Live installer?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

matthew65536

Live installer?

Post by matthew65536 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:51 pm

I've thought of something that can help a lot of people, i don't know about the rest of you, but i think it would be a lot easier if React OS had a live installer inside the Live CD, because i think it would be easier instead of downloading the Live CD only to find out you would rather install this nice (but still in the works) OS, but to find out you'll have to download an install image

PurpleGurl

Re: Live installer?

Post by PurpleGurl » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:57 pm

That has been discussed in the past, having a single CD that will let you both evaluate it and install it. That would simplify things for users, and maybe eventually for devs, but there is quite a coding "cost" up front. So while it is a nice to have feature, who is going to code it when there is so much other things that need coding?

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:15 pm

It would have been easier if we had a working copy-on-write FS like btrfs. Installing then would be a snapshot dump followed by creating an overlay for user settings. Ubuntu Core and flatpak use this model. Any thoughts on placing system registry on an overlay?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm

something like a borginstaller, where copy the "standart" dll/system
into a iso or a usb and prepear an clean running WinNT on an other device..
this would be pretty nice :)
(highest infect able into an hardware without an WinNT system ;) )
with the possible for installing direct custom programs like partitonsmanager or others on the usbstick
or by generate a ISO and install/"move installed" programs directly into the iso .. or how can say that ..

best regards
Blacky

ercanersoy

Post by ercanersoy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:18 pm

I have thought of two option in ReactOS Live CD that include installer. These are text mode installer (usetup) and ReactOS Live with installer.