67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

irony

Re: 60 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by irony »

This is a perfect dialog above, showing it all. One person, point by point, with objective counterarguments coming along with him, outlines untrue or unuseful character of many parts of the glorious list. another person in defense has nothing to say except repeating mantras about opponent having "problems", "not getting it", blaming opponent in serving satan etc. :D
1: here you say "this", but it's not true (proves come).
2: you don't get it, your problem is you protect MS intentions, the points of my brilliant list are still valid, no matter your proves, I ignore them, because I know it better, I am know-it-all, you are stinky... most are with me, my list is a brilliant part of the whole project.......... *keeps talking nonsense*

:D things are changing over here, usb is getting supported, but one thing remain the same - d1zt3mp3r keeps barking on everybody, who is trying to bring a little bit of common sense over this list - the need of which by itself is one of the biggest mysteries of the Universe. :D
anyway, thanks to ROCKNROLLKID for the balanced and thorough analysis. Once I had a gaffe to get into argument with this dude with his list. since he is treated here kinda speshul, I got into troubles and promised to not get into it anymore. But couldn't resist myself to not note about this epic thing - the dude literally cannot take criticism and the same time keeps generating BS.
Most seem to agree that they are entirely valid.
Most seem to not care about this silly list, having nothing to do with the truth but moreover - serving zero value for ReactOS.

d1zt3mp3r, you attack everyone who tries to point out BS in your toy. I think eventually people will learn, that it's better for everybody to just ignore this topic and let you play with it alone, writing any nonsense you want. Maybe you should put an appropriate warning banner in the beginning of the thread. Something like those warnings about angry dogs in the house. :mrgreen:
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Relax, I am not attacking anyone. In actual fact, I think you just attacked me.

The list is valid, no changes required.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I was asked to handle this here before ppl start to throw spikey things at each other. OK...
@irony I have no problem with valid criticism, but it has to stay in a way ppl can still see as valid. Getting over the top is difficult. And getting off topic is no way for that too. If you have problems, PM a mod next time and we can try to handle it. We don't need any public outrage in here.

@dizt3mp3r He was a bit close to say too much, but looking ONLY at your posts in a row makes me wonder if he at least is a bit right here. Try yourself ^^ Cool down, man. Stay on a moderate level with critics and we all have no problem. Of course some ppl can't handle criticism at all, these will be handled by us in worst case then. PM me if conflicts arise and I don't see it thx to the amount of spam I remove daily ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

My English is straightforward and always precise. It is very 'English'.

If it comes over in any way other than that then forgive me. As I said in an earlier post, I think others ascribe a tone to my posts that is not there. Perhaps it is because I write in an 'English' manner. I simply say it like it is and I suppose I may not leave any room for the other's feelings.

I don't tend to think about others' sentiments when I post and don't expect them to do the same about my own. I spend very little time on this thread, posting here once every few months and I invest very little emotion in it. I expect others to do the same but I seem to be wrong in that I need to cater for other's feelings. When it comes to computers and lists of expected functionality I find it hard to do so and the relevance of doing so has probably escaped me when posting so the tone may not seem friendly.

However, I will TRY to cater for those emotions and add some friendly ones of my own but realise they will be manufactured rather than real - but for the sake of the tone I will do so.

However, for the moment, I don't think there is any change needed to the list - and here is a smiley to soften the message. :D
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

See? Works fine ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Re: 61 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

61: ReactOS development helps other projects, notably WINE, ReactOS being a major contributor to Wine's code base.
sl23

Re: 61 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by sl23 »

I gotta say, I'm wondering why too. But though there are many reasons, my main problem is the time it is taking to achieve this goal. Two decades is a long time! Look at what's been achieved at Microsoft in those two decades! As shite as they are, at least they are getting stuff done.

From what I can see it's a funding issue here. Not that I know much about it tbh. But I have watched this project with anticipation since around 2008/9. I would love to give Windows the boot and use ReactOS for nothing more than the freeing up of system resources. Although I recently had a PC die on me that I am pretty sure was an MS Update issue, so that's another reason for me personally.

I can't understand why they don't charge a small amount for this instead of making it open source. Few people donate. A small fee of £5 or £10 would mean everyone can afford it and the team are getting funding. But I suppose it's a chicken and egg situation at the moment.

Hopefully ROS will be out before I die! :lol: :lol: :lol:
leppy232

Re: 63 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by leppy232 »

It's an OS that has all the advantages of FOSS and lacks the otherwise omnipresent issue afflicting all FOSS OSes of godawful drivers.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

leppy232 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:25 am It's an OS that has all the advantages of FOSS and lacks the otherwise omnipresent issue afflicting all FOSS OSes of godawful drivers.
Give examples leppy please.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

62. ReactOS will not arbitrarily boot in 5 minutes after performing an administrative task such as resetting network drivers.
63. ReactOS will not arbitrarily boot after performing a Windows update.
leppy232

Post by leppy232 »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:37 pm
leppy232 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:25 am It's an OS that has all the advantages of FOSS and lacks the otherwise omnipresent issue afflicting all FOSS OSes of godawful drivers.
Give examples leppy please.
So I'm running Haiku R1/beta2 right now while ROS is in alpha, using FreeBSD drivers, and the drivers are for 16 year old desktops with token laptop stuff. There are no video drivers for anything newer than Intel Extreme, the wireless driver crashes every couple of minutes, and there's no support for phones or cameras. When I was on linux, I spent like eight hours trying to get a twelve year old video card installed, especially without internet. The problem is that most people don't like writing drivers, but if you can just use Windows drivers, you're in business.
Currently using: 0.4.15-x86-dev-4872-g8a3db97 (VirtualBox)
Pretty good so far, keep up the good work! :D
Formerly tested on: Dell Inspiron 2200, HP Pavilion p7-1155, want to test on: Dell Inspiron 8500, custom-build ROS machine (P4 2.8GHz, GF6800 Ultra)
dizt3mp3r

Re: 64 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I had the same experience with an HP Pavilion laptop that eventually became useless as Linux distros stopped supporting its video hardware, the device driver had no attention for so long that it had started to rot and wither on the vine. I was left with writing my own driver or just continue to use an increasingly out of date version of Slax or Mint. The wireless driver had similar issues and took a lot of tweaking to make it stable - it was never quite 'right'. Like ReactOS, Linux needs to have a dedicated, well tested and well-supported hardware combination that works. If you use anything more esoteric then you will have problems as a laptop user.

Another good ReactOS reason from CodeProject:

65. ReactOS will not have scrollbars that are invisible until you find them...
kumarkuldeep6

Re: 65 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by kumarkuldeep6 »

I suppose this would need to be re-worded. We can't guarantee no backdoors but the code is open for peer review which should reduce the possibility of back doors. I suppose it should/could also result in quicker fixes?
Last edited by kumarkuldeep6 on Thu May 20, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Re: 65 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

kumarkuldeep6 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 pm I suppose this would need to be re-worded. We can't guarantee no backdoors but the code is open for peer review which should reduce the possibility of back doors. I suppose it should/could also result in quicker fixes?
I think we have this one, number 32.

viewtopic.php?p=123529#p123529
dizt3mp3r

Re: 66 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

66. Provides a Windows-like demonstration environment that is freely available for installation on any PC.

See the full list here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868