Environment for 0.4.2 test:
- Boot CD tested on VirtualBox 5.1.4 on Win7(64Bit) host.
- VM configuration: OS type: WinXP32, 3072MB RAM, 2 cores, VT-x + Nested Paging, AC97 + Network
- VM graphics options: 3D support + 2D hardware support enabled
- Boot CD tested on VirtualBox 5.1.22 on Win7(64Bit) host.
- VM configuration: OS type: Win2003, 2048MB RAM, 1 core, I/O-APIC off, VT-x + Nested Paging, AC97 + Network
- VM graphics options: tried both 3D support + 2D hardware support enabled resp. disabled (See note for VLC below)
- Boot CD tested on VirtualBox 5.1.22 on Win7(64Bit) host (0.4.8+: Win10, 64Bit).
- VM configuration: OS type: Win2003, 4096MB RAM, 32MB graphics memory, 1 core, I/O-APIC off, VT-x + Nested Paging, AC97 + Network
- VM graphics options: 3D support + 2D hardware support enabled
- 0.4.2 Solved in 0.4.7 Explorer and desktop don't update if files resp. shortcuts were added/removed. (Somewhat better from 0.4.5 on)
- 0.4.2-0.4.6 Solved in 0.4.7 Cut/paste of files usually doesn't work, (Copy/paste usually works). Possibly related: CORE-10871)
- 0.4.2-0.4.7 Solved in 0.4.8 Deleting folders does not work reliably or often only works after first deleting files within and doing a re-start. (CORE-12843)
- 0.4.5-0.4.6 Solved in 0.4.7 Copying/moving both files and folders at the same time (e.g. using DnD) does not work. (CORE-12674)
- 0.4.5-0.4.9 Starting/using files directly from a VBox shared folder results in error. Files have to be copied on local drive first. (CORE-10038)
- 0.4.2-0.4.7 Applications make OS freeze easily. (Task manager doesn't respond any more, so can't kill processes, only restart helps.)
- 0.4.8-0.4.9 Explorer doesn't show files pasted into or dragged to "My documents". Only F5 makes them visible. (Works in other folders.)
- 0.4.8-0.4.9 Renaming files in explorer is sometimes not possible (Ctrl or Shift key permanently "on" CORE-14707).
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Works after installation
- 0.4.2: Works after driver installation and restarts. Hint: On first start (when drivers are detected), install driver via application manager and afterwards continue with the driver detection dialog. This way the driver is already there when needed. Notes: 1.) Driver needs at 2-3 restarts before working. 2.) For unknown reasons sound was later not working any more in a VM where it initially worked.
- 0.4.5 Same as 0.4.2: Sound works, but as soon as the AC97 driver is applied, if a VirtualBox snapshot is created from running system, then starting the VM from this snapshot will result in a blue screen (BSOD) in ROS complaing about a STOP in "VBoxMouse.sys", Address F62231FD. Only Restart of the VM helps.
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Sound works after two restarts. Note: On my new Win10 host sound is now garbled whereas on my old one it is perfect.
- 0.4.2: Works after installation from VB additions. Hint: First start ReactOS in safe mode, then mount VB additions and install driver. This way the experimental 3D component can be installed as well. (If the driver is installed in normal mode adding the 3D driver in safe mode later fails.) Notes: 1) 3D didn't work for me afterwards, although driver installed seemingly OK.
- 0.4.5: Same as 0.4.2. Note that VLC player only plays videos if 2D/3D hardware acceleration is disabled/not installed.
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Works. 3D driver from guest additions must be installed in ReactOS safe mode.
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Works. Hint: This font seems basically necessary to circumvent issues with the default font which cannot display ligatures correctly.
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Works (and seems to help for applications requiring it).
- 0.4.9: Inst. works, no dependent applications tested.
- 0.4.5: Resulted in BSOD during restart after installation.
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Inst. works, no dependent applications tested.
- 0.4.5-0.4.9: Outer container deflates, but setup does not start and 7z detects a wrong checksum when extracting its files. (CORE-7646)
Contained DLL files can however be manually copied to system32 folder, which might get some application working. More comfortably, right-click on the contained .inf file and choose "Install" in the context menu. This also copies the files.
