RPlayer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

I think this idea...

is great!
24%
is nice...
17%
isn't so good...
28%
sucks!
31%

Total votes: 29

geertvdijk

RPlayer

Post by geertvdijk »

I think it is also necassery to make some sort of media player, supporting WMP playlists and stuff, like WMP itself. I know this has been around earlier, but I think it would be better to start an entirely new project, connected to ReactOS only by name and goal, but not to let the ReactOS team code anything instead of ROS. So new devs and people. So people who can code in C/C++ (thats what ROS supports best, isnt it?), please leave your name here. I can do a bit of both, and I'm good enough at skinning to make some default skins good enough to compete with WMP 10/11 (I hope)...
So what we've got to do then is:
-write a new media engine (quite hard I guess)
-write a skinnable frontend (easier)
-create some skins (also easy enough)

Anyone who can code these languages (C/C++), please leave a message, skinners won't have to leave their names, if you create a skin, you can submit it to the site of RPlayer, if it becomes for real ofcourse... And our main concern is just not to use too much Windows resources, and it should be very very compatible with WMP, so that programs can call RPlayer in ROS just like WMP like in Windows... And if it runs in Windows, it'll run in ROS, won't it?

EDIT: RPlayer isn't how I like it to be known, it's just a name I thought up quickly to be able to write this text. A good name will come as soon as enough people are in to be sure this project is going to be something.
-graey-
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

What's really needed for the Win32 comminuty as a whole, is for someone to port Amarok...
exspastic

Post by exspastic »

there's a bunch of media players out there that can easily do these things already. is there really a need to create another one from scratch just for ROS? sure there's gotta be something out there already that fits the bill and will work on ROS. -i.e. under GPL and all. -at the most an app may have to be ported. -just my 2 cents.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

ged wrote:What's really needed for the Win32 comminuty as a whole, is for someone to port Amarok...
What's amarok :?:
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://amarok.kde.org/

Kde media player might come are part of the huge porting of alot of applications that part of Kde due when kde4 is released.
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

What would be even better would be if develpment of Delphamp would be continued. It's got Winamp's sleek (at least in my opinion) interface, it's GPL'ed, has a small memory footprint and even supports Winamp's skins (v2 only that I know of, but does anyone actually use those clunky v3 skins?). Pretty much all that's left is to squash a few bugs and possibly support Winamp plugins. Maybe ReactOS Foundation could hijack the project and make it their "official" music player :)
BangerDude

not needed.

Post by BangerDude »

http://www.videolan.org/

the best i have tested.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

i think it is important because when programming for windows, you can call the windows media player control... there are quite some applications using it (i think...) so or the wmp thing should be cloned, or it should be redirected, to make compatibility levels higher. As I said before, this would be a new project ofcourse... I think if you want to clone Windows, clone it entirely... WMP is also part of Windows...
-graey-
bshellenberg

Post by bshellenberg »

geertvdijk wrote:i think it is important because when programming for windows, you can call the windows media player control... there are quite some applications using it (i think...) so or the wmp thing should be cloned, or it should be redirected, to make compatibility levels higher. As I said before, this would be a new project ofcourse... I think if you want to clone Windows, clone it entirely... WMP is also part of Windows...
geertvdijk, you actually hit the nail right on the head. Most of these other video players for windows that many people speak of simply use the wmp activex control.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

thnx for the help :) :P...
and the nice thing is, that we (if there's going to be a 'we' in this project) do not have to wait untill ROS is done, we'll just write it in Windows, and it should work... And also to test compatibility with WMP we could use the frontend weve created then, and change the RPLAYER control with the WMP control, and if it works, its compatible, else not... now i'm no good c/c++ programmer, as I said before, but I could write a (Vb) frontend and test things out...
-graey-
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

You need direct Show filter's support. No question about that.
exspastic

Post by exspastic »

like i said before- if you're going to do something like this- great.. it can only help. but it would be wiser to find a GPL project that does a fairly close job at fitting your needs and modifying the code from there to make it work on ROS & to fit ROS's needs. there are ALOT of really good GPL programs out there that can play music/movies/etc -so don't waste your time trying to reinvent the wheel- find one that works and start from there. get a leg up on the situation.
Mitch 74

Media Player Classic + ffdshow

Post by Mitch 74 »

Media Player Classic: This player is written by Gabest (all-purpose media developer, working on avisynth and virtualdub amongst other things). It supports DirectShow, Direct3D7/9, overlay or GDI outputs. It includes some built-in decoders. It can make use of Quicktime and RealMedia codecs.

ffdshow: is a Windows port of ffmpeg and libmpeg2, and it can do sound decoding through several engines too.

Both are GPL.

Making those work would cover a huge range of media types.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

When we support DirectX, we will support DirectShow. When we support DirectShow, we will be able to run the myriad of free dshow-based media players out there.
Last edited by mf on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
It compiles, let's ship it!
Switchboy

Post by Switchboy »

Amarok is way too bulky interface wise. If there realy was to be some sort of media player why not use XMMS? An open source winamp clone. http://www.xmms.org/