ReactOS hires a new developer. Discover what's coming!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

ReactOS hires a new developer. Discover what's coming!

Post by vicmarcal »

Just in case you missed it!
https://reactos.org/project-news/reacto ... -re-hiring
Oh! And ReactOS thanks to your donations is now able to hire another Dev more. So please, share that link and move the world to find devs willing to enroll in ReactOS. Two devs at the same time will be a new awesome milestone.
ctasan

Re: ReactOS hires a new developer. Discover what's coming!

Post by ctasan »

Who's the other dev?
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
Bassa31

Post by Bassa31 »

vicmarcal wrote:Just in case you missed it!
https://reactos.org/project-news/reacto ... -re-hiring
Oh! And ReactOS thanks to your donations is now able to hire another Dev more. So please, share that link and move the world to find devs willing to enroll in ReactOS. Two devs at the same time will be a new awesome milestone.
Great work!
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I really hate to be the one to say this, really I do, but using paid developers to get more software compatibility in ReactOS at it's current state, is a very inefficient way of using peoples money. ReactOS has bigger issues, like a lack of modern technology, like USB, VESA, HDMI drivers, etc, which this is denying many people from using ReactOS. Also a more modern filesystem that can handle large partitions and file sizes would also help, too. You guys are so close to getting ext2 done, maybe you switch your focus to these things. I don't mean to tell you guys how to do your job honestly, but I just think this would be a better sue of peoples money.

Besides that, really proud to see new developers coming along to ReactOS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

"like USB, VESA, HDMI drivers"

USB is progressing well behind the scenes.
VESA is already there
HDMI is not our beer, we need to get GFX drivers working though.

The money once was given to get these apps working and we HAVE to make them running. Liability and stuff.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Yes, I saw USB is under progress but he could still work on the parts that aren't being worked on yet.

I didn't know VESA was already supported. Thought I read somewhere that it was not yet done. Must of misunderstood.

Well today I just hooked up my new 4K 120hz TV to my computer and previously before that I had a 1080p TV (used as monitor too), so HDMI support is important to me and probably others.

Well whatever you decide, I still am loving ReactOS and will be using it as a replacement to Windows for sure, you know when the time comes.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I am sure the dev will work on the other broken parts of USB once he gets the time (college). It seemed he was on a roll and knows how to finish the USB support.

I don't see this approach as a waste. The money was already earmarked for this. It was a contract of sorts, saying that if they donated, they could expect certain things. So this is not a regular practice, but being done to fulfill an obligation. That is the thing with fundraising. If you make promises to get the funds, then you have to spend on what the donors see as important to remain ethical, legal, and show good faith. It is not a waste, since many programs install or run the same way, and thus while fixing for one, many others might also run.

I do agree that there are deeper matters of note. It is not a matter of just lacking drivers for modern devices, but ROS not even being able to "limp" on a lot of hardware. Except for mass storage drivers, most devices will work in Windows to some degree without the proper drivers, but with slower performance or missing features, or they are non-essential for booting (eg., sound) and just won't work but don't cause major system problems. Instead, ROS will crash on a lot of hardware combinations.
middings

Post by middings »

PurpleGurl wrote:...ROS will crash on a lot of hardware combinations.
This is unfortunately true.

The lack of a robust USB stack seems to balk ReactOS installations on many laptops and newer desktops that use a USB mouse and keyboard. Removing this frustration would improve ReactOS's reputation among the many people who decide to give ReactOS a casual try. A good quality USB stack that can allow ReactOS to install from a USB storage device would also make installing easier for those who have moved beyond CD-ROMs as their off-line storage. Being able to install ReactOS on hardware from a USB storage device would make testing and bug hunting bisections on hardware easier and faster.

I know that the developers within and outside the core ReactOS project team are working hard to move the project forward. The 3-month release cycle that began with 0.4.0 has been kept up. I believe that is a success. Producing frequent releases for a project as large and complicated as ReactOS is difficult. I leave it to the developer team to decide which ReactOS features will get attention. I am mostly just a ReactOS fan who cheers on the team from the stadium seats.