An idea for ReactOS website

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ROCKNROLLKID

An idea for ReactOS website

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

So, I was thinking, there are quite a lot of people that would love to help out ReactOS anyway they can, but of course, not all of them have the money to donate or have any coding skills. So why not put some ads on the website. They can be non-tracking or non-intrusive ads. I found a great ad server that would go good with ReactOS. It is called Revive Adserver and it is free and open-source to use: https://www.revive-adserver.com/

I was thinking if people didn't have money to donate, they could just click on some ads for you. You could put it on the main website or maybe create a second website that does have ads on them and one that doesn't.

Any thoughts on this? I know lots of people hate ads, but if you use Revive, I would be willing to click on some ads for you and probably some others, too.

MadWolf

Re: An idea for ReactOS website

Post by MadWolf »

ads on ReactOS website NO NO NO !!! a lot of people use ad blockers

ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Some people use ad blockers because of specific reasons, like the ads are too intrusive or they track users, but using something like a open-source server like revive along with non-tracking ads in a non-intrusive way, at least I would be willing to white list ReactOS for it.

If nothing else, it is also why I suggested a second website, one that does have ads on them and keep this one without ads.

I mean come on, what way to make some extra ads then to just click a link. Everyone wins.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I see the point. But will it help that much? If so, then why not well-behaved ads that don't play automatically if they are videos, don't pop up, don't get in the way, don't make false claims, and don't present offensive material? Now, would that go too far outside of the spirit of what we're trying to do?

ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Well it help? Sure. Will it help much? That all depends on who is willing to click on ads and all. You can have ads that apply to everything you say, too. Just have to find the right ones. It's worth a shot, is it not?

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I don't know how the Foundation will feel about it.

There are a few other considerations that should be taken into account. Some of the ad behavior I find annoying includes trying to push a competitor's product, analyzing your cookies to suggest a vendor you likely purchased from and won't need for a while, and causing confusion on download pages.

Let me give an example. Let's say you want to download Defraggler. Ideally, the best way to do so would be to go to Piriform's site and get it there. But maybe you found it on Major Geek or some other site. So you go to the download page, not pay much attention, and click on the first download link you see near the description, and next thing you know, the trial version of Diskeeper is installing. That is annoying where ads that show on download pages masquerade as the product or program that you want. We'd hate to have others click in our download page and end up with a Linux distro.

ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Well, that would be a example of a intrusive ad, which shouldn't happen.

Alternatively, another idea could be to mirror ReactOS on CodePlex, which is Microsoft's open-source hosting site. It is great for Windows applications, so ReactOS would fit perfectly there and also any ads clicked on the project page, a portion goes to the project. The only problem is that I do not know what kind of ads run on CodePlex.

I am only throwing ideas out. What the team does is up to them.

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Microsoft is not allowed to host ReactOS on its servers per its policy. Any one Windows developer mistakenly looks at that and oops, whole Windows gets GPL...
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2