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Inst. works, no applications using it tested yet. Note however, that at least on 0.4.6-0.4.8 installation of the the C++ 2012 and 2013 runtimes fails to start if .net 2.0 and SP2 have been installed previously. (CORE-14085). They can, however installed fine before .net 2.0. On ROS 0.4.8 the installer for VC++ 2008 shows flickering and "Finish" button becomes visible only after moving window.
- 0.4.2-0.4.5: Inst. works, no applications using it tested yet
- 0.4.6: Inst. works, but java is not added to search path and "java -version" in installation folder prints nothing. It seems Java is not working. Test in browser fails too.
- 0.4.7-0.4.9: Inst. works, Browser test is OK (albeit outdated version warning). Calling "java -version", even in jre7\bin folder, prints nothing.
7zip 15.14 (via Application manager)
- 0.4.2-0.4.7: Works
- 0.4.8-0.4.9: Works
- 0.4.5-0.4.8: Works. However during two installation runs, both updating the plugin manger and installing the "compare" plugin initially failed and did only work on second (or third) attempt.
- 0.4.9: Works. However updater (gup.exe) shows error: "The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll.".
- 0.4.2: FF48.0.2 Offline inst. works, including Addons (Adblock Plus, Classic Theme Restorer). Notes: 1.)Slight UI update issues and some web pages show weird layouts compared to Win. 2.) Update of a Firefox installed via application manager failed.
- 0.4.5: Inst. of FF45 from application manager works, auto-update to v47 also successful, further auto-updates failed (Win2003 no longer supported for newer versions of Firefox.)
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Manual inst. of FF48 works, including Addons (Adblock Plus, Classic Theme Restorer). Youtube shows HTML5 videos, albeit without sound. It seems any version later than FF48 does not work up to 0.4.9.
- 0.4.2: v23.0 installation works. Notes: Livestreams still don't work, neither does youtube.
- 0.4.6-0.4.8: Flash26/27 installation works. German ARD livesteam works afterwards. (Youtube already worked before.)
- 0.4.7-0.4.8 Fails. It worked in ROS 0.4.6 (usually after 2nd download attempt), but fails to start on ROS 0.4.7+ (CORE-13952)
- 0.4.6, 0.4.9 Works thanks to revert of guilty commit (May take two attempts to download sometimes.)
FoxitReader 7.x (via Application manager)
- 0.4.2: v7.2.5 Works with reservations: Installation showed user.dll error but finished. Clicking on "File" menu brings up two error messages before continuing.
- 0.4.5-0.4.9: v7.3.5 resp. v7.3.6: Installation was cancelled by setup program due to a detected error with printer configuration.
- 0.4.6-0.4.8: Manual inst. works, Application works for viewing PDF, except for the "Start" tab showing error dialogs with unsupported characters (only squares to be seen). Sometimes the application makes ROS crash with display artifacts.
- 0.4.9: Manual inst. works, Application works for viewing PDF, except for the "Start" tab showing error dialogs with unsupported characters (only squares to be seen). Sometimes the application makes ROS crash with display artifacts or becomes unresponsive. File corruptions can happen, which results in attempts to repair them during next ROS boot.
- 0.4.2: Inst. OK, Works, Some settings pages crash application instantly (it just disappears).
- 0.4.2: Inst. OK, Works like a charm.
- 0.4.7-0.4.8: Inst. complains for missing MSVCR71.dll (C++ 2003 runtime), but continues to install and works well.
- 0.4.2, 0.4.7-0.4.8: Inst. OK, Works, Setting pages pretty much unusable (e.g. text only appears when hovering with the mouse over it)
- 0.4.2-0.4.6: 11.0.10 Fails to install. Reports a newer version is already installed (which is a lie).
- 0.4.7-0.4.8: 11.0.10 (for Win2003) Fails to download content, 11.0.08 (for WinXP) fails to initialize
- 0.4.9: 11.0.10 Starts to download, but fails to install. Reports a newer version is already installed (which is a lie).
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: 11.0.08+11.0.10 fail to install. Reports the installation has been cancelled.
