ReactOS on the Notebook

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Megaman DP

ReactOS on the Notebook

Post by Megaman DP »

Hello.
This Windows XP home stuff on my Notebook is starting to create fealings like "anger". I think you know what i mean. Well, it may be the right time to try out ReactOS.
So i have some Questions. I allready changed the Filesystem to FAT32. I also got me an PS2 Mouse. But i fear, not only the Touchpad, also the Keybard is connected via USB. I know, that USB is in Developement, but are there any current versions, that provide an USB Support, just enough for a Keyboard? I dont expect my Cardreader or external HD to be running, but a Keyboard mght be possible. What abaout LAN? Well LAN isn't that important, i am just too lazy to burn some stuff in CD.
The Notebook is an AMD Mobile Athlon 2600+ with a VIA Mainbard, 60GB standard HD and 512MB RAM AND (this is a fine one:) an ATI Radeon Mobility 9600.
And what about some Energysaving Features. Can I use the AMD PowerNow! (which is another name for Cool'n'Quiet) Feature, just with installing the AMD CPU drivers? And can i Use the PowerPlay Feature from the Graphic Card just by installing the ATI Drivers?

Shall I try, or shall i give up until the right version comes out?
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few versions before being able to use ReactOS as the main OS, it's still in alpha state for the moment ;)
Megaman DP

Post by Megaman DP »

Well i own Windows XP home, i never intended to use ReactOS as a primary OS, i just want to see, if its working and if some Programs are working which I need.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

Then, yes, you can try to have it working, but you'd better back up your hdd before doing anything ;)
As far as I know, USB is partly supported, but not in the installation, so you'll need a PS2 keyboard & mouse (maybe the notebook keyboard is supported, i don't know).
Anyway, if you've backed up your hard drive, you can give it a go, to see, I would love myself to try ROS on real hardware, but as I only have a USB keyboard & mouse at home, I can't even try...
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

GaeTaN wrote:Then, yes, you can try to have it working, but you'd better back up your hdd before doing anything ;)
No need to back your hard drive up. You will need to create a seperate Fat32 partition and install ReactOS on there. ReactOS won't touch your NTFS XP dirve.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

Yes, but I was thinking of the boot loader, that could mess up things, no ?
Well, in fact I don't really know, but I would back up myself even if there's no risk ;)
Megaman DP

Post by Megaman DP »

Since I have more than one Computers an since I allready have backuped everything ist save for me to play.
The Problem is, my Notebook has only one PS2 Port. So I can either have a mouse or a Keyboard. Thats my Problem. Can it be solved with any not officially released Version?
Whats this: http://svn.reactos.org/iso/ :?:
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

SVN are the latest builts, I think ;)
I guess the best you can do is burn the installation CD, and try the installation first without installing :wink: You'll see by the first screens if the keyboard works or not, and if it works, you should follow the installation, as maybe the usb will work when it will be installed ;)
So, first try the installation with nothing plugged (only with the laptop keyboard), if it doesn't work (when it ask you to press a key if it doesn't answer), try with a ps2 keyboard, it should work, and after you'll see if the usb stuff work when installed :)
dr_asfak

Post by dr_asfak »

I have so far installed and upgraded Reactos 0.2.8, 0.2.9, and SVN 20946 and had no major problems. Yes USB mouse did not work. I used Fat32 partition of Windows XP already being used. (no need for new partition....during installation said, "could not check current file system"..I skipped that and installed bootloader. Now when the system starts..it starts with option of running XP (default) and Reactos with 30 sec to wait. Fine no problem. USB mouse does not run...keyboard, touchpad are running fine. All partition detected. Even wallpaper remains permanent in latest SVN. I have not tried networking. My laptop is HP M2202 TU with Celeron 1.3, Intel 915gl chipset
Megaman DP

Post by Megaman DP »

Do you know, if your fine working Keyboard is connected via USB? If yes I might try the "SVN 20946". Or are there other SVNs from people, who work on the USB support and might support my Keyboard?