Partnership with DriverPack

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurflorin

Partnership with DriverPack

Post by laurflorin »

Hello all.

I would like to know if the people that are in charge of this wonderful project have ever considered this:
When reactos is stable enough, would it support all plug and play devices ?
Would a possible to form a partnership with driverpack help you achieve this? and... is this possible first of all?

Thank you.
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Partnership with DriverPack

Post by EmuandCo »

Anything is possible. I thought about the same with Snappy Driver Installer aka SDI, but as you said, not yet ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Ashert

Post by Ashert »

The success of Linux Mint's (see DistroWatch 1st place) was based on the introduction of proprietary drivers, unlike Ubuntu.

Maybe also a fork from ReactOS would help. We could call it ReactOS-Out of the box, not for virtual machines? :roll:

The Snappy Driver Installer itself is open source.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Lets not bundle closed source stuff in ReactOS. I don't want this to turn into ZorinOS or something like that.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

No panic mode man, I am VERY sure "noone plans to build a wall" ^^ jkjk, naah noone will bundle 15 GB of drivers with ROS.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Ashert

Post by Ashert »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Lets not bundle closed source stuff in ReactOS. I don't want this to turn into ZorinOS or something like that.
Even the largest Linux distributions with millions of dollars have not the buget for the development of all drivers.

ReactOS is ultimately dead If we reject standard working windows drivers. We wanted a real Windows alternative and not the one millionth Linux Fork based on WIne and only free drivers (for the runtime mode only in the Oracle Virtualbox)

Free ReactOS!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No-one is rejecting drivers, ReactOS will work with them as Windows does. ReactOS is open source and obviously will not be bundled with closed and proprietary code. You will always be free to build a distro with them yourself.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Ashert

Post by Ashert »

dizt3mp3r wrote:No-one is rejecting drivers, ReactOS will work with them as Windows does. ReactOS is open source and obviously will not be bundled with closed and proprietary code. You will always be free to build a distro with them yourself.
This is the Linux caries concept:

[ external image ]

but I'm not a Linux Alien who lives for the console and compile everything by myself or my grandmother.

You will never reach the 5 billion Windows users in the world without Usability.
The final integration of Windows drivers is vital to the progress of ReactOS!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

That diagram nor your words will in any way change the answer.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Even if ReactOS does add these drivers, it still won't beat Windows. Microsoft has a wide range/world wide market, and it is very large and they have promotion ads and everything else to back them up. Windows will probably always be the number 1 OS. It takes a lot to make a good operating system and this goes beyond compatibility and drivers.

Let's try to remember that ReactOS is a open-source alternative to Windows and everything should open and free (as in freedom). ReactOS is also focusing on XP/2003 comparability at the moment, and a lot of Windows users have already moved on from that and are on Windows 7+ already. I think the most ReactOS will accomplish is maybe obtaining that 12,21% on that chart to come to ReactOS as a alternative to XP/2003. Besides, ReactOS is only coded by volunteers that work on their free time and do not get paid. They are in no shape to be competing against Microsoft.

Eventually, someone will code something that is open-source that will do everything what you are asking for, but this takes time.
Ashert

Post by Ashert »

EmuandCo wrote:No panic mode man, I am VERY sure "noone plans to build a wall" ^^ jkjk, naah noone will bundle 15 GB of drivers with ROS.
The offline version of the Snappy Driver Installer with all Drivers is 13.4 GB as Torrent. However, a torrent can also be partially downloaded. A live torrent, maintained by a small community of seeders could solve all the problems here without any server. The only important thing is hardware detection, not some form of large packages. Also Windows itself loads all the drivers separately, not from the DVD.
ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Let's try to remember that ReactOS is a open-source alternative to Windows and everything should open and free (as in freedom).
What is the advantage of open source drivers? You can develop with 100 developers a free alternative to windows, but never all drivers new. If you demand that you need ten thousand developers or the entire Linux community which until today does not support modern mainboards, HD audio chips and many other things.

This is absolutely unrealistic and the old XP hardware is dying. Even the Virtualbox can no longer support AC97 sound on modern Realtex HD soundchips. So we can also see today ReactOS does not make a single beep on modern mainboards! And if you initially used free Linux driver (or only the filesystem, some demands from the forum) ReactOS is no longer a Windows alternative. It turns into Linuxfork number 127744 or so without any special feature.

Freedom is good If you can run and want to escape from the slaveholders, not when you sit in a wheelchair in the desert.
This is the aspect of ReactOS and the window drivers!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Ashert wrote:[
What is the advantage of open source drivers?
Not relevant - you simply don't understand the concept of ReactOS and what makes something open source. None of what you say is going to change the fundamental nature of the project. Your words are all just hot air with no relevance.

Don't expect any more answers as your contributions on this thread are... pointless.

Please don't respond to this chap on this thread anymore. He is just flaming and there is no point in continuing.
Ashert

Post by Ashert »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
Ashert wrote:[
What is the advantage of open source drivers?
Not relevant - you simply don't understand the concept of ReactOS and what makes something open source. None of what you say is going to change the fundamental nature of the project.
I full understood that, we are alternative not productive, we are free to build everything but we reject any earlier work and resource management. We are the Reaction, not leaders. We have fundamentalist nostalgic nature, not visions for future or current competitors.

Yes this is not my ReactOS, it's time for a rival fork, new windows ultra deep hacks with
Licenses only as toilet paper. :roll:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Lucky you that english uses less words for more information...
Word count says 66 words. So 66 days of ban for you. I warned you. German board or not, this is for the whole forum when I say such things. See you next year.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Cruel but quite fair. :)