Upload filters

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Upload filters

Post by erkinalp »

Proposed EU copyright directive requires automated upload filters (something like YouTube ContentID) and this can cause a sharp decrease in contributions. It will also make difficult for newcomers as a significant contribution will be required for each commit, because copyright filter is costly to run.
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... XML+V0//EN
Last edited by erkinalp on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
binarymaster

Re: Upload filters

Post by binarymaster »

How this all is related to "Development Help" forum section?
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Newcoming developers will need to fight "copyright" filters. It is related to developers in that regard.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

It is something new to spam everywhere, he is also putting crap like this on the mailing list...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Upload filters will unfortunately hurt us. We already have necessary background checks to avoid copyright infringements, yet the proposal does not have safe harbour provisions requiring a low false negative, high false positive upload filter (even though it does not mention the words "upload filter"). Even YouTube, which has necessary technology, opposes this.
GitHub reacted like this when they first proposed that: https://blog.github.com/2018-03-14-eu-p ... ters-code/
I do not think open source community has sufficient manpower that can implement a sufficiently accurate content filter.
Why did you think discussion on upload filters is spam? If this becomes law, we will have to fight it every day.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It's no spam, that for sure. But lets wait until things really become a problem and support the side against it before we go rogue in here, ok?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
justincase

Post by justincase »

That's crazy! When I read the thread title, I thought it was either a joke, or some paranoid theory, but it looks like some people actually want to enforce this kind of thing.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

One would think that Atlassian would be responsible for content hosted on JIRA, similarly for GitHub and the ROS repo there.

This would leave just the wiki for the ReactOS org itself to monitor, right? (I exclude the forum because one cannot upload content here, just post links.)
middings

Post by middings »

I expected the original poster (OP) who started this topic to supply one or more appropriate web links to a fair, unbiased explanation of the proposed EU directive that the OP fears.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

justincase wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 pmbut it looks like some people actually want to enforce this kind of thing.
Yes, they want to censor us but cannot call it censorship because it is "bad". They use a different name as a disguise. In this case, upload filters. Copyright itself had been a form of censorship when it first originated.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

karlexceed wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 pmThis would leave just the wiki for the ReactOS org itself to monitor, right? (I exclude the forum because one cannot upload content here, just post links.)
The forum will also need something like Turnitin or Copyscape.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Amendment 143 from OP's link:
Certain information society services, as part of their normal use, are designed to give access to the public to copyright protected content or other subject-matter uploaded by their users. The definition of an online content sharing service provider under this Directive shall cover information society service providers one of the main purposes of which is to store and give access to the public or to stream significant amounts of copyright protected content uploaded / made available by its users, and that optimise content, and promote for profit making purposes, including amongst others displaying, tagging, curating, sequencing, the uploaded works or other subject-matter, irrespective of the means used therefor, and therefore act in an active way. As a consequence, they cannot benefit from the liability exemption provided for in Article 14 of Directive 2000/31/EC. The definition of online content sharing service providers under this Directive does not cover microenterprises and small sized enterprises within the meaning of Title I of the Annex to Commission Recommendation 2003/361/EC and service providers that act in a non-commercial purpose capacity such as online encyclopaedia, and providers of online services where the content is uploaded with the authorisation of all right holders concerned, such as educational or scientific repositories. Providers of cloud services for individual use which do not provide direct access to the public, open source software developing platforms, and online market places whose main activity is online retail of physical goods, should not be considered online content sharing service providers within the meaning of this Directive.
(Emphasis added by me.)

If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like if your website isn't trying to generate profit, or if it's for open source development, it may be able to claim exemptions from some of these rules.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Latest amendment proposal: https://www.politico.eu/wp-content/uplo ... uary-8.pdf
This will concern us, by being public in more than 3 years.
Quim

Post by Quim »

This is the "New World Order" applying to Internet control and domination.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

erkinalp wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:54 am Latest amendment proposal: https://www.politico.eu/wp-content/uplo ... uary-8.pdf
This will concern us, by being public in more than 3 years.
Yes, proposal... Nothing is yet law in this document.

Also, it only states that the organization must, "act expeditiously, upon receiving substantiated notice, to remove or disable access to copyrighted works." This isn't really an issue for ReactOS - how many copyrighted works are being uploaded here? None, as far as I'm aware... And if they are, as long as they're removed upon request, we're all good.
Quim wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:07 am This is the "New World Order" applying to Internet control and domination.
Can we please stop with the conspiracy crap on this forum?

There is a real risk that rules like this may lead to a more fractured internet, and yes, it can be argued that this is some sort of power grab by governments, but it's not unreasonable that a government would want to impose regulations in order to protect their interests (especially economic interests). This is no "NWO", but just a natural extension of the way things have always worked.