Sad... but let's fork it to another place

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

murphy666

Sad... but let's fork it to another place

Post by murphy666 »

What I mean is that i'm really not afraid of the microsoft legal bullshit and I said to all... Let's get the project back with another name and continue with people how are not afraid of the legal situation. Anyway if they think that ReactOS could have been a threat to them they will have taken legal action against the project regardless of the source code of ReactOS.

So I said gook luck ReactOS, but let's start another project with the current ReactOS code base.
foofoo

Another legal body

Post by foofoo »

For ReactOS development it might be useful to have another legal body in Europe to reduce risks.
cuppm

Re: Sad... but let's fork it to another place

Post by cuppm »

murphy666 wrote:What I mean is that i'm really not afraid of the microsoft legal bullshit and I said to all...
Then I think you may have underestimated their legal power?

Forking is not the answer to the problem, you end up with duplicated efforts and it doesn't necessarily fix the potential legal issues. Just have a little patience to wait until the code has been cleaned and the SVN is backup. I would think that once they remove the offending code, they could make the source available again even if the replacement code was not yet written.
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

IMHO, what developer has decided, about ROS, is good. In this new way, no one could harm the project. The OS is opensource. MS hasn't released their code, so, the only way to obtain an OpenSource Windows is to use the decompiled assembly code as a guide, about what the coders have to implement in the enviroment.

Trying to play with microsoft, about legal issues, is a dangerous game, very dangerous.
murphy666

Post by murphy666 »

I don't want to talk about the legal stuffs... I will let that to legal people. Also i don't want to blame the developers, they did what seem to be good for them, but the result of this is that they will lost the "momentum" of being and alternative for people how don't want to upgrade to Vista.

I know that with the timeline they had, ReactOS could not be ready for public release when Vista come out, but if it have been stable enough they could have gain a lot of attention and this could have result in a great success. But now, maybe ReactOS will not even boot when Vista will get out and people will have only the choice of staying with Win2000/XP and lost support from microsoft OR to upgrade to Vista.

Another time, I'll just say thank you for the good time, I which you good luck with your rewrite.
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

murphy666 wrote:I don't want to talk about the legal stuffs... I will let that to legal people. Also i don't want to blame the developers, they did what seem to be good for them, but the result of this is that they will lost the "momentum" of being and alternative for people how don't want to upgrade to Vista.
Maybe, ROS shouldn't follow it's Microsoft Counter part. If an OS try to recreate, in another enviroment, the same features already implemented in a commercial system, the user is not so interested to pass.
Why, because, a corporation could give you an official support about the problems that you could encounter (of course, paying ;) ).
Windows Vista contain a lot of new tools, but, in other point of view, it have integrated a TPM tecnology (Fritz Chip).
This type of device could lead to a false sense of security, through the total breaking of the privacy, for the user, and not keeping the information safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_chip

If you read here, an attacker only need to change a little thing, in a program, to cause a DoS, in the system, damaging the user.
Then, the most worst, is that, probably, the user could not trust this type of system, due to the fact that, in some case, the information cointained, in the box, could not transported in another computer. So, who could use these feature, if an hardware error or damage could make important data, unreachable?

Fritz Chip, without Owner Override, could be a threat, for the user, than a friend.
About the support of WinXP, maybe, in it's counter part for Server (Win2k3), you could access, if you have enough money, to a support, but if you are an home-user, forget it. Have you ever seen a patch to increment the compatibility of the programs, using the compatibility utility that the OS has? I don't.

Maybe we should help ROS programming (if someone is so good to do so), or give some good idea, and not point them with our finger.
They could, with no remorse, close everything up, and say to the others: "Use Linux, with all the the good and bad point of this decision, maybe, using Wine, and go one".
If they decide, to check out the code, maybe we shoud applause to them, for all the work that they continue to do, for no-money profit.

Long Life to ReactOS.