- 0.4.2/0.4.5: v5.2.1: Installation works, but fails to start (takes forever)
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: v5.2.6 and v5.4.1: Installation works, application start very slow (1 minute). UI shows no cursor and reacts extremely slow, which makes editing a pain. General functions (load/save etc) work.
FSImage Viewer Freeware (http://www.faststone.org/)
- 0.4.2: v5.9 Works, only minor glitches in UI
- 0.4.5-0.4.9: v6.1 resp. 6.4: Works, only minor glitches in UI (frames in thumbnail view)
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Inst. works. Requires msvcirt.dll (from VC++6) in system32 in order to start. File dialog sees no images and DnD of image into program does't work either. By entering "*.jpg" as file name and pressing Enter, files appear. They can be loaded by double click even though "Open" button may remain greyed out. Most tested drawing/image manipulation functions work. Furthermore exiting the application does either not end process or makes ROS hang. (ROS0.4.9: Open button works in image load dialog.)
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Installation works, but program fails to start. (Separate photo album application works.)
The error on 0.4.7 reads "The instruction at "0x007dd943" referenced memory at "0x0000001c". The memory could not be "read". This is followed by a display error and a frozen ROS. Compatibiity mode (set to WinXP SP3) does not help.
- 0.4.5-0.4.9: v5.0r1 (for "WinXP or newer") - Installation works, application starts and shows welcome screen, but hangs there with 100%CPU. Can be killed with task manager. No welcome screen but same problem on next start -> unusable (CORE-14086)
- 0.4.2/0.4.6-0.4.8: Inst. works, but activating a licence or demo licence fails technically: Lots of cmd dialogs pop up and close again, and in the end the application doesn't start.
- 0.4.9: Inst. works, but trying to start the application does absolutely nothing.
- 0.4.2-0.4.7: Installation works, but startup with error message "You have selected a language that identifies an unknown locale" if German was chosen as installation language. Startup finally fails with Application error, ('The instruction at "0xx41c6d6 reference memory at "0x00000020". ...')
- 0.4.8-0.4.9: Installation is said to start, but then installer disappears and never tells it is finished. Software is installed, however. Same error message during startup as above -> not working.
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Installation works, but startup with error messages "You have selected a language that identifies an unknown locale" if German was chosen as installation language. Massive UI font issues in German version, "Reset to English" menu entry fixes them. -> CORE-13757 for the locale issues.
Startup succeeds, application is somewhat usable, but fails at important steps like setting control points and stitching. (Runs at 100% CPU forever.) CORE-13765 -> Unusable.
- 0.4.2-0.4.8: Works, albeit with some UI re-drawing issues.
- 0.4.9: Works well, no UI issues found. UI buttons are english (but menu is German)
- 0.4.2: v2.2.2 (via application manager) or v2.2.4 (manual inst.) works incl. audio, but with limitations:
1.) Some preferences pages make program crash. Hint: Use "All settings" option! 2.) Video output module must be set to "Windows GDI" (if Direct3D/DirectDraw is not working). 3.) Some videos showed image and audio out of sync (On Windows OK)
- 0.4.5-0.4.9: v2.2.6/3.0.x (manual inst.) works well. I have 2D/3D acceleration enabled and (maybe therefore) have to switch video output to "OpenGL" or "Direct3D" (slightly slower) in order for it to work. Then videos can be played, including sound.
The following are legacy versions of a German slideshow application (available in multiple languages).
Aquasoft DiaShowXP Studio 5.7.01 (Commercial)
- 0.4.2: Works well, albeit with some UI glitches (UI elements overlapping in some dialogs)
- 0.4.5: Works. No UI glitches found in a quick check. 0.4.8: After show finishes, UI is not redrawn. Sound doesn't play.
- 0.4.2: Installation stops with System error during SPTD setup but then finishes. Application works, however afterwards ReactOS show warn message on boot, trying to load an SPTD.sys which does not exist. Notes 1.) Only software player can be used if DirectX is not working, but it is completely usable.
- 0.4.6-0.4.7: Inst. works, application starts. Toolbar icons missing, but UI is usable. Playback initially failes both in software and DirectX mode, showing "Preparing show ..." screen forever. After initial start of the application and switching to software player, I did a ReactOS restart and then software playback worked. So ... "works with luck".
