ROS Gaming? :D lol

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nulidann

Re: ROS Gaming? :D lol

Post by Nulidann »

I could see it running Sims. The modern FPS type games probably not so much
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Of course it will be able, eventually.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

I'm pretty confident ReactOS will get there the fact that the project is attracting some Linux kernel developers is a good sign. Work on low level DirectX is happening. Who knows maybe we could even see hardware accelerated 3d rendering starting to work before the year is over.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Zombiedeth wrote:the fact that the project is attracting some Linux kernel developers is a good sign.
The sad truth is, they cannot help ReactOS. While it is great we are attracting people, especially developers, we are talking about the NT kernel, not the Linux kernel. The only use they would have for ReactOS is either helping Wine or getting some of the Linux file systems working, like ext3/4, btrfs, f2fs, etc.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Linux devs can only help us if they also have Windows Kernel experience. In terms of more abstract, generic code, they can help, like in the DirectX type stuff, but not in drivers or the kernel unless they are at least somewhat familiar with Windows internals. We lucked out in last year's GSOC where at least 2 of the devs were Linux devs but wanted to learn to code Windows drivers. Those are likely the best type of coders, those who can understand the differences of the 2 OSs and how to rewrite from one for the other. After all, the core hardware code would be pretty much the same regardless of the OS, but that code has to have a wrapper of sorts to be used by the specific OS. For instance, you'd send the same things to a specific make and model of printer (or other device) regardless of what OS, but each OS has a different process of getting the commands there.
jebbasha

Post by jebbasha »

what about in 2021?
marcin1

Post by marcin1 »

nothing new..
On linux we have steam proton and much games are working fine.
Here we haven't synced with the newest wine because it's not the main aim right now. And other things...
Hmz27

Post by Hmz27 »

"...drivers that would work with ReactOS, though I heard Vulkan can run on XP if someone made a driver for it" regarding the .5x series

It does seem that Vulkan would work with XP and above but finding the relevant library files and drivers is quite the tasks with sources removed last time I checked.
Would agree on it having potential uses and being a good addition but I know it's not an active focus rn in a similar way to 'ReactX'

But have been following the progress for a while and thought I'd just show my support by saying where I'd stand on implementing something. It would still be accurate, and even if anyone disagrees about it lining up with how XP would work then I'd refer you to IE's engine not exactly having a reverse engineered implementation, or the entirely new branches that implement things differently. Not sure if it was the Arwins one.
So there have been some deviations before, and it wouldn't be so 'out-there' to have it support Vulkan and Vulkan Drivers. ❤️