67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: 60th specific reason for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

erkinalp wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:05 am 58. ReactOS will not suddenly deactivate like Windows does just because it missed a phone home.
59. Atom looks cooler than flat-design windows.
60. Unlike Microsoft, ReactOS team will not have to reverse engineer Linux to implement WSL-like functionality. Instead, they will be able to use Linux source code directly.
Expound 58 and 60 please so we have the full information before I add them.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
erkinalp

60 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS

Post by erkinalp »

58: There is a famous incident happened to Windows activation servers. As usual, Windows 10 system software phoned home to ask whether the software is genuine or counterfeit and assumed counterfeit as he got no reply.
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows- ... ted-status
60: Simple license compatibility issue. We can directly link NTOSKRNL and user-mode Linux together with a simple translator as both Linux and ReactOS are under GPL2. No need to reverse engineer Linux system calls.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
learn_more
Developer

Re: 60th specific reason for wanting ReactOS:

Post by learn_more »

erkinalp wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:05 am 58. ReactOS will not suddenly deactivate like Windows does just because it missed a phone home.
59. Atom looks cooler than flat-design windows.
60. Unlike Microsoft, ReactOS team will not have to reverse engineer Linux to implement WSL-like functionality. Instead, they will be able to use Linux source code directly.
60 does not make any sense?
erkinalp

Re: 60 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by erkinalp »

It does to me. It is related to ENIW. Do you not want ENIW (backwards Wine) implemented on ReactOS?
ENIW would bring you an additional userland. UROP(Unified ReactOS Platform) would be the third.
dizt3mp3r

Re: 57 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

58. Already largely mentioned in the list, I will adapt one of the existing entries to incorporate.

59. Explain, expound please without using a subjective term such as 'cool' which in my mind, means less than warm. If something is better it needs to be proven using something called a fact.

60. Needs a thorough explanation so we don't have to do any research ourselves. Straight-forward easy language please as if from/for a layman.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
erkinalp

Re: 60 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS

Post by erkinalp »

59. You are expecting me to explain a statement on artistic impression of logo in objective facts.

60. Windows is proprietary and Linux is under GPL2. To avoid potential intellectual property issues, Microsoft staff had to reverse engineer Linux system calls to implement WSL. We will not have to reverse engineer, because we can call GPL2 code from GPL2 code without legal issues. We will need to spend fraction of the effort that Microsoft spent to implement WSL. ENIW will be superior to WSL with less effort. Two userlands in one operating systems (Win32, Linux)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

erkinalp wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:01 pm 59. You are expecting me to explain a statement on artistic impression of logo in objective facts.]
No, I am giving you the reason why I won't include it. ;) I may have been too subtle.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

erkinalp wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:01 pm 60. Windows is proprietary and Linux is under GPL2. To avoid potential intellectual property issues, Microsoft staff had to reverse engineer Linux system calls to implement WSL. We will not have to reverse engineer, because we can call GPL2 code from GPL2 code without legal issues. We will need to spend fraction of the effort that Microsoft spent to implement WSL. ENIW will be superior to WSL with less effort. Two userlands in one operating systems (Win32, Linux)
I'll find an easier description and see if it will then fit the list.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Why would we use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) at all? From what I read in searches, and I could be wrong, that is installed in Linux to add certain Win32 calls to Linux. We are not Linux, and we don't need to provide WSL because Microsoft already has, and Linux users is the audience. WSL is of no consequence to us if my understanding is correct.
johnkeo

Post by johnkeo »

This is really a superb list of letting the unknown users the use of reactos
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

WSL adds Linux userland to Windows NT kernel. It is an OS personality like Win32.
ENIW would double our userbase.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

35. Modified.

No need ever to call Microsoft to re-enable software I have already purchased. ReactOS will never call home to check whether your licence is valid.

51. - Also covers your complaint about Windows phoning home
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'm not going to add the use of GPL code as a benefit in the context of the WSL-like functionality. It is not clear to me that the ReactOS developers will ever add this functionality. Secondly, as the whole concept of ReactOS is built upon the creation and re-use of open-source code it does not make a lot of sense to re-state this as a particular benefit. I may modify an existing entry to be more clear on open source code and its benefits.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I hope nobody minds that I created a loose version of this in paragraph and section format:

https://reactos.org/wiki/Reasons_for_ReactOS

With some polishing, it could be of use to end users who wonder why we want ReactOS.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No, that's lovely, well done - I'll keep this for a while longer and then perhaps migrate myself across.