15%

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

There is more interesting things (networking,...) in ReactOS -project happening right now than the audit process.

So I think the progress bar should be removed or at least moved from the front page. Or even greater, it would be cool to have some kind of progress bar about networking status and 0.3.0 -release.
Don't forget that many developers left the project for the moment. It is not true that there is presently many other things that are happening right now beside the audit... Do a quick check in the reactos cia, and you will see that the few patches posted everyday are at 90% related to the audit.
So let's hope that there will be more development in the audit process, so the developers could continue with other things more important.
So I think that the progress bar is really needed.
(Also Ged put some valuable efforts on it, so we should not scrap it right after he finished it...)
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Sami wrote: So I think the progress bar should be removed or at least moved from the front page. Or even greater, it would be cool to have some kind of progress bar about networking status and 0.3.0 -release.
Moved to a less intrusive position.

A progress bar for development status', like networking would be almost impossible to script though.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

the new one's very good, thanks !!
By the way, 62.3 % 8)
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

It looks a little strange on the main site, I can see 4 "pictures", like screenshots or something, the first and 4th are black the 2nd is a blue gradient and the 3rd is white. Is this supposed to be the bar?
My resolution is 1024*768, I use Firefox.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I use firefox, and it's fine for me.

try deleting your cache, there was a small bug using FF originally which frik85 has fixed now.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

very strange, now it's fine for me, too. And I have checked it 3 times before I wrote this.
Be honest, in the last 2 Minutes you just repaired it, did you? ;-)
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Moved to a less intrusive position.
It's perfect now 8)
Sami

Post by Sami »

ged wrote: Moved to a less intrusive position.
Yes, thats better. I can live with that :)
ged wrote: A progress bar for development status', like networking would be almost impossible to script though.
Yes, I know that :wink: But it would be really cool if it could be possible, wouldnt it ? 8) :wink:
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

ThePhysicist wrote:very strange, now it's fine for me, too. And I have checked it 3 times before I wrote this.
Be honest, in the last 2 Minutes you just repaired it, did you? ;-)
Firefox seems to have a "bug", i added a additional css entry that fixed it. I fixed it two minutes after I published the altered auditing bar.

The problem is that firefox use a cached version of the css file until you restart the browser. So if you yust reload the page you won't see a change. You have to restart firefox.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Sami wrote:
ged wrote: Moved to a less intrusive position.
Yes, thats better. I can live with that :)
ged wrote: A progress bar for development status', like networking would be almost impossible to script though.
Yes, I know that :wink: But it would be really cool if it could be possible, wouldnt it ? 8) :wink:
such thing should be possible, if manually updated by (a) dev(s)
-graey-
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

geertvdijk wrote: such thing should be possible, if manually updated by (a) dev(s)
But how do you want to measure the progress of something you are writing. OK, you can say, I have implemented 4 of 10 functions that are necessary, but one function may be done in 20 minutes another takes maybe 10 hours and another just doesn't want to work as you like. After everything is in place, you see that you have done a mistake and have to change something here and there and then you find some bugs... How do you want to know how much time a part of a function will take, before you have worked on it, how much time is used for bug testing (30% or 60%?).
I think it is defenetely not possible to make a senseful progressbar for individual tasks.
But it would be great, if all the devs would put a list on a page that says what they want to do, what they think how long it might take approx. and how far they are with this task (just started/some code present/quite a lot code ready/almost finishes/bug testing)
So everyone can see what's going on and can make his own picture of it. Some devs have a todo list on their user page, but it would be nice to hae one (wiki) pahe where the devs can list what they are aworking at and what is ready and what is still to do. Maybe divided into "for the next release" (0.3) and "general".
And it would be nice to have more dev blogs. Just a few sentences from time to time apart from the svn commits to see what's going on.
Reading all the svn commits is pretty annoing (I know what I'm talking about, I do it ;-)) Most people would prefer one or two sentences like "I have spent some time auditing this and that and cleaned some code in abc, as it was not perfect" or "I have begun to implement the needed functions for xyz, this might take some more weeks but it might solve some bugs" or "I have finished the rewrite of xyz, now bug n should be soved and we can start to begin work at qrs."
I think there's a big gap between the svn commits (who wants to read all this stuff) and the real news (they come only every several weeks, whats going on with the newsletter?)
K, now I have written a lot of stuff, enuff! ;-)
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

you are right... there should be a checklist for that, and i expect there is (right?)... indeed when thinking about it dividing it in percents is to hard...
-graey-