- 0.4.8: Inst. works, but installed link does not open application, but folder of 5.7 version (???). After loading a show, application froze at 100% CPU. Next time it worked, including playback. No sound.
- 0.4.2: Installation works, but next reboot reveals problem with SPTD.sys in System32\Drivers, which is a driver for burning CDs. Start cancels with ELocalesError "Can not get Locale info".
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Installation works, but next reboot reveals problem with SPTD.sys in System32\Drivers (Error will be shown on every reboot). Start is OK, registration with the free code works. Loading demo show as well. Toolbar icons mostly black. Playback with software player in fullscreen or window mode works (with good performance). Playback in DirectX mode fails (black screen with showing "Preparing show ..." dialog forever). No sound.
- 0.4.7: Installation works, but missing boot driver SPTD.sy prevents ROS from starting. -> Unusable. (
- 0.4.2: Installation works, but fails to start with an unhelpful error.
- 0.4.5-0.4.9: Installation fails with "Runtime error in script: Access violation at address 0045BBE4 in module 'Setup.exe'. Read of address 00000010". Compatibility mode doesn't help.
- 0.4.2-0.4.9: Installation works, but error on start. If "continue" is clicked then application starts very slowly and freezes usually before fully loaded. (CORE-13752) Unusable.
- 0.4.5: Inst. OK, but start results in blue screen (BSOD) in win32k.sys, Address F5E63A44
dxdiag (with Mesa driver installed beforehand)
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: DirectDraw test OK, Direct3D test fails.
- 0.4.6: The rendering test itself works, but the application UI is hardly usable and provides few infos.
- 0.4.9: Installation works. On start, error dialog "Errors occured while initializing Futuremark SystemInfo" ...", then application closes.
- 0.4.6: Installation fails: "Feature transfer error" -> "Not enough storage is available" (But there is plenty of HDD space, so what?)
- 0.4.9: Installation starts copying files, then BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA in NTOSKRNL.EXE, Address 808E2AF0 base at 80800000.
Bridge Constructor Playground (2D game from c't magazine 2014 CD)
- 0.4.6: Inst. OK. and game can be played, albeit without sound.
- 0.4.7-0.4.9: Inst. declares it has finished, but completely freezes ROS on pressing the Close button. After reboot it becomes obvious that installation is incomplete.
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Inst. OK. and game works well in window mode (modify options.txt for this). In fullscreen mode the mouse is extremely overreacting, making the menu almost impossible to navigate. Performance is very good. No Mesa driver required.
- 0.4.2/0.4.6: Installation works, but fails to start. Complains and aborts: "The procedure entry point GetUserDefaultLocaleName could not be located in the DLL KERNEL32.dll." Reason: This function was introduced in Vista (see CORE-13766) -> incompatible.
- 0.4.2/0.4.7-0.4.8: Installation works, but after option window only shows black window in both 2D and 3D game mode, as long as the sound is enabled (which it is by default) CORE-8380
- 0.4.2/0.4.5: Installation works, first start is extremely slow, flickering text, config dialog almost unusable (almost invisible). Subsequent starts are fast, game works fine (albeit without sound).
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Installation works, but settings dialog at start is unusable, not only because nearly invisible, but because the OK button cannot be pressed to continue.
- 0.4.9: Installation works including downloading files. Rendering extremely slowly (with Mesa driver). Performance much better without Mesa. Sound works (may be garbled as usual). Airplane can be navigated by mouse and keys.
Gramps AIO 3.4.7 (OS genealogy software, older version)
- 0.4.2/0.4.8: Works
- 0.4.6/0.4.8: Inst. works, but error at start: "System DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory [...] because [...]\GoogleEarth\client\MSVCP80.dll occupied an address range reserved for ReactOS system DLLs."
- 0.4.6-0.4.9: Mesa is required! Installation and application works in OpenGL model (performance quite good). Searching doesn't work (fails to list results or jump)
- 0.4.6-0.4.8: Requires Mesa driver! Installation and application works in OpenGL model (performance acceptable).