Search to use NTFS indexing

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Search to use NTFS indexing

Post by dizt3mp3r »

In one of the other threads we mentioned features we don't want in ReactOS that later versions of Windows provide, one of those is the dreaded green bar in explorer when Windows is discovering the files present in a folder or series of nested folders. Windows search is notorious for failing to find files that are in plain view - as its continuously indexing search method has not yet got around to finding the files in question.

The unreliability and slowness of a file search leads to a plethora of alternative search tools, each of which are superior in some respect to the in-built search that NT6 systems have. One of these is 'everything' by Voidtools that uses direct access to the NTFS index and journalling system of any NTFS drive it encounters and the resulting search is more or less instant. Certainly superior to Windows search.

This would be extremely useful functionality to add to ReactOS that might give it a leap ahead with regard to search speed on NTFS systems over Windows. Of course it only applies to NTFS drives and is going to be limited at the moment by ReactOS implementation of NTFS but it can all be tested on MS formatted NTFS drives. I am not suggesting we add this now nor in the near future as it does not replicate existing Windows functionality but it could be a great selling point with the idea of a quicker functioning file system on ReactOS.

There are open source implementations of this technology that could form the starting base:
o NTFS-Search https://sourceforge.net/projects/ntfs-search/
o SwiftSearch https://sourceforge.net/projects/swiftsearch/

FAT drives would have to revert to basic search methods. Anyone who knows how BTRFS functions can comment here if they choose as to its suitability for a more low level search as suggested above. I know BTRFS does not have a journal for updates but it must have some sort of index, coding to handle BTRFS would obviously have to be a separate task.

It might make sense to add the advanced search using the NTFS index to the list of potential Google Summer of Code tasks? Your thoughts please.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

ThFabba
Developer

Re: Search to use NTFS indexing

Post by ThFabba »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:07 pm
I am not suggesting we add this now nor in the near future
The problem I see is that by the time we do get around to implementing something like this, the outcome of this discussion is likely to be forgotten and/or irrelevant given updated design constraints.
So I'm not sure I see the point of having the discussion at this time. Unless you're just into discussing hypotheticals of course, in which case, have fun!

dizt3mp3r

Re: Search to use NTFS indexing

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well, the idea of suggesting things on the forum should not be to dismiss them just because development of ReactOS is SO slow that everyone might be dead before such a good idea is implemented.

Sometimes we need to look at the potential of a suggestion and think as to whether it might be a good idea, see what others think of it and listen to any responses, it might stimulate some thought and possibly some actual work. That is what forums are for.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.