Benefits of GitHub?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fraizeraust
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Benefits of GitHub?

Post by Fraizeraust » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm

I realise the question might not hold some sense from a layman like me but what GitHub would benefit ReactOS in general, apart from Git being used widely by programmers and developers alike?

gigaherz
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by gigaherz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:12 pm

I don't normally post in the forums, but I will make an exception this time:
  • Public exposure: github is widely known and makes it easy for existing git users to contribute.
  • Local git history: everyone gets an entire copy of all the history, meaning browsing the logs, creating branches, etc. are all local operations that perform much faster and smoother.
  • Better contribution workflow: external contributors that aren't in the trusted commiters group are able to submit pullrequests instead of patches, which makes the task of writing AND merging those changes better for everyone.
  • Most of the team wanted to switch away from svn: meaning on average, we are all happier and with renewed excitement for the project.

Konata
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by Konata » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:10 am

I for one could never navigate that JIRA thing for the life of me, GitHub's UI is really simple and coherent, so that's one thing I'm particularly happy about.

gigaherz
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by gigaherz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 am

Then I'm sad to inform you, that we only use github for pull requests, not for submitting bug reports. That still goes through JIRA. ;P

PurpleGurl
Posts: 1766
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am
Location: USA

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by PurpleGurl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:00 am

I have some criticisms such as the allegedly bizarre beliefs and behaviors of those who run it. I read an article that alleged anti-white racist practices. Not sure how true that is, or even if that would impact us in the least even if it were true. I am just throwing that out there. I for one am not interested in discussing those political aspects.

jimtabor
Developer
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by jimtabor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 am

So far~ it's grind development to a halt. I know, it's new and stuff like that. Just cuz Microsoft uses it, still think that's a lie or not telling the full story about it. Can you really trust them?

I'll play with it more tomorrow.

GIT? Get? Got? Get out of here!

val
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:22 am

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by val » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:04 pm

I tried git for Windows. Not even digging into any practical use, just cloned some tiny project. But even typing elementary commands makes spikes in CPU usage. Really? command line utility showing its version should eat up that much CPU? It derives its version from DNA deciphering or what? Literally anything did so. Maybe it's normal for linux, after all - anything there runs CPU hungry, but for me it's meh. So I stopped even thinking about its use. I threw away the idea to use linux itself because of the same reason years ago. It's inefficient AF.

After all why this git thing? What benefits? Just because "everybody does so"?

So you say now any person from outside willing to suggest some "patch", should mess up with these "pull requests"? No Svn anymore?

What the anti-white racist thing? PurpleGirl, maybe you have some links to read about this interesting thing?
Konata wrote:I for one could never navigate that JIRA thing for the life of me, GitHub's UI is really simple and coherent, so that's one thing I'm particularly happy about.
true, but it's slow as hell.
Last edited by val on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fraizeraust
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by Fraizeraust » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm

gigaherz wrote:I don't normally post in the forums, but I will make an exception this time:
  • Public exposure: github is widely known and makes it easy for existing git users to contribute.
  • Local git history: everyone gets an entire copy of all the history, meaning browsing the logs, creating branches, etc. are all local operations that perform much faster and smoother.
  • Better contribution workflow: external contributors that aren't in the trusted commiters group are able to submit pullrequests instead of patches, which makes the task of writing AND merging those changes better for everyone.
  • Most of the team wanted to switch away from svn: meaning on average, we are all happier and with renewed excitement for the project.
That says a lot. Thanks for your answer!

hbelusca
Developer
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by hbelusca » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 pm

One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(

ctasan
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by ctasan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:52 pm

hbelusca wrote:One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(
Eric Kohl? SHIT. I'll be really sad if he leaves...

Fraizeraust
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by Fraizeraust » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:16 pm

hbelusca wrote:One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(
Kind of OT but please don't tell me it's true... :(

PurpleGurl
Posts: 1766
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am
Location: USA

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by PurpleGurl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 pm

hbelusca wrote:One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(
Hope it's not you.

hbelusca
Developer
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by hbelusca » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 pm

PurpleGurl wrote:
hbelusca wrote:One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(
Hope it's not you.
Nah, not me. But we are currently finding a way to improve the workflow for core developers.

jimtabor
Developer
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by jimtabor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 pm

He'll come back soon.

PurpleGurl
Posts: 1766
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am
Location: USA

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by PurpleGurl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 am

OT: Since I aroused curiosity, here are some links:

http://www.businessinsider.com/github-t ... ory-2016-2

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/02/0 ... sity-team/

Look at the presentation list. The first and last items come across as offensive to me.

It seems they started out erring in the other direction where the code that was allowed and the atmosphere was allegedly sexist and racist.

https://gizmodo.com/5980842/there-is-bl ... ithub-code

And if you search, you'll find more.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], DotBot [Crawler], Yandex [Bot] and 4 guests