0.4.7 RC1 - USB works only in the first second

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Michael Long

0.4.7 RC1 - USB works only in the first second

Post by Michael Long »

Hello,
I just tried ReactOS again after quite some years. I used real hardware, a USB mouse, a USB keyboard, the installation CD and also the live CD both in the version "0.4.7 RC1".

First I tried with the live CD inserted but got stuck when I was asked for the preferred language because I saw a mouse pointer but couldn't move it and the keyboard wasn't doing anything either.

Then I tried the installation CD where I also got stuck when I was asked for the preferred language. I unplugged the mouse (because it wasn't necessary for the installation anyway) and retried/rebooted but had the same issue. Then I deactivated built-in devices like the network adapter and the sound adapter with the BIOS and retried but the keyboard still didn't do anything.

Then I was noticing that when the computer boots with the installation CD inserted
  1. first the BIOS switches on the num-lock-LED
  2. then ReactOS takes over and shows the language selection.
  3. Then there is about 1 second where the keyboard is working but
  4. after this second ReactOS switches of the num-lock-LED and at the same time the keyboard is not working anymore.
I cannot use the num-lock-key to get the LED on again nor do anything with the keyboard anymore.

So with both CDs (live and installation) I get stuck when I need to use the USB input devices at the first time.

The computer does not have a PS/2 port (or if it does, then it's only a pin header on the motherboard).

I tried to deactivate the USB legacy mode but then USB didn't work at all anymore. ReactOS even switches off the num-lock-LED before showing the language selection screen.

I tried to activate and deactivate the XHCI mode for USB 3.0 support (even though I plugged in the keyboard and mouse on 2.0 ports) but this didn't have any effect.

Is this a known issue?
Michael Long

Re: 0.4.7 RC1 - USB works only in the first second

Post by Michael Long »

Ok, I found a bug report in JIRA (CORE-13350). It wasn't that easy with 200 open issues which have the word "USB" in it's text.

Is there a way to delete this topic?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

http://vgal.ru.com/reactos-75965-new-usb/

Please try these and give us some feedback. This is the new and not yet active USB stack.

EDIT: Yes, USB is one of these long infesting construction zones we still have.... There are DOZENS of bugs in the current one (and because of that in Jira too). Thanks to vgal and all devs supporting him we will have a really good one soon.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

I am sorry, I haven't fully understood your response. Would you like me to try the linked iso or is the new usb stack already included in 0.4.7 RC 1? I can give it a try but don't want to waste another CD if it wouldn't do any difference because it's the same/already in RC1.

My English is not so good.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Michael Long wrote:I am sorry, I haven't fully understood your response. Would you like me to try the linked iso or is the new usb stack already included in 0.4.7 RC 1? I can give it a try but don't want to waste another CD if it wouldn't do any difference because it's the same/already in RC1.

My English is not so good.
The USB fixes by vgal are NOT in the 0.4.7 (RC1, whatever...) release: that's why EmuandCo asks you to test this separate build.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

@hbelusca: Thank you for simplifying the message.

I now burned the linked installation iso and the live cd iso to 2 separate discs and tried them both one after another.

The result is different now. Unfortunately it's not fixed.

When I use the installation cd the last thing I see is the message "Loading boot drivers ..." and a loading bar at 100% below it. Then the screen turns to black while the num-lock-LED is still on.
When I use the live cd the last thing I see is also the message "Loading boot drivers ..." and a loading bat at 100% below it. Then the screen gets filled with dark grey while the num-lock-LED is off.
When I use the live the with the option "screen" there comes a lot of text after the "Loading boot drivers ..."-message but it passes by very fast so I can barely read anything. It looks as there were pages and pages full of messages related to usb. The text then finally (after about a minute) comes to a halt. The last messages all seem to relate to usb. I wrote down the last few lines on a paper (there are more but it was a lot of work already). I hope that they are useful in some way. If necessary I can write down a few more:
(../drivers/usb/usbport/endpoint.c:1317) USBPORT_FlushClosedEndpointList: ...
(../ntoskrnl/cc/copy.c:103) IoPageRead failed, Status c000003c
(../ntoskrnl/mm/section.c:5062) cc failure: c000003c
(../dll/ntdll/ldr/ldrapi.c:862) NtCreateSection() failed (Status 0xc000003c)
(../sdk/lib/rtl/priv.c:443) Retrieving token handle failed (Status c000007c)

*** Fatal System Error: 0xc000021a
(0x0031FDB4, 0xc000003c, 0x00433018, 0x00000000)

☐[7h☐
Entered debugger on embedded INT3 at 0x0008:0x80945ea4.
kdb:>
One more thing maybe worth mentioning: In both live cds I have tested (the RC1 and the one from vgal) the keyboard is working in the selection screen where there is the screen-option and the debug-option and so on to choose.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I am not really up to date with recent debugging commands, maybe @hbelusca will correct what I am saying here, but... The way you were able to see text and ending with kdb:> is the one I was hoping for (Debug to Screen). Would you please try entering "bt" (without the "" of course) and then push Enter and then show us the result? vgal will be happy about any logs with stuff to fix. And this would be one log he hopes for so much. (Try translating his blog post to english with google and you know what I mean.) Thx in advance. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry, but the keyboard does not seem to work. So, entering something does not seem to have an effect.

Are the lines above those I have written down of any use? I can get them if they are helpful (making a kind of screen-"shot").

Thank you for the translation program hint. I didn't think of it. Yes I had problems understanding his Russian text (or whatever it is), indeed.
Last edited by Michael Long on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hm, maybe vgal can get information from that too. A photo would be nice.

florian

Post by florian »

Michael Long wrote:[...] I can give it a try but don't want to waste another CD [...].
Best thing would be to buy a rewritable CD - oder vielleicht schlummert sogar noch eine wiederbeschreibbare CD irgendwo bei Dir? :)
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

@EmuandCo: yep nothing changed so far in this regards, the backtraces are still obtained with the "bt" command :)
@testers: Yes, just use CD-RWs, that's the best when you want to try many builds of ReactOS in real hardware.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

I am sorry that it took me so long. I did some bug tracking for Debian and that destroyed 2 motherboards of mine, so I was busy with repairing and replacing.

Here is a screen"shot". I don't have a photo camera so I had to place my screen on my photo copier, print out what the copier could see and scan the paper back in. The quality is bad but necessity is the mother of invention. ;-)

[ external image ]

Is there anything else I can do to help?
middings

Post by middings »

Something has gone wrong. I only see the word "Image". I see no image nor a link to an image.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

middings wrote:Something has gone wrong. I only see the word "Image". I see no image nor a link to an image.
I am sorry. I didn't knew because it works for me. Anyway, here is a link:
http://ontheserver.de/temp/ReactOS/E3815USB.png
middings

Post by middings »

Thank you for the link, Michael Long. I can view the image with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and with LibreOffice Draw 5.3.
Strangely, Firefox 52.4.0 (32-bit) shows an all-black image with this text at the top:

Code: Select all

The image "http://ontheserver.de/temp/ReactOS/E3815USB.png" cannot be displayed because it contains errors.
(I have notified the authors of the Firefox web browser of this issue.)