Has anyone tested assemblers...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

Has anyone tested assemblers...

Post by MugenFighter »

Has anyone tested assemblers meant to compile to DOS/Windows in ReactOS? If so, do they work? Finally, how well do they work. I don't know why I thought of it; I guess I just noticed a lack of assemblers in the ReactOS Application Manager's online app downloader/installer.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
JHKr0md1yk

Re: Has anyone tested assemblers...

Post by JHKr0md1yk »

Well, assemblers, as executables, aren't exactly big by any stretch of the word and probably won't tax a lot of Win32 equivalent ROS APIs, so afaics there's isn't a lot of value in employing assemblers as testing tools in ROS. But it still beats nothing, and utilising different assemblers for the ROS compliation process might uncover some unusual or hard-to-uncover bugs. So if I may put foward some suggestions off the bat; MASM32 (goes without saying as it is MS's native assembler, but be warned; it comes with a restrictive license wrt FOSS projects), POASM from Pelles C, and the spiritual successor of the ""open"" Watcom compiler+assembler suite, HJWASM. These 3 assemblers follow the MS macro assembling paradigm.

Other assemblers include FASM and GoASM.
middings

Post by middings »

I'm looking forward to the day ReactOS's tool chain can build ReactOS on ReactOS.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

middings wrote:I'm looking forward to the day ReactOS's tool chain can build ReactOS on ReactOS.
I thought we were almost there.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Almost, yes. Until ROS dies due to mem leaks. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

So what is causing the leaks? Bad memory manager? Poor kernel and shell code?