Internet Conection on Virtual PC

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SoupBowl

Internet Conection on Virtual PC

Post by SoupBowl »

I’m planning to build a computer and try out React os on it but its going to have some unusual hardware arrangements.
I have yet to decide on the specific hardware and i might discus this later however IM testing react OS on virtualization software for now.
Thought I might have a try on Microsoft Virtual Toaster 2007 because it has a reputation for being stubborn toward React OS,
My rationale is I would experience similar problems to what I will experience on obscure hardware without making it difficult for one to recreate similar conditions to mine.
Also it emulated IDE rather than SATA which has been an issue in some versions of React OS installation.
so a good balance of convenience and inconvenience and its a well known product so VPC2007 it is.

i digress to my actual question

So I have the settings are Shared Networking (NAT) and other versions of windows get online fine with this.
Drivers installed as described here (Links included in thread)
https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13610

I couldn’t get the internet to work, it does however seem to accept the drivers and appears to be functioning normally,
perhaps the settings are wrong is there an adjustment that could be made to ensure it collects the right info?

I came to this conclusion as I got different numbers when comparing the Host and guest IP address and gateway, nonetheless chaining the numbers to match the host PC does not resolve the issue.
[ external image ]
Screenshot
https://i.imgsafe.org/a9/a9c8130272.gif
the identical parts of the numbers are covered

What else could I try.

binarymaster

Re: Internet Conection on Virtual PC

Post by binarymaster »

Keep track on this issue: CORE-14028

Workaround - add 8.8.8.8 (or any other public DNS) as a primary DNS server.

SoupBowl

Post by SoupBowl »

Seems to work but the hard disk got corrupted a few times when copying files over (using windows 2000 virtual machine)and I have had to reinstall React OS several times over.
using CD drive and download instead now
Sound mixer/audio is absent though no complaint from the device manager, haven’t attempted to resolve yet this due to aforementioned corruption issue.

will this be a matter of just installing the drivers or will it be a greater challenge?
binarymaster wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:22 pm
Keep track on this issue: CORE-14028
Workaround - add 8.8.8.8 (or any other public DNS) as a primary DNS server.
The workaround nonetheless resolves this issue and I have since tried the new 2018 version of K-Meleon and FireFox 48 as this was the version promoted in the applications manager.

I have tried updating it but this only resulted in Firefox ceasing to launch, Proceeding with K-Meleon
HTML5test.com results:
359 out of 555
K-Meleon 74.0 on Windows Server 2003

A notable absence would be video codec’s which are unsupported under systems older than windows 7,
But do they work on React OS despite the browser disabling them?(suspecting it to be Win2003)

Vimeo, Newgrounds(Non Flash) and certain YouTube videos don’t function.
Ones that do function (And work in windows XP) lag though this is to be expected under the low specs im testing with.

Which browser would support these new formats, do I need to adjust the settings as to convince the browser it is running on windows 7 or later or is this yet to be implemented on React OS?

Screenshot
https://imgsafe.org/image/ba0de608c2
[ external image ]

SoupBowl

Post by SoupBowl »

Played with React os a little more and just adding some notes about what i saw.
i did the Run in "compatibility mode" for windows 7 and in some cases the browser got a worse HTML5 Score or wouldn't load.
i tried to "add hardware" this being the sound card though i didnt quite get that far
https://imgsafe.org/image/bd8978a276
[ external image ]
The device is not listed on the device manager so when i did try to add the device i did not specify what the device is.

is this a bug or simply the result of react OS not detecting any hardware not already installed.