Does development continue?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GvG

Post by GvG »

Stead wrote:the only thing i don't understand is, if microsoft hasn't said anything thus far, why are there such dramatic changes?
If you find stuff in your project which is questionable, you can think "oh well, let's see if we can get away with it" or you can set out to fix it. Fixing it will take a lot of energy, but it is the right thing to do.
dj50

Post by dj50 »

I'm really disappointed about this situation and the way the devs handle this situation. Reading the two threads posted on this topic I couldn't find out if or how much code is created from disassembled Windows code. It's true that admiting this in public wouldn't help the project, but since there is so much code to be rewritten that it would take month or ... years ... I figure that there's a lot of it.

So guys ... can we get at least an updated roadmap?
GvG

Post by GvG »

The biggest problem isn't disassembled code. The fact is that 4 of the developers have had a copy of the leaked Windows source. They have stated that no code from the leaked source found it's way into ReactOS and there is no reason not to believe them. Still, they did see some of the leaked source and we decided that any code contributed by them to the components they saw must be removed. This is what's going to take the most time. To make it absolutely clear: there is no reason to believe that any code in ReactOS was copied from the leaked source, but we have to stay on the cautious side here. That's the price we have to pay.
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

GvG wrote:we decided that any code contributed by them to the components they saw must be removed
Now by removed, do you mean scrapped completely, or do you mean taken offline, and then someone, possibly the original author provided he's still around, do the whole "document and then someone else rewrite based on documentation" bit?
GvG

Post by GvG »

Initially, it will be scrapped completely. The version with the parts removed will then be put into the new repository, where we can start working on replacing them. We can use documents produced by the original authors for the "replacement" part.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

The project has taken a big hit. ReactOS will not recover soon enough to be a product of any kind. If this takes years to redo from scrach, I would say Redmond won. Even if it would take a year the project is over.
I'm inclined to agree.

I think the four "tainted" developers owe the ReactOS community and supporters a public apology if nothing else.
re-mind

an apology?

Post by re-mind »

No!

imho this is not your project, and therefore they do not owe you anything. THEY have written the code, and THEY share it with you because they think it is the right thing to do. asking for an apology for that is just plain childish. I think that those devs who have been tainted have put alot of work into the project and they run the risk - why should they apologize to you about that?

I cant blame them for what has happend. everyone has done something illigal at one point, and thats how we all get smarter - nothing wrong with that either.

i love the idea of ros, and i still do :) i hope that the people behind the project wont have any great problems with the huge workload ahead.
I wish to like people more.
dj50

Post by dj50 »

... so, how long will it take (roughly) to get all the actual codebase to a clean state and start moving forward again?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

dj50 wrote:... so, how long will it take (roughly) to get all the actual codebase to a clean state and start moving forward again?
They said it: years
dj50

Post by dj50 »

Years means that by then ReactOS will be totally useless ... :?
RandomMe

Post by RandomMe »

dj50 wrote:Years means that by then ReactOS will be totally useless ... :?
True. But I can't imagine this whole thing would take years. But if so, they should rather start developing a Windows Vista Compatible System.
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

RandomMe wrote:True. But I can't imagine this whole thing would take years. But if so, they should rather start developing a Windows Vista Compatible System.
Well, considering ReactOS is supposed to be compatable with NT 4.0, 2000 and XP, and the fact that Vista is not much more than a prettied up XP, you could say that ReactOS is already on it's way to being Vista compatable :) The next big Windows change, which is supposed to be equivalent of the 3.1 -> 9x change or the 9x -> NT change will be Longhorn, in 2011. And I'm pretty sure ReactOS will be long stable by then.
i386DX

Post by i386DX »

Sirmatto wrote: The next big Windows change, which is supposed to be equivalent of the 3.1 -> 9x change or the 9x -> NT change will be Longhorn, in 2011. And I'm pretty sure ReactOS will be long stable by then.
Vista is Longhorn... (longhorn was the codename; like whistler was for XP and Janus for 3.11)
foofoo

Re: an apology?

Post by foofoo »

re-mind wrote:No!

imho this is not your project, and therefore they do not owe you anything. THEY have written the code, and THEY share it with you because they think it is the right thing to do. asking for an apology for that is just plain childish. I think that those devs who have been tainted have put alot of work into the project and they run the risk - why should they apologize to you about that?
I think ReactOS has to release the tainted Code for non-US people who want to continue.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Well since your going back to the drawing board maybe shoot for 64bit lmao
And maybe take all the good things vista has and impliment them too.