Nothing except code audit for now?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

temarez

Nothing except code audit for now?

Post by temarez »

Will all of developers concentrate only on code audit and make no improvements? If I’ll make translation of something that is already uploaded into trunk again and post it into bugzilla will someone add this translation?
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

They have said the next version will be 0.3 with the same goles as before, so i think they will be mostly on the audit but will make some improvments although it may be at/towards the end. I woult think your translation would be included but posably not as quick as normal.
temarez

Post by temarez »

Mrkaras wrote:... i think they will be mostly on the audit but will make some improvments
Yeah, I hope so. Because from new changes that I see in Service Manager directory it seems to me that there is already a little progress, not only audit. It makes me happy :D
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Of course code will be rewritten and things upgraded.
But I don't think there will be new fuctionality before the audit process is done... :?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

temarez wrote: Yeah, I hope so. Because from new changes that I see in Service Manager directory it seems to me that there is already a little progress, not only audit. It makes me happy :D
That's just me keeping myself busy until the audit gets up and running ;)

However I'll still be committing improvments whilst the audit is taking place, so there is nothing to stop you submitting patches.
SamB

Post by SamB »

ged wrote:[...] there is nothing to stop you submitting patches.
Except for the lack of things to submit patches for... :(
dj50

Post by dj50 »

I'd sugest beeing open and transparent about this code audit. Since a period of no improvments comes it will become harder and harder to keep people around, so the only chance I see would be to keep everybody very well informed about the progress of things.

A big red progress bar on the first page could be an idea (e.g. 37% of code audited). Another idea: very frequent news - give people something to talk about.
Sami

Post by Sami »

dj50 wrote:...A big red progress bar on the first page...
I like that idea :P Even if that would be updated once a week. It does not even have to be exact. 10, 20,...90,100 would be fine for me.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Sound good, some form of frequent update would be good. even an anouncement forum post stating progress update weakly would do.

Even if it was a percentage of the the audited repositery file size vs the old one, doesn't measure work involved but would be easy to calculate and would give some indication.
Sami

Post by Sami »

Anything would do. Please give us some kind of indication of the audit status :cry:

But dont use too much time for that, keeping up the work is priority :)
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Is everything, wich is audited instantly put into the new repository? If yes, I can post a graph with no of files / size of the new repository in comparison to a version few weeks before this thing startet.
current: 12% Files, 10% Size
justinkr

Maybe the answer is...

Post by justinkr »

Maybe the answer is to have an audit team who continually audits new commits. It would prevent the need to halt the entire project in the event this happens again in the future, and could possibly benefit should a lawsuit arise.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

A big red progress bar on the first page could be an idea (e.g. 37% of code audited). Another idea: very frequent news - give people something to talk about.
+1
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I'm going to try and push for the developers to use the new blogging system, which will help to give an insight into the audit.

I'll also see what can be done by way of a dynamic progress status on the website.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I see we got the big red progress bar (although it is blue :) )