How Did U Find Out About ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wolvenwraith

Post by wolvenwraith »

Slashdot's article announcing the 0.2.0 release.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Open Windows to ReactOS

Post by Jaix »

It was a long time ago, I was following some projects that had an ambition to build a Windows compatible operating system, first I was looking at Open Windows but nothing was actually happening on this project, later I discovered ReactOS (it was harder to find because it's name hadn't anything with windows to do) but I think there was a link on open windows site or if I found ReactOS on www.freeos.com. I looked in my ReactOS download folder, and I found version 0.0.19 there downloaded early in 2002. I have followed this project with great antisipation, and now when network is up-n-runing I am thrilled by the things to come in the future.
God bless ReactOS!
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

I found out about it at wikipedia.
Last edited by Dr. Fred on Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Like Jaix, I stumbled over ReactOS many years ago when I was looking at alternative (Win32-compatible or not) OSs.

Back then it was CLI-only, and didn't seem to be making much progress, so I didn't check the project for quite some years, until a few months ago.
Idamlaj

RE:

Post by Idamlaj »

I found it a few years ago while surfing osdev.org's project list :), I think the version number was 0.1.3 back then
Artlav

Post by Artlav »

Back in 2003, i was searching some info for Aprom project when i stuck upon ReactOS on something like osring. It was version 0.1.3, not very impressive by that time. A year later i found ReactOS on my backup CD and checked the progress. Very impressive now. Keep going!
Stead

Post by Stead »

i found it in 2000, a neighbour had asked what could i do with an old 386 computer, and i was looking for alternative operating system, since then i thought it wouldn't get anyware as all the other window clones, but i'm happy to say i was wrong! its amazing in the last year its really picked up, i only remembered last year for some reason and i checked the site and i saw the first release with a gui and thought, ooooo, been checking quite often for updates since! hope it gets to load networking drivers (and get wireless support!)
Pete79

nt clone

Post by Pete79 »

years ago, i serch a nt clone in google -> petros and reactos 0.0.X (cmd-bluescreen in bochs)
at the beginn 2004 i check all my old bockmarks....
tonik

Post by tonik »

A couple of years ago I stumbled on ReactOS after half a year of search. I had been looking for an open-source Windows clone, but somehow all I could find was a couple of hippie dream projects without a single line of actual code written. Dunno if it was my being unable to come up with reasonable search terms, or maybe ReactOS had very little publicity back then.

It doesn't get much attention today either. Perhaps ReactOS needs an equivalent of an ESR and a Tux to help promote it :-)
bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

I had followed the development of some free windows compatible OSes, wondering why nothing happend until finaly all sites about OpenWindows, or what it was.
Then i searched around, stumbled over ReactOS (v 0.1.6 or so) and got hooked ;)
I give GvG and the others half a year and i can use ROS on a daily base for gaming and surfing.
Hey Dudes, wheres USB support? I have a 80GB external USB Drive and an external DVD-+R burner that i want to use it with ROS, my internal DVD burner died a heros death... does flying-ROM ring a bell?

So Long, The Werelion!
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

bastetfurry wrote:Hey Dudes, wheres USB support?
USB isn't needed in ReactOS yet, as it should be winnt 4.0 compatible, and this hasn't got support for USB either (only with special drivers). So I think this has to wait till 0.5.0 or so.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

USB are under devloping by Aleasky (FireBall) and with other devloper.
We will see USB support this year in reactos. When it comes are to erly to say
GvG

Post by GvG »

gasmann wrote: USB isn't needed in ReactOS yet, as it should be winnt 4.0 compatible, and this hasn't got support for USB either (only with special drivers). So I think this has to wait till 0.5.0 or so.
This isn't strictly true. We have more features already present in ReactOS which were not present in NT4. USB is definitely going to be supported in the not-too-distant future.
bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

GvG wrote: [...] USB is definitely going to be supported in the not-too-distant future.
Just! Kewl! ^.^

.oO( PSX2USB Joypad converter, USB-MemSticks, USB-Harddisk, USB-DVD+-R, USB............ all in ReactOS) *dream along*
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.
Luemmel

Post by Luemmel »