67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wdstudios

Re: 52 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by wdstudios »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pmI presume you mean being able to download to the root of a hard drive, can you explain why this is such an important thing for you? You can of course already copy files to the root. With regard to downloads I have always created a specific folder for downloads and placed everything there.
It's important to me because (a) having to use a specially designated folder is annoying, and (b) we should be treated like adults and like the owners of our own computers.
dizt3mp3r wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pmI don't think ReactOS will support animated wallpapers by default, do you mean just GIFs or animated PNGs?, I wouldn't imagine it is one of the dev's aims if it is new functionality. There are tools such as rainWallpaper that already adds that. It might work on ReactOS. If it is old functionality you want replicated then I'll add it to the list.
(a) yes, of course I'm talking about animated gifs and Mjpegs. Files of that nature were the only ones that you could set as animated wallpapers in XP. (b) I've tried those third-party programs and none of them work worth a damn. (c) yes, it's old functionality.
dizt3mp3r wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pmI forget as to whether this functionality was present in 2003? It certainly is with Win 7.
Wrong. Win7 will replace standard arrange-by options with useless ones (artist, album) if it detects certain file types in a directory.
dizt3mp3r wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pmI won't add this unless you can clarify a specific issue where this still occurs even when you've asked it not to.
I shouldn't NEED to ask it not to.
dizt3mp3r wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pmI think this is more of a request so I won't add it unless it is restoring older functionality lost, is that the case?
Of course it's older functionality. Did you even use XP, bro?
wdstudios

Re: 58 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by wdstudios »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 pm 54. ReactOS being compatible with Windows 2003 will hopefully implement facilities that were present in 2003 and subsequently removed in NT6. Specifically within Explorer, a fully functioning "open with" menu option that remembers all possible associated and useful programs, the ability to display animated images on the active desktop and control and consistency over how audio and associated filetypes are displayed and ordered
Not trying to be a thorn in your ass here, but two of those features were last seen in 32-bit XP, and absent from Server 2003.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No, you are not a thorn in my side in any way whatsoever. That was an addition suggested by a member here.
I think we'll leave the list as it is at the moment.

WD - I think you may have a problem interpreting the tone in other's comments/questions. You seem to be ascribing your own attitude to others and it comes out in the tone of your replies. Friendly advice - When you 'bro someone that is definitely not your brother, they may not feel well disposed to listening to anything you have said.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Maylor Rom

Post by Maylor Rom »

As an open source OS, what would happen if someone uses portions of MS copyrighted code and submits it to you for inclusion in this OS?

If someone does this, MS will claim patent infringment or even piracy of their software?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Already happened in the past by people who tried to directly harm our project as some kind of perverted hobby or something like that. That's what we want names and contact information for. If people claim to own code they don't and even relicense it + remove any hint that it was leaked code not allowed to use anywhere (especially GPLed projects) they are the ones having problems and not we as their name will be in the headers. We remove the code and pass all information we have about the person to the judiciary. And no, that far we never had to go till now. The cases I know of were way too obvious to be included at all. We removed the Jira reports, forum entries and perma banned the persons.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Upload filters will help solve that issue.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Maylor Rom wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:16 am As an open source OS, what would happen if someone uses portions of MS copyrighted code and submits it to you for inclusion in this OS?

If someone does this, MS will claim patent infringment or even piracy of their software?
This comment has nothing to do with this thread so please, in future, post your off-topic comment on a new thread. Emuandco, thanks for answering it so promptly.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

59. ReactOS will never disable local accounts forcing you to sign up and give Microsoft your details in order to access to the o/s.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shunesburg

60. Specific reasons for wanting ReactOS

Post by shunesburg »

60. The System doesn't install software against your will (Candy Cruch, OneDrive...)
dizt3mp3r

Re: 59 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I do have 28. No metro apps bundled by default that consume more resources than needed -

but I think that deserves its own mention. I'll add that too.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: 60 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

1. Safe browsing in a virtual ReactOS sandbox (Firefox)

Windows 10 now has a Sandbox so this isn't really a difference anymore.

9. A platform that I can build into any x86/AMD64 computer by default.

What does this even mean? I have had many systems with Windows and never had any issues with x86/AMD64.

12. All/most older/current 32bit Windows apps should just function.
13. All/most older/current 32bit Windows drivers should just function.

I don't know but I have been using Win7/10 for many years and never had any issues with 32-bit software. Could you list some software that doesn't work because I feel like it has more to do with the way the software works and not it being 32-bit.

27. Bug fixing - ReactOS is open source. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and bugs are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.

This is the same as what you said in 15. Also, just because it is open-source does not mean bugs will be fixed and not ignored. MS has had hundreds (maybe thousands?) working on Windows, ReactOS doesn't even have a fraction of that, yet.

