Please add the modified Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

Re: Please add the modified Lautus-theme of GreenteaOS

Post by Adcock »

So you guys can't take any action against Greentea guys ?

Why don't you guys add an exception that proper credit have to be given to the real creators ?
Open Your Windows To Freedom
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

OK, so simply put, they just need to give credit and if they use ReactOS name in publicity they 'ought' to ask.
They also have to rename their project but there 'might' be an argument if they used a close name like ReactJS.

The logo is sacrosanct but sometimes you can use a logo that is very close indeed to that of ReactOS...

Some projects can use both (if they aren't an o/s)?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

I don't want to go OT here but looking at the GreenTea OS project, the guy by the name Nicolo Altamura is responsible for such development yet he was a user here. I've heard rumors that he left ReactOS community as he wasn't seen so well by people but I'm not sure. What's the madness all about?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

LOLOLOL, this guy?? Oh come on... nicoalta01 in here and a few other nicks too, just search for his name and his "useful" stuff he did. One more reason to not add it
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Nico!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Well...
...at least GreenteaOS will have a reversi game :lol:
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Konata wrote: [...]
And yes, the issue is they're not giving ReactOS any credit whatsoever, even giving the vague statement "written from scratch", which is implying that they, the Greentea OS Team, wrote it. That's what wrong. It wouldn't kill them to put "Powered by ReactOS" in the description on the website and link to ReactOS. But they don't.
It's not that there's a problem with them calling it their own name, actually that's a requirement as you can't use ReactOS' trademarks without permission from the team. That doesn't mean they can't mention the project, just don't name anything after it or use the project's logos (I have to explicitly mention that because I always see that being questioned around here because a lot of you guys seem to know jack-all about law, apparently).
[...]
What ?
We can not use the logo freely(libre) ?
Isn't the logo under GPL ?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Never heard of a logo under GPL. CC maybe, but GPL??!
And: Uuuuuuh, no! It's registered trademark of the ReactOS Foundation.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Tell that to the Discord Server guys.
I thought it was a trademark.
But someone from there said that s/he found that the logo is under GPL.
I don't think that s/he was sure.
But because I was not sure, I could not confirm.
So I came here to ask.
Konta was just an excuse.
Ha..ha..

BTW game assets can't be released under GPL ?
Edit: I meant konata, not konta. :)
Last edited by Adcock on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

[ external image ]

For example - at least they have dropped the JS now.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

dizt3mp3r : I did not quite understand your latest post.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

An example of the use of a very similar logo and name that appears to have been lifted directly from ReactOS - a pet peeve of mine, - see my previous post re: logos/name

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16788#p128687
dizt3mp3r wrote: Bear in mind that others can (and do) use the ReactOS logo and package projects so that they seem to be from the same stable (ReactJS) and no-one on the team gets upset,
Konata

Post by Konata »

Adcock wrote: What ?
We can not use the logo freely(libre) ?
Isn't the logo under GPL ?
The ReactOS Foundation is (quite understandably) very protective of it's intellectual property. Yes, the source is free and you can do whatever you want with it under the restrictions of the GPL, but the branding of ReactOS and it's iconography (The ReactOS Atom) are copywritten works and you cannot do anything with it that does not fall under Fair Use (look up Fair Use (or simply click here), because you don't seem to know what it is).
Anything that isn't software isn't covered under the GPL, you might be thinking of the GNU Free Documentation License (GNU FDL), but the ReactOS Atom is not under that, it's a properly copywritten work and properly belongs solely to the ReactOS Foundation.
It's really not hard to understand Fair Use. Just don't say you made it and don't actively attempt to redistribute the work and you're good. It's pretty common sense.
dizt3mp3r wrote:An example of the use of a very similar logo and name that appears to have been lifted directly from ReactOS - a pet peeve of mine, - see my previous post re: logos/name

I don't get people getting mad at ReactJS. You realize The ReactOS Foundation didn't come up with the iconic representation of the orbits of an atom or the fact that atomic reactions are a thing, right? It's a coincidence, stop being mad about it.
middings

Post by middings »

Konata wrote:I don't get people getting mad at ReactJS. You realize The ReactOS Foundation didn't come up with the iconic representation of the orbits of an atom or the fact that atomic reactions are a thing, right? It's a coincidence, stop being mad about it.
The foundation did "come up with" using the word 'react' and a "representation of the orbits of an atom" to identify software products. In my un-lawyerly opinion, Facebook's use of the names 'ReactJS' and 'React' for their own software products arguably encroaches on the foundation's marks enough to cause confusion among consumers.

Trade marks that are not defended are soon lost. Two years ago when ReactJS went public a polite letter from the foundation to Facebook Inc. (plus a press release about the letter protesting Facebook Inc.'s theft of the foundation's trade marks sent to some major FOSS blogs and technical web publications) might have been enough to persuade the Facebook people to re-brand their products under different names. Now? Who knows? But better late than never.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

middings wrote:
Konata wrote:I don't get people getting mad at ReactJS. You realize The ReactOS Foundation didn't come up with the iconic representation of the orbits of an atom or the fact that atomic reactions are a thing, right? It's a coincidence, stop being mad about it.
The foundation did "come up with" using the word 'react' and a "representation of the orbits of an atom" to identify software products. In my un-lawyerly opinion, Facebook's use of the names 'ReactJS' and 'React' for their own software products arguably encroaches on the foundation's marks enough to cause confusion among consumers.

Trade marks that are not defended are soon lost. Two years ago when ReactJS went public a polite letter from the foundation to Facebook Inc. (plus a press release about the letter protesting Facebook Inc.'s theft of the foundation's trade marks sent to some major FOSS blogs and technical web publications) might have been enough to persuade the Facebook people to re-brand their products under different names. Now? Who knows? But better late than never.
Quite correct Middings.

Konata, I'm not mad about it in the slightest. I just see quite clearly that some time in the future this issue will come back to bite the ReactOS project. It won't hurt me personally but that issue doesn't just disappear because we don't talk about it anymore on the forum.

Whilst on the subject of not using the ReactOS logo and name it is very pertinent to mention the ReactJS case again as there is a conflict in the logic that says protect ReactOS but don't bother in that particular case. This logic will enable someone else to do exactly the same if they want. Nico could create his own fork, call it ReaLtOS and use the atom logo from ReactJS that has been used already by a similar project with no ill effect. He has a fork that looks just like the original and he only has to change one letter in the code.

In fact I could do so now. Anyone could.