ReactOS: the true Windows OS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quim

ReactOS: the true Windows OS?

Post by Quim »

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.vanwens ... hateMS.pdf

Is ReactOS the true Windows-like OS that will have all Windows strenghts and none of its bad designs and vulnerabilities?

http://toastytech.com/evil/index.html
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: ReactOS: the true Windows OS?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

A 73 page article? LOL, obviously this person has way too much free time. Let's see what MS has done for the world:

- Created ten of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands?) of jobs in various different careers all over the world.
- Is one of the top 5 contributors of Linux and created lots of development time and money.
- Created a sub-system in Windows to help make Linux more compatible with Windows.
- Donated Millions to charities, open-source communities, and many others.

Let's see what this F.W. van Wensveen has done:

- A search shows no results... LOL.

So yes, let us all listen to this stranger that has no reputation for nothing and has way too much free time to write a 73 page article on why they hate MS.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I am going to defend him. Reading up to page eight so far and it is all factually correct and if you aren't a Microsoft fanboy his tone will not jar with your sensibilities. His slant that Microsoft just 'borrowed' others ideas, kludged something together and then marketed it well is quite correct. He expresses disdain for this approach as his own personal background does not value marketing and instead clearly values quality technology. He sounds like a technical professional rather than a home user or computer salesman. If you read the document with this in mind it is a good read. However, if you wrote the same document from a marketing standpoint then you'd be praising Microsoft right up to the release of Windows Metro on Win 8, from then on you'd be struggling...

"A search shows no results" - rubbish. It depends upon what you enter into a search engine, which engine &c. That is a silly comment that is beneath you Rocknrollkid. Number 2 in the results for the term that I typed in. Don't try to defeat an argument with an equally bad one of your own creation.

Finally, a 73 page article? There is nothing wrong with someone being able to articulate their beliefs and having the intelligence to place them on paper. For some reason intelligence, a decent vocabulary and the ability to put one's own thoughts to paper are considered negatives in this age of one-line soundbites and unthought-out opinions. He expresses himself well and does it articulately. No need for childish 'LOL's.

I'll read the rest of it and I suggest others might benefit from doing so too. So far it has been a good read though slightly negative, it isn't any more so than perhaps than that which any of us might have written when asked to describe Microsoft's more nefarious practices over the years. It hasn't taught me anything I didn't know already (perhaps one new fact re: the 150 million paid to DEC) but it was a good read so far.

Up to page eight I liked it.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

PS. Now reading up to page 15 and I suspect that the author comes from a similar background to me, I am a systems administrator for near-fault tolerant systems such as DEC Open VMS on 32bit Vax or 64bit Alpha systems and he was probably something similar.

When you have been brought up with 'proper' systems, when you look at the way MS implemented much of Windows, it does seem like a "Mickey-mouse" approach to almost everything. There have been grown-up os/networks/applications that have existed for years/decades before MS' offerings and so it does seem slightly unbelievable that MS would ignore the right way of doing things almost across the whole board (with exceptions).

The author like me, believes that good marketing is no replacement for good technology. HE believes it passionately and from his point of view the negativity is utterly undisputable. What you are perceiving as his negativity is his frustration but I completely understand it and over the years I have felt it too!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

karlexceed probably will not notice here nothing hateful, right?

I think persons like that whose delirium has been quoted by the OP, are mentally ill. so, mocking them is bad. they were given a subject for their obsession - to hate MS. and now we have 20+ years of contemplating psychopaths "faighting" MS on the web. I guess it's IBM who started this. :D And who won?
When you have been brought up with 'proper' systems, when you look at the way MS implemented much of Windows, it does seem like a "Mickey-mouse" approach to almost everything.
to claim that, you must know things "MS implemented". I am 100% you know 0. So, repeating freaks' ranting you look like them.

Funny, VMS and NT were architected by the same person. DEC pissed off Cutler, closing his project and he went to MS and made it there. And you? what you know about all those internals to claim how they were implemented? Apart from bragging that you saw VAX/Alpha computers and probably hit keyoboard on them. Give a thorough comparison of VMS vs NT internal mechanisms especially make an emphasis on what exactly in NT were "implemented as Mickey Mouse". Otherwise you are just a parrot-idiot with 100+ annoyance level and 0 importance.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

anthracen wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:02 pm to claim that, you must know things "MS implemented". I am 100% you know 0. So, repeating freaks' ranting you look like them. Apart from bragging that you saw VAX/Alpha computers and probably hit keyoboard on them. Give a thorough comparison of VMS vs NT internal mechanisms especially make an emphasis on what exactly in NT were "implemented as Mickey Mouse". Otherwise you are just a parrot-idiot with 100+ annoyance level and 0 importance.
You can convince yourself of anything you like. If you can't see reality from the drivel you have just written then no amount of explaining anything will ever give you the experience you need to change your mind. The internet is there to inform the uninformed - go and use it, waste your own time and find out why yourself...

Finally, do you know how much more time I have put aside to banter with someone like you? (someone who has just lowered the conversation to its lowest point) - That's it - precisely none.
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

blablablabla.
So, nope, - as expected - you cannot give not only the thorough comparison - that you should be able to give when making such statements as you did - you basically cannot say anything meaningful. what a surprise. ignoring the types like you is one of the most useful advices for anyone seeking here non-BS content.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Best thing to do with those trolling you, is to ban them (done) and never read their posts. In general life is much more enjoyable when you simply ignore fools and their ramblings. I am now basking in the clear light of not having to read your posts.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ENOUGH!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...