ReactOS install

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Murmur

ReactOS install

Post by Murmur »

I had a bit of time today to fool around with Ros and tried to install the latest on physical hardware and on hyper-v

-First time I tried it on hyper-v it wouldn't go past a black screen. After some fiddling it started to load and went to the first time user setup and asked to download gecko and froze (restarted and skipped) and it got into windows. No mouse controls made it difficult to use and I attempted to see if I could get the integration cd to work but when I ran the setup.exe it failed / crashed.
>To sum up: ROS needs support for mouse in hyper-v to be useful

-I then tried to install ROS on a usb stick which all the normal tools to install win on usb didn't work right (win7 install tool, win2usb) and I found a document saying that Rufus worked to make a bootable usb and that worked nicely. I plugged it into my laptop and "Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system" and after a few times trying to fiddle with that I tried a second latptop which booted properly.
It got to the "Loading Reactos" screen and stuck there. I pushed a button and it gives me the error "Can't load boot driver" system32~ ~ ~*numerous files* then reboots.
>Ros is still having issues installing from USB

I am interested in doing more testing if anyone can help me get past any of these issues.
menuhin

Re: ReactOS install

Post by menuhin »

1. I would take Virtaulbox as Emulator.

2. USB Boot is not Supported doesn't work you need a CDROM.
reactosfan34

Post by reactosfan34 »

I agree with the above post. I've used VirtualBox with ReactOS. Not to say that Hyper-V can or can't work. It's just that VirtualBox is more commonly used in the ReactOS community and you will find more documentation and help. Also USB booting is basically a no go currently. CD/DVD drives will work. They just can't be USB CD/DVD drives. That would still require some parts of USB which are still being worked on.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Not to mention virtual box is open-source and if ReactOS is a FOSS project, then anything and everything it runs on should also be open-source, too (or maybe it's just me that thinks like that, haha).
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Update:

-I installed 73096 on VBox and set the image to have 2048 mb of ram but when i got to the logo it stuck and refused to go any further. I downloaded the most up-to-date nightly 73108 and it still failed. Lowered the ram to 512 and it booted into windows okay. I skipped Gecko and went to download a web browser when it wouldn't find anything. After a while of trying to fiddle with the network in vbox and event created an ISO of the driver it said it was ( ven_8086&Dev_100E&subsys_001e8086 ), I gave up.

-I would also like to point out that after lowering to 512 it stopped working a few times and would randomly choose to boot or not.

-I downloaded the live CD 73109 and tried with VBox to get on the internet with that. I noticed that the program downloader was gone and the network driver was still not functioning properly. While hovering over the documents in the start menu I got a crash "The instructions at "0x7b23b72a" reference memory at "0x000000001" the memory could not be "read"" and that ended my journey into the livecd.

I remember being able to use a web browser in the past so i don't know if this is just a blocker bug that was submitted due to fixing stuff but currently I can't get any net features working.
milon

Post by milon »

For networking in VirtualBox, you need to have installed the VirtualBox networking driver during Oracle VirtualBox setup. If you didn't, then you won't have networking at all.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why you're having such rotten luck with VBox. How exactly did you configure the virtual machine? FYI, it's recommended to tell VBox it's a WinXP machine (so it chooses mostly correct config options). I often set RAM to 512MB as well (I think the WinXP default is 256MB).
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

I did install the host network adapter, set the OS to xp, set ram to 512 and the netwrok connection inside vbox to bridged - ethernet.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

milon wrote:FYI, it's recommended to tell VBox it's a WinXP machine (so it chooses mostly correct config options).
Actually, you are suppose to set it to Windows Server 2003, as that is what ReactOS focus is on.
Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Maybe someone should talk to the devs in Virual Box and ask them to setup a ReactOS setting?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Murmur wrote:Maybe someone should talk to the devs in Virual Box and ask them to setup a ReactOS setting?
There is a ticket in their bug tracker requesting this feature but no way ;)
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Actually, you are suppose to set it to Windows Server 2003, as that is what ReactOS focus is on.
Kernel: 5.2 Userland:XP/2003 SKUs
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

erkinalp wrote:
Kernel: 5.2 Userland:XP/2003 SKUs
Still he is right because only XP 64 Bit is 5.2 like 2003
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Some parts of kernel are not licensed to be used in WinXP. ReactOS does not have this restriction.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2