We urgently need a beta

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: We urgently need a beta

Post by PurpleGurl »

Well, some might argue that WRK is "open" in that you can study the source, but it is certainly not free by any definition, nor does it fit the official definition of open source. Here is the Open Source Definition:
  • Free Redistribution The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.
  • Source Code The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form. Where some form of a product is not distributed with source code, there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost preferably, downloading via the Internet without charge. The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator are not allowed.
  • Derived Works The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software.
  • Integrity of The Author's Source Code The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from modified source code. The license may require derived works to carry a different name or version number from the original software.
  • No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.
  • No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.
  • Distribution of License The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program is redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by those parties.
  • License Must Not Be Specific to a Product The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution.
  • License Must Not Restrict Other Software The license must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium must be open-source software.
  • License Must Be Technology-Neutral No provision of the license may be predicated on any individual technology or style of interface.

FOSS also emphasizes the "free" part, free as in beer, free as in freedom.

The 4 essential freedoms are:
  • The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
  • The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

In short I think that Open Source might mean that the source code is available for viewing.

But that may not give the freedom like F(L)OSS.

Why Open Source misses the point of Free (Libre) Software.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yeah, but even "open" implies a certain amount of freedom. The official definition of open source includes the 8 things I listed above. Reworded:

1. The software is open to being sold or given away, even bundled, so long as you don't require royalty payment or license fees.
2. The source code is open to you as it is included with the software, or otherwise easily obtainable.
3. You are open to create derivative works and modified versions.
4. The original author is open to correct the integrity of their work or distance themselves from derivative works, as long as item #3 is respected.
5. The software and source code must be open to all people and all groups.
6. The software must be open for every profession, trade, field, etc.
7. The option for all users to use the same license must be left open.
8. The option to have the same rights regardless of how the product is distributed must be left open.
9. The option to distribute other software alongside the software with other licenses must be left open.
10. The option to use whatever technology or interface you want with the software must be left open.
SOOAHPAZ

Post by SOOAHPAZ »

What's ReactOS dont's use some part's of Linux Kernal ???
For launch definitive, for me length("size") not important.

Thanks everyone
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

We don't use ANY of the Linux kernel. It is not compatible with our mission. This is an open source version of Windows...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Let's put this one to bed.

We urgently need a beta like we urgently need a cure for cancer or a method now of building safe fusion reactors to resolve all our power needs.

Regardless of how great the need is (and talking about it isn't going to change a thing)
- IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

We should try...more of us should code ROS, and maybe we should abandon this thread too.

It can happen, but saying it can't can destroy morale, IMHO. Instead, we should look for those who can speed things up, or become the ones who can.
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

I test ReactOS everytime i struggled with microsofts OS and Hardware upgrade-madness.
I do have tens of bugs in jira, but currently I don't have the time anymore for testing and my bugs get tagged as "won't fix".
I once really tried f.e. to fix the acpi problem and after 3 days .... gave up! And got back to my other electronic projects where my chances of success are much higher
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Alahndro wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:40 pm I test ReactOS everytime i struggled with microsofts OS and Hardware upgrade-madness.
I do have tens of bugs in jira, but currently I don't have the time anymore for testing and my bugs get tagged as "won't fix".
I once really tried f.e. to fix the acpi problem and after 3 days .... gave up! And got back to my other electronic projects where my chances of success are much higher
reality sets in...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

PurpleGurl wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:30 pm... and maybe we should abandon this thread too.
Yes! The devs can't substitute someone's 'urgent need' for tough-to-write-and-test-code.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I think we've all heard the vulgar saying about wishing in one hand and defecating in the other, then seeing which one fills faster. So we should put more emphasis in doing.

One idea I've had was to go to places where folks are patching Windows components and sharing ReactOS with them. But I only see one problem. If they are patching the components, where did they get their information on what to patch and why? Like I keep saying, we need to guard our integrity so all this effort won't be in vain. So maybe my idea isn't that good, since we don't need tainted developers, and certain places might draw them.

So how/where do we find developers?
  • Colleges are a good place to begin, at least in countries other than the US. That could be a good place to try looking in the US, but so many are caught up in SJW causes, etc., that it will be hard to find them without that baggage. The other caveat is to find places not tainted with WRK. If we get there first, they could get their Windows education from our code rather than Microsoft code that would taint them.
  • Forums where knowledgeable people gripe about Windows might be a good place to look too, but only if they are not Linux forums.
  • Linux devs won't help us unless they also know Windows inside and out. In that case, if they have deep kernel experience in both and have written drivers, they might be able to write Windows drivers, starting with examining Linux drivers to find the OS-independent stuff, and using that to write new drivers.
  • Internship programs such as GSOC, Outreachy, Rails Girls, etc., could be of use. That is at least 4 opportunities for us each year. A problem is that coordinating this and letting potential devs ride shotgun takes a lot of coding time from the developers. All of those programs appear to have overall agendas that may be considered offensive to many here. What we don't need is the stench of the politics coming here. So I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I could care less if any potential coders were green (with or without purple spots), with 2 heads and 3 or more eyes, or even dozens of genders. But if they bring "alien" or xenomorphic empowerment with all sorts of angst and huge chips on their shoulders (or whatever equivalent biological feature) about being from another galaxy, then we could do without that.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

PurpleGurl wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:42 am I think we've all heard the vulgar saying about wishing in one hand and defecating in the other, then seeing which one fills faster.
No. Never EVER heard that saying. It isn't in use in Britain but I may keep it in my hand for the future, yuk.