31. Ability to compile the source code and know how an NT compatible system actually works, or at the very least, get an idea of how it works.

Couldn't you just say this in 15? You are saying basically the samething you just put it in different words.

41. Fast installation times - sub 10 mins.

Installation for Win7/Win10 for me takes 10-15 mins, too. Also, this is the same as what you said in 25, again in just different words.

47. Freedom from forced hardware obsolescence by design, MS making useful hardware obsolete by dropping support for existing drivers - see 20.

AMD/Intel/Nvidia/etc decide what drivers go where, not MS.

49. Freedom from deliberately poor design choices such as the premature opening of the desktop well before the rest of the o/s is actually ready to operate.

This is related to fast boot and can be disabled. There's even a registry tweak you can do to prevent this.

52. ReactOS won't prevent you from installing your software the way you prefer, will never force you to use the ReactOS appstore under some Unified ReactOS Framework as Microsoft ultimately intends to do restricting you to UWP apps only, forbidding Win32 apps altogether.

My Win10 doesn't do this, either.

55. ReactOS being compatible with Windows 2003 will implement a non-indexed search facility that includes date ranges, sub-folders &c that also highlights what folder is currently being searched.

So does Win10. In fact, ReactOS *should* implement a indexed search.

57. ReactOS being compatible with Windows 2003 will return the ability to adjust sound output to mono/stereo, allow adjustment of volume per speaker/channel and restore sound broadcast to multiple end points.

So does Win10.

Just some changes. Don't take it too personal.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Nothing taken personally, none of your suggestions changes a thing. I don't think you really quite 'get it'.

The only one I might change is number 57 if that is proven to be so. This functionality was removed in Vista and as far as I know has never been returned. Nothing changes, these are all still valid.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am 27. Bug fixing - ReactOS is open source. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and bugs are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.

Also, just because it is open-source does not mean bugs will be fixed and not ignored. MS has had hundreds (maybe thousands?) working on Windows, ReactOS doesn't even have a fraction of that, yet.
Mind looking at the tech news? Windows 10's updates are a bugfest.
ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am 52. ReactOS won't prevent you from installing your software the way you prefer, will never force you to use the ReactOS appstore under some Unified ReactOS Framework as Microsoft ultimately intends to do restricting you to UWP apps only, forbidding Win32 apps altogether.

Some editions of Windows 10 don't allow the use of programs that aren't from the Windows 10 store. As described before, check the tech news.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:18 pm Nothing taken personally, none of your suggestions changes a thing. I don't think you really quite 'get it'.

The only one I might change is number 57 if that is proven to be so. This functionality was removed in Vista and as far as I know has never been returned. Nothing changes, these are all still valid.
Well I don't know about Vista, but on Win7/Win10 you have always been able to adjust volume per speaker and mono/stereo by going into control panel and Sound. In the advanced tab you will see quality adjustment and there should be also a way to change from mono to stereo, as well.
mrmajik45 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:25 pm
ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am 27. Bug fixing - ReactOS is open source. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and bugs are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.

Also, just because it is open-source does not mean bugs will be fixed and not ignored. MS has had hundreds (maybe thousands?) working on Windows, ReactOS doesn't even have a fraction of that, yet.
Mind looking at the tech news? Windows 10's updates are a bugfest.
ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am 52. ReactOS won't prevent you from installing your software the way you prefer, will never force you to use the ReactOS appstore under some Unified ReactOS Framework as Microsoft ultimately intends to do restricting you to UWP apps only, forbidding Win32 apps altogether.

Some editions of Windows 10 don't allow the use of programs that aren't from the Windows 10 store. As described before, check the tech news.
Yes I know that Win10 has had bad updates, but most of them get fixed right away and are usually only in the insider edition or preview release where bugs are expected. My point is, in a numbers game MS has ReactOS beat and I don't see that changing unless the ReactOS team can get into some major funding to afford thousands of developers. Also, I can list quite a few bugs that haven't been fixed for many years in ReactOS. Many people can say those have been "buried and ignored".

About the Win10 editions, yes MS created Windows 10 S that is only able to run Store apps, but they made that a choice. I have never seen evidence in all my time using Win10 since it's release that MS is suddenly pushing store to all their editions.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think your problem is that you are defending Microsoft's intentions for Windows. Whereas we know what Microsoft's intentions are as you really don't need to be a soothsayer to divine those. ReactOS by its very name is a reaction to those intentions.

Creating an open source operating system for the sixty or so reasons listed above? Each is still quite valid and from my point of view they are my hopes for ReactOS and they largely apply to any other open source alternative o/s. Most seem to agree that they are entirely valid.