67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: 57 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by PurpleGurl »

Actually, I prefer your list, since my version requires some duplication due to trying to nail things down into categories.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well, I'll keep it going here and help you maintain the other too.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have made a minor correction suggestion in Talk
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thanks. I was changing the style as I separated things out, and that was a spot I missed.
oldman

Post by oldman »

What about a bullet point to each reason on the page Reasons for ReactOS? And a link from the front page of the wiki to the page.

There are other pages on the wiki that have no link to them and are basically lost within the wiki, these also need a link from the front page.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Good suggestion.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
justincase

Post by justincase »

oldman wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:08 amThere are other pages on the wiki that have no link to them and are basically lost within the wiki, these also need a link from the front page.
Not every page on the wiki should be linked from the front page. There should be a hierarchy of pages, with pages at the highest level being reachable from the front page, and all other pages being linked to by these pages, or their descendents, depending on their importance, and relation to each other.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

On lost pages... all you have to do is Special Pages: Orphan Pages, and then make a reference to them in a relevant article or at least give it a category.

If you want a link from the front page, it should go on a page that is linked to the front page. I mean, if there is an information page about ReactOS, then links to any introductory type articles and justifications for ROS should go there.

For further discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18272
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Let's move it to its own thread please...
dizt3mp3r

Re: 58 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Related to 52.
58. ReactOS won't nag at you when installing your software the way you prefer, will not state "this software is not certified to run Windows, would you prefer to try again from the Windows store?" or some other nag screen designed to stop you from doing it the Microsoft way.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Why 58? Just noticed that Win10 is coming up with a nag screen when I have installed the first of my many default applications. MS is definitely starting to move to a single store approach and soon you won't be able to install a win32 application.

I keep hoping that MS will amend its ways and revert to being a more open architecture but it is definitely going the other way.

I keep hoping for Microsoft however now I pray for ReactOS.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Windows store accepts Win32 apps too. You just need to package them correctly using the new AppX packager.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

erkinalp wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:47 pm Windows store accepts Win32 apps too. You just need to package them correctly using the new AppX packager.
We all know that already I hope. It is the fact that MS dares to suggest you may not be able to install anything but UWP apps in the future and then only from the Windows store that is the problem. There is already a new option in Win10 being provided "allowing the user to prevent installation of Win32 apps".

The only reason Win32 apps have this temporary period of grace is due to the lack of developers flocking to the new UWP framework and Win32 apps persisting (along with other traditional frameworks). If UWP grows enough and becomes the de facto standard then WIN32 will fall from favour, they won't be allowed in the store and ReactOS will become the home of Win32.

I like that, "ReactOS - the natural home for Win32".
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

"ReactOS - Play Steam games you own after Steam is not usable on windows 10 due to not being a UWP app."
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

mrmajik45 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:29 pm "ReactOS - Play Steam games you own after Steam is not usable on windows 10 due to not being a UWP app."
There is that...

I was told that due to UWP's acceptance by devs being so very low that it is very unlikely that win32-style apps will ever be dropped. However, the fear of that ever occurring should mean that ReactOS might eventually be the natural home even for Steam.