Nightly build ISOs?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

Thx EmuandCo, I linke your disk-images. :-)

Would be nice, if you - or anybody other - could also create a distribution-maker or so.

What I mean is something, I use at home. But the image, which I have at home is 50MB big - too big to upload it, on webspace-places where I have access to.

What I mean with "Distribution maker" is an disc-image which I have called "distmaker.img".
It is not a startdrive. But it is formated as a FAT-partition.
So a

Code: Select all

qemu -hda c.img -hdc distmaker.img
where on c.img is ReactOS installed, let ReactOS to connect to the distmaker.img file.
On the file are unpacked files of WinTetris.exe, the windows version of xbill, Abiword and other programs which can run on ReactOS with created *.lnk files.
And then there is a file called "install.bat" in the top-directory of the distmaker.img.
The install.bat file copies all programs to the ReactOS-"drive" c.img.
And copies the *.lnk files to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.REACTOS\Desktop" and in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.REACTOS\Start Menu\Games" and so on.

So that after typing "install" and restarting ReactOS by restarting QEmu, there existing a ReactOS where a lot of programs are installed, which can be running on ReactOS.

As I have said, I have such a distmaker.img at home, but not enough disk-space to publish it. An additional problem is, that I have at home no internet-access and so, I do everything from Internetcafés.

But I think it would be nice, if anybody with internet-access at home and enough web-space would create such a file and publish it.
For me such a distmaker.img helps to install on every new ReactOS-image all programs new in fast time.

And to bring big files on distmaker.img, there helps WinImage, which was mentioned at
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1667

Meklort

Post by Meklort »

If you want I can give you my php script to make the nightly builds as soon as I rebuild it(I made it for linux but im sure you can adapt it). When I finish the new one I'll have my server generate builds automaticaly again.

Jaix
Moderator Team

VMWare images instead of QEMU

Post by Jaix »

I think it's a lot better to use a VMWare player image instead of QEMU because of the speed simplicity and network function. Thus if someone are going to make an effort, use VMWare.

512dev

Post by 512dev »

How does one download and build the latest SVN revision into an ISO on a UNIX-based system? (OpenBSD) ?

Meklort

Post by Meklort »

512dev wrote:How does one download and build the latest SVN revision into an ISO on a UNIX-based system? (OpenBSD) ?

Im running gentoo linux, but it should be very similar
you need to have a few packages installed inorder to compile reactos, below are teh packages and what version I have
  • make (3.80)
    subversion (1.2.3-r2)
    xmingw-binutils (2.15.94.20050118.1)
    xmingw-gcc (3.4.2)
    xmingw-runtime (3.5)
    xmingw-w32api (3.1)
    *optional ccache (2.3)
if you would like to use ccache, make a link to the compiler, my compiler is installed in /opt/xmingw/bin and ccache is in /usr/lib/ccache/ and /usr/bin/ccache

cd /usr/lib/ccache/bin/
ln -s /usr/bin/ccache i386-mingw32msvc-gcc
ln -s /usr/bin/ccache i386-mingw32msvc-g++
ln -s /usr/bin/ccache i386-mingw32msvc-cpp
ln -s /usr/bin/ccache i386-mingw32msvc-c++
Once you have those files installed, fetch the code repository

svn co svn.reactos.ru/reactos/trunk/reactos reactos
now, edit config.template.rbuild and save it as config.rbuild.

next make it, but dont forget to tell it a few things

export PATH=/opt/xmingw/bin:$PATH
export PATH=/usr/lib/ccache/bin:$PATH
export ROS_PREFIX=i386-mingw32msvc
cd reactos
make 
if you want an install cd,

make bootcd
or a live cd

make livecd
now that you have the svn repository, all you need to do is

svn up
make clean
before the commands above

theuserbl

Re: VMWare images instead of QEMU

Post by theuserbl »

Jaix wrote:I think it's a lot better to use a VMWare player image instead of QEMU because of the speed simplicity and network function. Thus if someone are going to make an effort, use VMWare.
I prefer QEmu.
That has two reasons:
1. The VMWare-Player can not make changes on the image. If you play for example in ReactOS WineMines, then after any new start of ReactOS, the HighScore is empty. All changes what you do are after closing VMWare-Player lost.
2. The Trial-Version of VMWare 5.5 works only 30 days.

