Page 1 of 1

the reactOS game

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:37 am
by Floyd
discussion of the game in the wiki and forum, as far as i can tell, just died.
where can i find out more about the status of the game?

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:02 am
by Sami
I dont think anybody is working for it. I made the original suggestion about the game, but I do not have time to do something about it. If anybody is interested, take a lead and go for it. You can use this wiki page for the game if you want: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Game

(There may still be someone, who does someting for the game Try to contact one of the persons listed in the wiki -page to find out)

ps. I use my spare time for fouding a ReactOS User Group for Finnish reactos endusers FRUG http://koti.mbnet.fi/frug.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:30 pm
by temarez
Hm... Reacty is interesting personage. When I look at him i think why not design Reacty MS Agent Character for usage in future help system whan it will be available? The only problem it will need some Microsoft libs.

pre-packaging open source games

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:18 am
by Floyd
i would like to see wesnoth online (http://www.wesnoth.org) and galaxy mage (http://www.galaxymage.org) be pre-packaged in with reactOS. they're awesome games.

Re: pre-packaging open source games

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:02 pm
by mikedep333
Floyd wrote:i would like to see wesnoth online (www.wesnoth.org) and galaxy mage (www.galaxymage.org) be pre-packaged in with reactOS. they're awesome games.
Large and multiple games will be something for the distros. The base ReactOS is intended to have about the amount of stuff as Windows itself.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:48 am
by menn
temarez wrote: When I look at him i think why not... Reacty MS Agent Character for usage in future help system...
reacty's ok, but i hope he won't pop up everywhere like ####ing clippy and that miserable dog. also, i feel confident saying that if ros org can create an entire NT kernal, gui, and os, they can probably create a help system that doesn't require ms libs, or get one that is gpl already suiting the task. when i tell clippy to #### off he comes back anyway :( some programs just don't know the meaning of "N"...

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:42 am
by temarez
menn wrote:reacty's ok, but i hope he won't pop up everywhere like ####ing clippy and that miserable dog ...
... when i tell clippy to #### off he comes back anyway :( some programs just don't know the meaning of "N"...
Some people say that MS Agents technology is useless and annoying. And it really is in such cases (what else could we expect from MS?) But it makes informing more unobtrusive when it is used in right place and in right time. IMHO it is much more convenient then modal dialog in the center of screen with text like "WARNING! You can't do anything until you close me!" :-)

Re: pre-packaging open source games

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:26 pm
by Floyd
mikedep333 wrote:
Floyd wrote:i would like to see wesnoth online (www.wesnoth.org) and galaxy mage (www.galaxymage.org) be pre-packaged in with reactOS. they're awesome games.
Large and multiple games will be something for the distros. The base ReactOS is intended to have about the amount of stuff as Windows itself.
i hope they don't have distros, quite honestly.

Re: pre-packaging open source games

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:48 am
by Mrkaras
Floyd wrote: i hope they don't have distros, quite honestly.
I'll second that, though i'm sure somebody will oneday

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:39 pm
by counting_pine
ReactOS distros wouldn't have the same problem as Linux distros. The difference is, that ReactOS has a definitive standard to follow: Windows. If something that works in Windows doesn't work in ReactOS, then something's wrong.
If in the future there are ReactOS distros, I doubt it will get to the stage where you have to do things like download programs in specific packages, depending on which version of which distro you're using. You'd just download the Windows install program.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:47 pm
by ROSRox
I think It would be cool to implement a whole bunch :) of themes! That would make many people want to get it to make it how they want instead of sticking to Luna or classic designs of Windows. Also, I think that they should have like 5 packages.
Basic = Main ROS files and web support
Gaming = Basic + DirectX or whatever we have to help games run
Office = Basic + Office apps or Open Office
Media = Basic + Media players and codecs
Total = Basic + Gaming + Office + Media + anything else we can throw in without having too many things...

I think it wouldn't be too hard, but then again, I'm just 15. I just want to run this cool game called Tibia.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:54 am
by Floyd
ROSRox wrote:I think It would be cool to implement a whole bunch :) of themes! That would make many people want to get it to make it how they want instead of sticking to Luna or classic designs of Windows. Also, I think that they should have like 5 packages.
Basic = Main ROS files and web support
Gaming = Basic + DirectX or whatever we have to help games run
Office = Basic + Office apps or Open Office
Media = Basic + Media players and codecs
Total = Basic + Gaming + Office + Media + anything else we can throw in without having too many things...

I think it wouldn't be too hard, but then again, I'm just 15. I just want to run this cool game called Tibia.
i think the ideas proposed earlier would be best, that is offer a "fat" download with lots of apps, a "thin" download with the barebones system (both with "package managers"--shudder; linux and it's packages and dependency hell would be horrible on windows) and a "server" download (probably a while after the "client" version is finished).

Tibia looks like a cool game.