Reiser4 FS in React0S

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rosh
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 12:44 am

Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by Rosh »

When finishing BtrFS full support in ReactOS, it could be useful to also have Reiser4 filesystem support in ReactOS.
It seems that it has more features and is more advanced than BtrFS.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... =2:0reiser
https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Why_Reiser4

https://reactos.org/wiki/File_Systems/ReiserFS
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-14503

ROCKNROLLKID
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 am
Contact:

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

As to what is more advanced, that would go to Winbtrfs. Winbtrfs stores 2 metadata of each file, in case of corruption, and grabs the one that is the best (this is useful for the current state of ReactOS and how much data corrupts currently on ReactOS). It also has check summing with the option to disable. Winbtrfs also has data deduplication and is compatible with tools that work on ReFS (MS new file system). It seems the current Reiser Windows driver is only half completed.

The driver you are referring to has been abandoned for a long time where Winbtrfs is still in active development, so I see no reason as to why the ReactOS developers would want to bother with Reiser support when it's not even being developed.

Please note that I am referring to Winbtrfs vs Reiser for Windows drivers only and not the Linux drivers, as those are useless to us anyways.

middings
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by middings »

"Look before you leap."--proverb

Why ROS will not work on NTFS/ZFS/Reiser4/whatever right now

All those comments are yours Rosh, except thread necromancy. Attempt no new comments there.

cb88
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by cb88 »

Rosh wrote:When finishing BtrFS full support in ReactOS, it could be useful to also have Reiser4 filesystem support in ReactOS.
It seems that it has more features and is more advanced than BtrFS.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... =2:0reiser
https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Why_Reiser4

https://reactos.org/wiki/File_Systems/ReiserFS
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-14503
If that were to happen ReactOS would be the only non Linux OS to support it out of the box even then only a few Distros support it and probably not version 4 at that... ReiserFS is tainted by the name of its developer unfortunately it's pretty much doomed on Linux. Seems pointless to support an FS that Linux maintainers refuse to upstream....

Another interesting one is bcachefs... porting that to ReactOS would actually put it pretty far ahead of windows you could do things like have a spinning disk + cache drive etc... , though I guess BtrFS is ahead of windows in other ways though it isn't as performant as EXT2/3/4 or probably even NTFS.

anthracen
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by anthracen »

cb88 wrote: If that were to happen ReactOS would be the only non Linux OS to support it out of the box even then only a few Distros support it and probably not version 4 at that... ReiserFS is tainted by the name of its developer unfortunately it's pretty much doomed on Linux. Seems pointless to support an FS that Linux maintainers refuse to upstream....
linux maintainers and their upstream tastes should impact ReactOS choices as much as zero. "tainted" well, he's a killer. but stallman behaves like a psycho, so what? it's personalities. with thier mental problems; FS kind of didn't kill anyone, why to not use it if it is worth? And here is the root. There is always a "religious" point. linux camp will never use foreign FSs. bsd camp and Windows camp too. ReactOS is the Windows camp by definition. all these unixy FSs are needless trash for this camp. not to mention, there is literally noone willng to port such FSs.
ReactOS has chosen to be a Windows clone and this means always MS FSs will be a priority for this project. anything else is oprtional and only when some enthusiast wants and ready to implement it so badly, that nothing can stop him/her/other from the selfless labor.
Another interesting one is bcachefs... porting that to ReactOS would actually put it pretty far ahead of windows you could do things like have a spinning disk + cache drive etc...
yeah. so "far ahead" that nobody cares about.
though I guess BtrFS is ahead of windows in other ways though it isn't as performant as EXT2/3/4 or probably even NTFS.
what a gewgaw, right? performance, who needs it? so why it is "far ahead"? Because Moronics site told that? Or because its developers told it uses B-trees and just is "kewl"? :lol: <_< You know, a dragonflybsd dude devised even kewler faraheader teh best in teh world FS - HAMMER. And look what a name, for sure it's something blasting! So, maybe will be babbling on ReactOS needs it?

Seriously, if it all is so "far ahead" (of course it's not), why there are so many evangelists advertizing this rubbish over here, and noone of them is ready to get their hands dirty implementing all these "god-like" things in ReactOS?

PS. By the way Apple recently thought out their own new Blondie FS, :lol: I wonder how many time will pass untill its iEvangelists appear chatting here on how "far ahead of everything" it is and how ReactOS needs it. :D

ThFabba
Developer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by ThFabba »

Please don't compare people to murderers or make fun of mental illness.
anthracen wrote: ReactOS has chosen to be a Windows clone and this means always MS FSs will be a priority for this project. anything else is oprtional and only when some enthusiast wants and ready to implement it so badly, that nothing can stop him/her/other from the selfless labor.
Yes. This.
ReactOS is about implementing a Windows-compatible OS, not about arbitrary drivers or applications. We're all in favor of open source Windows drivers and applications, and we're generally happy to support them any way we can. But the OS itself really is enough work (warning: enormous understatement), we don't need to go looking to expand our scope.

