61 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
karlexceed
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by karlexceed »

From https://reactos.org/wiki/File_Systems:
ReactOS uses file system drivers just as Microsoft® Windows® NT does. For that reason it implements the IFS-interface which stands for Installable File System.
So, is IFS a file system? No, not in this context. But it is a file system interface. And given the context of #33, a reasonable person could assume that they simply mean it supports IFS drivers.

But also, IFS is a file system (a few, in fact):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFS#Computer_Science

User avatar
dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'll re-word it.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

anthracen
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by anthracen »

karlexceed wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:14 pm
From https://reactos.org/wiki/File_Systems:
ReactOS uses file system drivers just as Microsoft® Windows® NT does. For that reason it implements the IFS-interface which stands for Installable File System.
So, is IFS a file system? No, not in this context. But it is a file system interface. And given the context of #33, a reasonable person could assume that they simply mean it supports IFS drivers.
let's not assume of what every "reasonable person" could assume and be talking for ourselves. how is that for you?
For exmaple, for me it "simply" meant that the dude has no idea of what IFS is and thinks it's yet another FS, so that he listed it among other FS (they all are IFS in that context). it's not a big deal, per se, it becomes such when combining it with the fact, that before he was bragging as a frigging expert and made strong statements about the work of others. giantic work indeed. the work in the field he apparently has no knowledge to judge anything. I found funny to point this. that's all.
But also, IFS is a file system (a few, in fact):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFS#Computer_Science
yeah. now it makes it look better.

User avatar
dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It was added as a suggestion by others - as I said I will re-word it.

Anthracen you are close to becoming a permanent troll, carry on and I will report you.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

Ancient
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by Ancient »

I'll try;

1) It's not Microsoft.
2) Spying on users isn't part of the design.
3) Open source means many eyes can see what goes into RoS.
4) Smaller operating system with smaller footprint.
5) Development well documented and open, likely mitigating against a legal shutdown.
6) Full compile and build of RoS is possible on a single machine.
7) Can be forked as needed / desired.
8) It's very Windows like.
9) In some ways more evolved than OS 2, it has a registry sorta.
10) No cheating for Microsoft and friends with hidden API's.

....

O.K. that's where the easy stuff ends. Maybe over time another 10 or 15 will come to mind. 50 would be a stretch, but not impossible.

User avatar
dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Ancient wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 am
I'll try;

1) It's not Microsoft.
2) Spying on users isn't part of the design.
3) Open source means many eyes can see what goes into RoS.
4) Smaller operating system with smaller footprint.
5) Development well documented and open, likely mitigating against a legal shutdown.
6) Full compile and build of RoS is possible on a single machine.
7) Can be forked as needed / desired.
8) It's very Windows like.
9) In some ways more evolved than OS 2, it has a registry sorta.
10) No cheating for Microsoft and friends with hidden API's.
That's good Ancient, I'll take number 10 and add it to the original list. I think we have most of the others already in one form or another. Keep adding to your list, it will be an interesting read...

With regard to
6) Full compile and build of RoS is possible on a single machine.
Can you explain why that is a boon for ReactOS in comparison to any o/s that we might build? (bearing in mind we cannot build windows)
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

Ancient
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by Ancient »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Can you explain why that is a boon for ReactOS in comparison to any o/s that we might build? (bearing in mind we cannot build windows)
This means anyone can easily test concerns about the validity of the binary. It means alternate code to solve issues can be developed by almost anyone who runs the system. A dual boot with a production and development ROS not in a VM but on a real machine will be possible to any interested user. Bug fixes will come faster as will development.

anthracen
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by anthracen »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 pm
Anthracen you are close to becoming a permanent troll, carry on and I will report you.
May I remind you that pointing to your incompetence blatantly combined with your desire to look something professional, is in no way a forum rules violation? ;)

User avatar
dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Ancient wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 am

10) No cheating for Microsoft and friends with hidden API's.
50. No hidden and undocumented APIs that only Microsoft and its partners can take advantage of.

Added. Thankyou Ancient.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

User avatar
EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4425
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by EmuandCo »

@anthracen I ignored your useless trolling crap posts long enough now. If you have nothing useful to say then SHUT THE F*CK UP! Last warning before I am the one making you stfu forever in here!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Kazama
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by Kazama »

EmuandCo wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm
@anthracen I ignored your useless trolling crap posts long enough now. If you have nothing useful to say then SHUT THE F*CK UP! Last warning before I am the one making you stfu forever in here!
Troll or not, is this the attitude staff should have against any member here? If so, remind me not to take part in this community again.
I suggest taking this off the public view and continue on privately, in a more professional manner.

User avatar
mrmajik45
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 am
Location: USA, Indiana
Contact:

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by mrmajik45 »

Who said we were professional?
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC

User avatar
dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Kazama wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:25 pm
EmuandCo wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm
@anthracen I ignored your useless trolling crap posts long enough now. If you have nothing useful to say then SHUT THE F*CK UP! Last warning before I am the one making you stfu forever in here!
Troll or not, is this the attitude staff should have against any member here? If so, remind me not to take part in this community again.
I suggest taking this off the public view and continue on privately, in a more professional manner.
We know where we are with emuandco, his job is to wield banhammer, express what we merely feel to the trolls, spammers and the like. I am happy with his methods and I have been on the receiving end too - on occasion.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

User avatar
EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4425
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by EmuandCo »

@Kazama I am part of the community, not THE community. So if my ways are what make you consider to go, maybe you are doing the right thing by leaving. If you have problems with my way to handle SPAMbots, trolls and other unwanted subjects, you are free to complain about me btw, we have tons of other mods and the admins, too.
Additionally you are free to think about my ways, too. Be a moderator of a bigger forum for a while and you will realize there is only one way to survive, 0-tolerance! Go and delete 20-30 spam bots and twice the threads/posts on daily base, go and read the insults some ppl fire against others because they have no skills to argue and thus only can swear without any benefit in their posts for anyone. Go and realize that some subjects come by just to link our project with some illegal sources of MS copyrighted code leaks. Go and realize that 90% of the newcomers are no human beings behind and even the posts of these... THINGS you can keep alive have to be removed after a few days when the edit feature is abused to bomb the forums with SPAM. Go and realize that even all posts surviving the first week are abused as SPAM by signature editing. 10% are left if not less.
After you realized all that THEN you can come by and say I am an idiot and THEN maybe I will consider your argument as valid. Otherwise you have to complain about me to other mods/admins and not by thread hijacking for your complaints!

Ah and btw. I would welcome to get BACK TO TOPIC!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

User avatar
dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'd make you a cup of tea Emuandco. That'd help.

Working on re-wording the IFS entry on my list.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Trendiction [Bot] and 2 guests