verry, verry frustrating. I have already the greatest os so....

React os could be verry appealing for us to be able to run pc software inside the mac.

For now, at least, I have some option.

1- osX leopard rumor to support win api (doesn't beleive it. to nice to be true)
2- using wine (darwine) to let these win api run under mac os (the second best way if wine was mature enough to support pc softwares not limited choosen Microsoft product). I will try this solution first but I'm sure none of the programs I use will work.
3-- using a win clone. We only need the ability to run pc software not having a full feature win clone. We have everything we need inside os X. So, I will put a try on react os inside parallel virtual machine to see if it could handle pc software. If yes, I stop there. If not.... So all the work done here is maybe what's mac user is looking foward. Maybe one day Parallel will bring their vm with reactos preconfigure. For now, the buz on this software show the mac need for the hability to run pc software on the mac.
4- using a basic copy of windows, not for the os but to be able to run pc software hoping they will release a mac version...

VincentMX
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:55 am

Re: WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Post by VincentMX » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:08 am

ThePhysicist wrote:
Matthias wrote:Plus, i don't see the point yet.
:idea: Because most people using a mac defenitely hate mac os and really love windows, but they don't have any money to buy a license. What they want is a free, WinXP compatible and lookalike OS running on their mac! :wink: :roll:
:twisted:
i think youŕre quite wrong there. i use mac, and it really owns. second i _can_ afford a windows license, i just dont _want_ to. and try joining #macintosh or #macosx on any irc network, and say
ThePhysicist wrote:i hate mac os and really love windows
i think the first thing they'd say is LOL or ROFL or ROFLOL, and im quite sure you'd get either kicked or kickbanned. :D

cheers
VincentMX

DementedHacker
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Re: WinXP on a MAC; why not ReactOS?

Post by DementedHacker » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:46 pm

ThePhysicist wrote:
Matthias wrote:Plus, i don't see the point yet.
:idea: Because most people using a mac defenitely hate mac os and really love windows, but they don't have any money to buy a license. What they want is a free, WinXP compatible and lookalike OS running on their mac! :wink: :roll:
:twisted:
Anyone who hates Mac OS wouldn't even buy a mac, which shoots your argument out of the water. :roll:

walter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: north italy

Post by walter » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:23 pm

...except if he needs it for work or other motivations.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DotBot [Crawler], Google [Bot] and 5 guests