There is an existing Windows driver for Btrfs, so we use it -- (a) because we can, and (b) because testing it is important to improve the kernel -- see https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 15#p130860
There is even an existing driver for Reiser(3)FS... and we do have it in the tree.
But unless somebody develops a Windows driver for Reiser4, we won't support it

As for the choice of making Btrfs the next target for full support, it's relatively arbitrary. We need a documented method for how to do this stuff, and we need to iron out bugs in setup and kernel that prevent us from doing it. Whether that's done with ext2, Btrfs or ReiserFS doesn't really matter... the others will follow. And if someone does ever make a Reiser4 driver, we'll have the plan for how to integrate it.

User avatar
Fraizeraust
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by Fraizeraust »

The good old man says - easier said than done.

We all want ReactOS to succeed on every side, let it be applications, file systems, drivers, and so forth. But judging the current development base and its resources our expectations are only dreams, period.

When there is a developer with enough knowledge regarding ReiserFS then he'll develop a driver and necessary components for ReactOS in order to boot with this FS.

PurpleGurl
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am
Location: USA

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by PurpleGurl »

ThFabba wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm
Please don't compare people to murderers or make fun of mental illness.
Sadly, Hans Thomas Reiser, the Reiser FS developer, was convicted of killing his wife. However, thank you for your comment, since I see his crime as irrelevant here. Programmers are human like everyone else, and his code should speak for itself.

As for whether ROS will have Reiser as a default is yet to be seen.

ThFabba
Developer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by ThFabba »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:32 pm
ThFabba wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm
Please don't compare people to murderers or make fun of mental illness.
Sadly, Hans Thomas Reiser, the Reiser FS developer, was convicted of killing his wife.
I am aware of that. I was complaining about "he's a killer. but stallman [...]", which relativizes the crime and seems to put RMS on the same level as Reiser.

User avatar
EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by EmuandCo »

That whole thread is not very useful and becomes less useful with every strange assumption some ppl tend to do here.

<rant> ReiserFS will NOT be main FS of ROS nor was that ever planned to be at all. As already stated about 3*10^8 times in here it is a TEST CASE for ReactOS IFS and NTOSKRNL implementation not less and not more. NOONE cares if he killed a cat or his wife or the whole mankind. Noone cares about Stallman, his beard or any cootie living in it, too btw </rant>
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

User avatar
dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1561
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by dizt3mp3r »

EmuandCo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:38 pm
NOONE cares if he killed ...the whole (of) mankind.
I do, especially if he did that. I wouldn't use his FS even for testing - if he did that specifically.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

erkinalp
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by erkinalp »

ReactOS has chosen to be a Windows clone
It is a almost-fully-compatible open-source Windows replacement, not a Windows-clone.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

anthracen
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by anthracen »

erkinalp wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:24 pm
ReactOS has chosen to be a Windows clone
It is a almost-fully-compatible open-source Windows replacement, not a Windows-clone.
no, you are wrong. it's a clone, since it reproduces (reimplements) ideas/concepts/design/architecture/APIs/conventions/standards/formats/other of the OS. It's the fact. "replacement" will become a fact, when it replaces all the installations of Windows. Feel the difference. And also, do some estimation on the feasibility of that. I won't even touch the question - is it really needed, to try to "replace" something. honestly, the idea of "replacement" is a total trash, interesting to only frustrated people that have set their minds to the "fight MS" stupid vibe. it's an irrelevant and unnecessary idea. I believe, that most if not all the real ReactOS developers do their participation not because they want to "replace" something, but because they like to do what they do.
"Competing" sounds saner. But it's not feasible yet. Among the reasons why (apart from the most obvious one, that competing with a giant requires gigantic efforts and force) because there are a lot more people willing to spend their free time on arguing on trashy things like the above, than those who can and want to write some code. again.

karlexceed
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by karlexceed »

replacement
noun

the action or process of replacing someone or something.
"the replacement of religion by poetry"
synonyms: renewal, replacing
"the wiring was in need of replacement"

a person or thing that takes the place of another.
synonyms: successor
clone
noun

an organism or cell, or group of organisms or cells, produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical.
a person or thing regarded as identical to another.
"successful women don't want to be male clones"

a computer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model.
"an IBM PC clone"
This argument might just be a pedant's dream. I think they're pretty synonymous, but hey, that's just me.

Either way, this thread has deviated drastically from the original point.

PurpleGurl
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am
Location: USA

Re: Reiser4 FS in React0S

Post by PurpleGurl »

The preferred term around here seems to be "reimplementation." The term "clone" tends to carry some legal baggage.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 2 guests