What we can do before the new code is out !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

uriox

What we can do before the new code is out !

Post by uriox »

There are a lot of things I think, but the devs can correct me if I'm wrong.

- Interface design : icons, wallpapers, sounds, ReactOS skins for different programs (winamp, foobar, windowblinds, ...)

- ROS explorer : as far as I know it has nothing to do with the kernel code or whatever needs to be changed. And it can be tested under windows. And it misses a lot of features, still has bugs, etc., and more importantly, I do think it has the potential of becoming a GREAT opensource project by itself. After all, where do you find an opensource alternate shell+file manager combined for windows ??? The answer is absolutely nowhere, because until ROS explorer this didn't exist (yes you have litestep/geoshell/etc. but no file manager).

- Probably a lot more (opensource firewall, defragmenter, process viewer, task switcher, clipboard, etc.) !!!

All this could potentially constitute the basis of a whole environment. Don't simply wait for the kernel, an OS is not only a kernel, it's also a look-and-feel. Having this environment, which can be tested under windows, would be an important step IMHO. Time to be creative guys, to have a graphic chart, etc., so that when the kernel is ready, your new OS is nearly there.

Thanks for your attention guys, that was just a few thoughts.
yeager1977

Post by yeager1977 »

Is there one place in particular that has a breakdown of exactly what things need to be done? kinda like a project plan etc with requirementes maybe? I would love to pick some of this stuff up if I could!!!!
Never Doubt that a small committed group of individuals can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
unkemptwolf

Post by unkemptwolf »

I too would appreciate some place where smaller projects could be worked on. I've taken a few C/C++/Java classes, and have a basic understanding of how to program, so if there were, for example a "Projects for ReactOS N00bs" section where I could get my hands dirty, that would be awesome, and it would allow me to do more than just troll the forums . :D
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I might also be interested in taking up some small part, I can program Ok, but not in C so some noob projects might be good. the sort of little bits and peices that need to be done eventualy but that the developers have more inportint theings to do. maby also list larger items that could do with more help.
Moddy

Post by Moddy »

Id be willing to help ROS explorer as much as I can. As its primarily C++ (IRCC) I'd be at home with it.
IZombie

Post by IZombie »

As for an opensource firewall... there is Core Force which is coming along quite nicely. The devs say that it "may be open source" when its done. Try it if you like, its still free.

Do you wish to know more?

http://force.coresecurity.com/
http://force.coresecurity.com/index.php ... pic&tid=97
http://force.coresecurity.com/index.php ... =10&aid=16
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Even better is http://sourceforge.net/projects/winpooch

Which is already open source (GPL on top of that) and is mature. It hooks up with ClamWin to provide a nice, GPL security center.
PUOjACKz

Re: What we can do before the new code is out !

Post by PUOjACKz »

uriox wrote:There are a lot of things I think, but the devs can correct me if I'm wrong.

- Interface design : icons, wallpapers, sounds, ReactOS skins for different programs (winamp, foobar, windowblinds, ...)

Maybe is a good thing try to add a Vista Version of Interface Design, in order to decharge a lot of work, in the future.
- Probably a lot more (opensource firewall, defragmenter, process viewer, task switcher, clipboard, etc.) !!!
In Italian forum of ROS, we are still talking about some ideas about security and general & cosmetic features to include in ROS (or maybe a parallel distro of the OS).
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

There is one thing that does not depend on the reactos tree that I know of.

Mesa3d. Does complete opengl emulation. This takes a extream amount of processor time. Windows 9x-XP cheat. Opengl is done at 1.2 instead of 1.5 the current. This option would be a benfit to Linux/Unix and Reactos. If someone can work out how to do it without major ammount of weight.

It a Hack that would be helpful.

Most likely there are more places that could contunal. Even that Reactos is stalled.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Mesa3D is still developped... There was a new release 10 days ago.

And on Windows, Mesa3D implement opengl 1.5 as you can see on the readme:
http://www.mesa3d.org/RELNOTES-6.4.2
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Mesa3d does Opengl 1.5.

What I was mentioning. If there is simple way to step it back so the applications only think its 1.2 or something like that. Would speed up appliations and reduce processor load. Ie systems without 3d card able to reduce the output of a opengl program to increase speed.

The extras added in 1.3 1.4 and 1.5 take a lot of processor time.

For speed sometimes mesa just renders to good.
dj50

Go ROS Explorer!

Post by dj50 »

I suggest developing ROS Explorer and distributing it as a stand-alone Windows application for the time being. As far as I see it, it isn't far from being on par with the 2k explorer, and having features like multiple desktops without the bloatness and awkwardness of litestep & co. would be something very attractive to a lot of proffesionals.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

sorry if this is a stupid question, and/or if the answer was easy to find after all (i didnt find it...), but is the ROS Explorer open source and if yes, where could I download the source? I might be able to do some nice bugfixes/changes... I didnt think it was open source caus then more ppl would be posting about it but i have hope... :D
-graey-
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

geertvdijk wrote:[...] but is the ROS Explorer open source and if yes, where could I download the source? I might be able to do some nice bugfixes/changes... I didnt think it was open source caus then more ppl would be posting about it but i have hope... :D
Visit the following website, it's the RosExplorer (and WineFile) official home:
http://www.sky.franken.de/explorer/
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

geertvdijk wrote:Is the ROS Explorer open source and if yes, where could I download the source?
You can download the latest version using svn. Path is svn://svn.reactos.ru/reactos/trunk/reactos/base/shell/explorer . But you will have to download all of reactos to use it's build system.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?