So, QEmu is not only the best Virtual Machine, of all OpenSource-VMs, it is also the best Virtual Machine of all free of charge VMs, I think.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: VMWare images instead of QEMU

Post by Jaix »

theuserbl wrote:
Jaix wrote:I think it's a lot better to use a VMWare player image instead of QEMU because of the speed simplicity and network function. Thus if someone are going to make an effort, use VMWare.
I prefer QEmu.
That has two reasons:
1. The VMWare-Player can not make changes on the image. If you play for example in ReactOS WineMines, then after any new start of ReactOS, the HighScore is empty. All changes what you do are after closing VMWare-Player lost.
No, you can even install ReactOS on an empty image in VMWare player, it's only if you have configured it to work in that manner it works like that, that is not the default way.
theuserbl wrote:2. The Trial-Version of VMWare 5.5 works only 30 days.

So, QEmu is not only the best Virtual Machine, of all OpenSource-VMs, it is also the best Virtual Machine of all free of charge VMs, I think.
No, I do not agree, the speed is insufficient and the network tap is a hazzle (I have never got it to work just in user mode where no WAN ip is specific to the VM just a Non-addressable one which makes server apps impossible) so in my opinion vmware player is not only faster, it is totally superior and easier to understand.

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

If you are that picky about using a free VM software, just use the VMware Server... It is free and it works ontop of an existing OS, just like the Workstation version... I personally use VMware Player on all the machines except my main one, which now I use VMware server instead of VMware Workstation...

Jaix
Moderator Team

Picky?

Post by Jaix »

Pharaoh_Atem wrote:If you are that picky about using a free VM software, just use the VMware Server... It is free and it works ontop of an existing OS, just like the Workstation version... I personally use VMware Player on all the machines except my main one, which now I use VMware server instead of VMware Workstation...
Picky? Oh no, I am thinking about how to make it simple for beginners. I build my own ISO:s and install on real hardware or VMWare Workstation. I also regularly run ROS on QEmu to be able to support others. I think it is important for ROS to be easy and welcoming for new users.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

EmuandCo wrote:No problem. This is my way to help the project. I can't help in coding, so I'll help otherwise.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/reimerdaniel/R ... -r21228.7z
http://mitglied.lycos.de/reimerdaniel/R ... xplorer.7z

Have fun
I really hope that you can build & release it daily :wink:

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I'll make a new one, when I come back from school today. Stay tuned :wink:

EDIT1: UPLOADING

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK, for everyone who wants to be up to date, new ISO is up.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/reimerdaniel/ReactOS.7z

@Meklort: Can you send me your scripts? I'll have a look at them. I use Windows XP, but perhaps I can use them with some modifications.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

EmuandCo wrote:OK, for everyone who wants to be up to date, new ISO is up.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/reimerdaniel/ReactOS.7z

@Meklort: Can you send me your scripts? I'll have a look at them. I use Windows XP, but perhaps I can use them with some modifications.
It is easier if you put a html-file on your site which points to all your builds, then I can point to your site from the nightly builds thread instead of making new posts every time you make a build.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Good Idea. I'll do so. 8)

EDIT:
Is that what you wanted to have? 8)
http://mitglied.lycos.de/reimerdaniel/ros.html

I won't update daily, because my Upstream is just 5 kB/s. But I'll try to update more often, till the official builds will be available again

Jaix
Moderator Team

Nightly builds available

Post by Jaix »

Yes, that's what I'm talking about, your site is now mentioned here:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344